Just wanted to say, it is so stupid that Designer doesn't have macros but Photo does. I have no doubt this was a marketing decision to encourage users to buy the full suite, which is very irritating because I'd rather NOT have to switch to photo everytime I need to run a macro operation. 

Extremely dumb. 

If you have Publisher you can use StudioLink to run your macros without the need to fire up APhoto.

Additionally (and more beneficial) you can record and playback specific Designer (and Publisher) commands that you don't have access to if just running APhoto

2 hours ago, junovhs said:

I have no doubt this was a marketing decision to encourage users to buy the full suite,

Resistance is futile, you will comply (eventually)

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

11 hours ago, junovhs said:

I have no doubt this was a marketing decision to encourage users to buy the full suite

I've got all three apps on the Mac and both on the iPad - and have been lurking around these forums for several years.  I could be wrong but, frankly, Serif doesn't strike me as the sort of company that would stoop to such underhand tactics.  If nothing else, it would be a rather contrived approach to their goal of world domination. :)

—— Gary ——
macOS: 10.14.6
iOS: current release
Photo/Designer/Publisher: current releases

Not sure what great plus macros should offer there for AD then, since either way, the Macro capabilities like in APh are pretty limited in their overall offered functionality. Scripting support with a rich set of accessible functions would probably be instead more useful to have here for AD and in general. - StudioLink, well it's more or less sort of a way towards an integrated system (same scheme as some former time tools in the past already offered all in one package) due to the apps shared proprietary file format, but actually without licensing also a copy of Publisher the whole is in its current state pretty useless.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

StudioLink, well it's more or less sort of a way towards an integrated system (same scheme as some former time tools in the past already offered all in one package) due to the apps shared proprietary file format, but actually without licensing also a copy of Publisher the whole is in its current state pretty useless.

Yes, you need to license Publisher to get StudioLink, but it's well worth the money, in my opinion, even if you do nothing else with Publisher but use it to improve the integration of Designer and Photo. And it also gets you Find/Replace for text, improvements to Frame Text, and some other functions that are useful in Designer and that may remain Publisher exclusives. As well as some enhanced macro capabilities, as Carl mentioned.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, you need to license Publisher to get StudioLink, but it's well worth the money, in my opinion, even if you do nothing else with Publisher but use it to improve the integration of Designer and Photo. And it also gets you Find/Replace for text, improvements to Frame Text, and some other functions that are useful in Designer and that may remain Publisher exclusives. As well as some enhanced macro capabilities, as Carl mentioned.

That sounds somehow like the OP then is right with his marketing wise assumptions. - Honestly, APub doesn't yet in its early state offer most of the functionality (book/manual projects, seperate chapter file handling, indexing over several files, cross-references, sidenotes/footnotes, equation math handling, SGML/XML, ePub, HTML ...and so on...) I would personally have more a need for. Find/replace (?), well that's usually what I call a mandatory function for every app which claims to deal/work with probably lot of texts. Further I'm not sure if StudioLink would be a possible memory hog for/on older not that performant systems.

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That sounds somehow like the OP then is right with his marketing wise assumptions

There may well be some marketing involved, but I seem to recall anther answer from Serif that part of it is segregating functions to keep the individual applications focused and their UIs simpler than if everything were in one app.

As regards needing Find/Replace, I think that Serif will say that Publisher is now the app anyone dealing with a lot of text should be using. Users may have had no choice but to use Designer for that in the past, but now they do.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There may well be some marketing involved, but I seem to recall anther answer from Serif that part of it is segregating functions to keep the individual applications focused and their UIs simpler than if everything were in one app.

Maybe, though in their beginnings they've gone that route, looking here at "Designer Persona/Pixel Persona" or APhotos vector support (even more limited).

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As regards needing Find/Replace, I think that Serif will say that Publisher is now the app anyone dealing with a lot of text should be using. Users may have had no choice but to use Designer for that in the past, but now they do.

Personally I still can't realy imagine of writing longer text passages in any Affinity app, they don't offer that much of a good visual reading/writing experience. Thus I for my part prefer to write text with other dedicated tools, which BTW also offer here much more and better text/word handling capabilities, be it find/replace, multiple cursor selection changes, word count and corrections etc. Thus I would write elsewhere and paste over the reviewed text just for L&F formating purposes.