David Hassell

Stripped IPTC and Metadata is a Deal Breaker

I am a serious amateur photographer who concentrates on travel and family photography.

I am using Affinity Photo on a trial basis and I am highly impressed with AP's outstanding editing capabilities, ease of use and superb learning videos and tutorials.

However, I have just discovered that almost all of my metadata is LOST after exporting files in JPG format! On studying this Forum, I note that any posters have expressed the same concern.

This is a deal breaker for me and it will be a great disappointment not to proceed with AP purchase, unless anyone can advise:-

1. is there a workaround for this most basic requirement? and

2. is AP planning to correct this problem in the very near future?

I am sure there must be hundreds of potential purchasers who are turning away from AP for the same reason.

I am evaluating Affinity as an alternative to PS, but the lack of ability to quickly store byline, copyright and caption is a bit of a show stopper for me.

Yes, there is third party software out there that will do this but why should I complicate my workflow?

It isn't as if writing metadat is that complex.

Imatch is Windows only, bummer. Us Mac users get no respect.:D

Any other metadata solutions that might integrate seamlessly?

I too am disappointed that AP is not more metadata robust. Such a basic need by serious photographers

Please, Serif, add this important feature to Affinity Photo. 

I have just discovered that you can’t edit metadata I sell quite a few images online and it’s an absolute must for me. I am using a Mac and an I pad pro and have purchased both affinity photo and designer and trying the beta version of publisher  I really like the software and I want to stop using photoshop but I am going to have to until this metadata problem is sorted. I will try and find a resolution and post if I do

I'm using Affinity's trial version as well, with the intention to buy it and stop paying the monthly subscription to PS. Looking for other solution to edit metadata, until Serif adds the feature to Affinity. Hopefully soon.

XNVIEW is not a bad choice. It's not pretty but works similar to Adobe Bridge. You can also set it up to send files to Affinity. Once you are done and export it, you can input the IPTC data back in XNVIEW. It would be similar a  Bridge->Adobe Camera Raw->Photoshop workflow. It is free for personal use, but ask for licensing money if you are using it for a business.

https://www.xnview.com/en/

I just recently decided to start using metadata and tagging the thousands of photos in my collection.  I was impressed that Gimp, Rawtherapee, Xnview, many other freeware and open source programs--along with the big guys like Photoshop, and newcomers like ON1--have added metadata editing capabilities.  

Imagine my surprise to find that my favorite image editor--Affinity--has no ability to edit metadata at all!  And worse, when I add metadata with another program first in my workflow (in my case, in Rawtherapee), then push it to AP, AP strips the metadata I added when I save the file in AP.  Unbelievable!

This is a rather stunning oversight on the part of Affinity.  I mean really, really bad.  Although I have already paid for 1.7 of both products (AP and AD), I'm re-evaluating whether I will be using this software going forward.  I don't have a lot of confidence in a company that could have software that's this far along in its development, and overlooking something that seems so  basic to the industry and any competent image editing app--the ability to tag assets in a very detailed way for finding and sorting.  

A lot of work has been done for 1.8 changing the EXIF panel into the Metadata panel, where editable elements are editable and read-only elements are presented. We look forward to your feedback during the forthcoming beta cycle

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

That's fair, thanks for reply.  Glad to hear it!   Given that it's planned in 1.8, I will probably stay onboard and try to get by with Xnview for tagging my assets. 

je suis vraiment désappointer de ne pas trouver un éditeur exif pour gérer les mots cles, fonction indispensable pour gerer des collections de photos, ainsi qu'un module recherche