You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've found that having object styles available makes it easier for me to place graphics faster, as I can set a standard text wrap and apply it quickly. I've also used it to create standardized sidebars with simple designs when I don't want to create new graphics for all of them.

I've also found a few other features that other folks suggested that I also liked (e.g. book files), so I've been using the "Like" button to indicate agreement rather than posting my own thread or adding more posts to theirs. Not sure if that's the right way to go about this, but hopefully the admins will be able to see that.

Thanks for your hard work!

7 hours ago, Colin_Fredericks said:

I've found that having object styles available makes it easier for me to place graphics faster, as I can set a standard text wrap and apply it quickly. I've also used it to create standardized sidebars with simple designs when I don't want to create new graphics for all of them.

I've not had much chance to explore it, but I think Symbols might be made to behave like object styles.

17 hours ago, Wireman said:

I've not had much chance to explore it, but I think Symbols might be made to behave like object styles.

No, they're a cool feature but they're for a different purpose.

Symbols allow you to make multiple copies of the exact same object in multiple places. If you alter one of them, you alter all of them. For instance, if you're writing a game book and you want to have one particular shape that means "this takes two actions", you could change that from an arabic 2 to a roman II and it would change in every location where you placed that symbol. (Which is great.)

What I'm looking for is something that, for example, sets the color and border and wrapping of a text box but allows each instance of that box to have different text inside. If I made my sidebars as symbols, every sidebar would have the same text - unless I "detach" it, in which case changes to the original no longer affect it.

Much of what you ask about is already implemented in all Affinity apps…

• Either create an asset (eg a sidebar that you commonly use) which can then be dragged in to any document you create.
  • Or use Styles (View > Studio > Styles) which can then be applied to any object with a single click.
  • Or if you don't need to reuse styling outside the current document it is quicker to Copy an object that has the style you want to use, then Paste Style on the new object.
  • Or you can Synchronize Defaults from Selection (icon on main toolbar) so that newly created objects inherit the style of the selection.

However the additional functionality in Publisher does not seem to be supported yet…

• Wrap options don't save to styles.
  • The additional properties unique to picture frames don't seem to save to Styles.

While investigating I also uncovered bugs in both the styles panel and wrap options that I will report in a new thread.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

5 hours ago, Colin_Fredericks said:

What I'm looking for is something that, for example, sets the color and border and wrapping of a text box but allows each instance of that box to have different text inside. If I made my sidebars as symbols, every sidebar would have the same text - unless I "detach" it, in which case changes to the original no longer affect it.

Yep. That doesn't seem to be implemented. Unless Assets can do that.

Full disclosure: I'm a huge InDesign object styles user. I'd love there to be an already existing equivalent in AfPub - largely because I know that retro-fitting that kind of functionality can turn a brilliant app into Adobe-bloat.

There's a bunch of stuff available in AfPub text styles that would require object styles in InDesign. Maybe we should all explore what has been implemented before demanding changes to the functionality.

Edited by Wireman
Additional thinking

The Style will currently do Stroke and Fill (as well as Layer Effects) and can be applied to any object.

Assets are simply a (personal or shared) library of objects which can be dragged into the current document. They are clones of the original object so will have every feature (including Wrap options) that you applied to the original.

Unlike Symbols, they have no link back to the original, so once places all changes are local to that copy.

I believe however that you can make Assets out of Symbols… but we may be getting ahead of ourselves!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

13 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Much of what you ask about is already implemented in all Affinity apps…

Not really. 

I assume you worked very little in publishing before.

What we need is proper Object Styles so that you can specify such things like:

1. X, Y Dimension.

2. Position on the page.

3. Fill and Stroke options.

4. Wrapping options. Yes, they belong here and not in the Paragraph Styles.

5. Paragraph styles associated with a given box (in case of text boxes)

6. Autosize options

7. Anchored object

etc

What we have at the moment is very basic.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

The power of InDesign are styles. Object styles are useful for so many things: Standardizing colors for icons and other graphics, making repeatable content with vertically aligned text in a box, etc. Because Affinity styles are so useless (you cannot overwrite them), this is a missing feature from all Designer, Photo and now Publisher.

• 2 years later...

Object styles should really work more like character styles: you should be able to turn on and off individual aspects of the "formatting" (styling) and the objects should be linked back to the styles so that if you update the style the objects automatically follow suit.

That said, this has also been discussed in other threads.

• 9 months later...