dannac

Affinity Designer create color swatch

I've made a couple of color swatches from photos.

I realize there is an export option for the swatch, and it is a AFPALETTE file.

Is there a way to save or export to be used in another program ?

Where is the file location they are saved to ?

Danna

32 minutes ago, dannac said:

Can the color swatches be exported to be used in another program ?

Affinity programs only, Designer, Photo and Publisher.

33 minutes ago, dannac said:

Where is the file location they are saved to ?

You can export them to any location you like using the same menu from the swatches pallet.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.337 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.127 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

Thanks Old Bruce

The reason I asked where they are saved to is, I cannot find the swatches I saved.

Did a search for * . afpalette and I do not see my saved swatches.

Hi, dannac,

Perhaps the search failed because  you searched on . afpalette and not .afpalette

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

1 hour ago, gdenby said:

Hi, dannac,

Perhaps the search failed because  you searched on . afpalette and not .afpalette

:) I had just put the spaces here to make it easier to see.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, dannac said:

I had just put the spaces here to make it easier to see.

tip.gif Use the code (‘<>’) button on the toolbar. When you type *.afpalette into the box that pops up and then press the ‘Insert into post’ button, the result is:

*.afpalette

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

@dannac 

1. On Mac, from the Swatches Panel, click the burger menu
  2. Select Create Palette From Document > as System Palette this will create a .clr file that is placed in the user/library/color folder it shows in Affinity with a black apple logo at its side.

Any app on the system can use that palette. 

Not sure what it's like for windows.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@dannac 

1. On Mac, from the Swatches Panel, click the burger menu
  2. Select Create Palette From Document > as System Palette this will create a .clr file that is placed in the user/library/color folder it shows in Affinity with a black apple logo at its side.

Any app on the system can use that palette. 

Not sure what it's like for windows.

Windows only has the options for Application and Document, no System.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

4 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Windows only has the options for Application and Document, no System.

FWIW, Mac System palettes (with the .clr extension) are related to the Apple Color Picker, accessible from the View menu in the Mac versions of the Affinity apps. These .clr files can be stored in several different places besides in the user/library/color folder -- the Mac OS automatically makes them available in any app that can access System palettes.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1