You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recurring 'Wet Edges' bug when switching brushes

Hello there,

As much as I'm loving the new Brush Editor features, there's a bug that's been around since the current stable Designer and Photo versions. I've reported it a couple of times already and I hope this issue gets addressed, because it really ruins the experience when using advanced features from the brush panel.

When you add the Wet Edges option to a brush (from the editor), this option gets deactivated or non-recognized back when switching tools using the brush command key (B) and many times, when selecting the brush manually from the brushes panel. Let's say I need to erase something; I switch to the Eraser using (E), then I want to go back to my brush using (B) and when I do that, Wet Edges are switched off automatically, unless I double-select that brush... then, Wet Edges are back on. It totally ignores the stored brush settings.

This affects dramatically the way brushes were originally designed.

1440500192_ScreenShot2019-03-29at7_32_57AM.thumb.png.407a8d0cc05a9bd86d04007f7756cb84.png

1427023355_ScreenShot2019-03-29at7_55_29AM.thumb.png.1a89ba54542fdb671134e5bbd79f7a66.png

Thank you!

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

• Staff

Hey Frankentoon,

I myself an a little unsure of why this happens. I did log it with the developers a while back and I'm waiting to hear back from some new queries that I've just submitted with them.

If you enable 'Wet Edges' on the context toolbar, this should be retained when switching tools—I'm just not sure why changing the setting in the brush editor doesn't currently do this when the Help describes this as the default behaviour for that brush.

Apparently this is more difficult to sort out than expected. Hopefully Matt and the guys look up on this, since it's really defeating the purpose of having such a great feature as custom wet edges. 

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

• 6 months later...

Please fix this... It's very annoying. I thought all the brushes were supposed to act like this but it turned out that there's an option that overwrites the brush wet edges setting in the context menu and it always turns itself back on even if unchecked manually. Honestly, just remove it altogether (from the context menu I mean). That's better than having it on all the time. It's a specific thing, it shouldn't he the default.

Edit: I'm on Windows 10 btw.

• 2 months later...

Wow.  I saw this bug a looooooonnnnng time ago and haven't used Affinity Designer's brushes since then.  So long ago, that I forgot about it. Today I decided to try AD again and IMMEDIATELY I came upon this bug.  Like, I made a single brush stroke, erased, and there was the problem.  How in the world is this bug still not fixed?  I can understand that the problem is wet edges, but there's no visible change in the settings when the bug happens.  Use a brush that has wet edges.  Erase once, then make a new stroke and the new stroke will be different.  That difference is wet edges, even though in the settings nothing has changed.  To "fix" it, you can change any setting.  increase the size of the brush by 1 pixel or move any adjustment by any amount and it resolves the problem, until you erase again of course.  So essentially, any brush that uses wet edges is almost unusable, or at least you can't erase while using those brushes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The bug still here.

When the "wet edges" checkbox on the toolbar is off, I select the brush that has this setting turned on, and the checkbox on the toolbar becomes turned on. When I switch to the eraser and back, the checkbox becomes turned off.

If you turn it on manually, it does not reset when switching between the eraser and the brush.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.