Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Affinity for Linux


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Requester said:

I voted as well, but for Affinity Designer:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=37277

you have a limited amount of votes, instead of spreading them throughout the suite let's keep the votes contained in the same app, the one that Redsandro linked. The issue is most likely the same across the board but it'll take us longer to get there if we spread out the votes

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, m.vlad said:

you have a limited amount of votes, instead of spreading them throughout the suite let's keep the votes contained in the same app, the one that Redsandro linked. The issue is most likely the same across the board but it'll take us longer to get there if we spread out the votes

That's true, but i need the Affinity Designer much much much more than the Affinity Photo.

Photoshop CS5 has Platinum at wine and runs fine. So you all can get a license for Photoshop CS5 and run at Linux.

And many other versions have Gold. That's because Photoshop is the second most voted application on wine!

 

Illustrator has Platinum for Version 8.0 only (Which had been released at 1998!) and most versions are Garbage rated.

 

So it is only just fair, that everybody votes for his needs. Don't be angry ... better than no votes at all!

But as there are many Photoshop versions already running fine, I think the demand for Designer is greater by far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Requester said:

That's true, but i need the Affinity Designer much much much more than the Affinity Photo.

Photoshop CS5 has Platinum at wine and runs fine. So you all can get a license for Photoshop CS5 and run at Linux.

And many other versions have Gold. That's because Photoshop is the second most voted application on wine!

 

Illustrator has Platinum for Version 8.0 only (Which had been released at 1998!) and most versions are Garbage rated.

 

So it is only just fair, that everybody votes for his needs. Don't be angry ... better than no votes at all!

But as there are many Photoshop versions already running fine, I think the demand for Designer is greater by far.

You don't get it, affinity photo already has the bugs attached to it. The Affinity suite has the same core code, and it's that code that's bugging out (working on the artboards, making new documents). I have barely used affinity photo myself and i'm also an affinity designer user mainly but consider this: if hypothetically no one here has an account before now, and they use their vote for this only, we only need 130 more people to vote (AP has 18 votes at the time of this comment). If we split the votes up it's more than double that to get both to 407 and even more if we also have publisher people vote for that app separately.
For this purpose of porting the suite, one app should cover most bases as they share a large chunk of their code. That's why I said earlier to keep the votes contained in one app, not because I'm a Photo user.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Requester said:

but i need the Affinity Designer much much much more than the Affinity Photo.

same

1 hour ago, m.vlad said:

You don't get it, affinity photo already has the bugs attached to it. The Affinity suite has the same core code, and it's that code that's bugging out (working on the artboards, making new documents). I have barely used affinity photo myself and i'm also an affinity designer user mainly but consider this: if hypothetically no one here has an account before now, and they use their vote for this only, we only need 130 more people to vote (AP has 18 votes at the time of this comment). If we split the votes up it's more than double that to get both to 407 and even more if we also have publisher people vote for that app separately.
For this purpose of porting the suite, one app should cover most bases as they share a large chunk of their code. That's why I said earlier to keep the votes contained in one app, not because I'm a Photo user.

True, so we all need to vote only for Affinity Photo: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, m.vlad said:

You don't get it, affinity photo already has the bugs attached to it. The Affinity suite has the same core code, and it's that code that's bugging out (working on the artboards, making new documents). I have barely used affinity photo myself and i'm also an affinity designer user mainly but consider this: if hypothetically no one here has an account before now, and they use their vote for this only, we only need 130 more people to vote (AP has 18 votes at the time of this comment). If we split the votes up it's more than double that to get both to 407 and even more if we also have publisher people vote for that app separately.
For this purpose of porting the suite, one app should cover most bases as they share a large chunk of their code. That's why I said earlier to keep the votes contained in one app, not because I'm a Photo user.

You convinced me to vote for Photo. Since you can change your 3 votes at will for any product, it was no problem to change that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me too voted just now.  I really just want an illustrator alternative. Does anyone know where to get old illustrator versions? This seems to indicate it only goes as far back as CS6:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/install-older-version-of-illustrator/m-p/10360849

3 hours ago, Requester said:

Illustrator has Platinum for Version 8.0 only (Which had been released at 1998!) and most versions are Garbage rated.

 

I'd totally settle for Illustator 8 from 1998 if I could find it somewhere! I bet that's pretty much impossible...

Btw one foreseeable drawback to this plan of voting for Photo even though we want Designer is that others who aren't tuned in to our strategy  will look at that and just go "I'm good with gimp, why bother with this?" 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bog said:

Btw one foreseeable drawback to this plan of voting for Photo even though we want Designer is that others who aren't tuned in to our strategy  will look at that and just go "I'm good with gimp, why bother with this?" 

Then they should rather still vote for Designer than not vote at all.

But if they also recognize, that the chances for Designer increases, if they vote for Photo, they might vote for Photo as well as I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we can seriously get 150 people to cast 3 votes for Affinity Photo, then the next 150 people can vote for Affinity Designer and they'll both be the top two.

Keep in mind that this is an interesting experiment (Thanks @Bez Bezson, I didn't even know about that vote option) to get attention from wine devs checking the list. It is not a guarantee that someone will fix the wine problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing against getting this to work with Wine, but is the community that small or does it just not reach that many people? 400 votes seems like it should be easy if there really was a large group of people wanting Affinity on Linux. The 400+ number is even smaller when you consider you can vote 3 times. So really like 140 people voting for something. With the amount of posts and threads on Linux I would think you would blow everything else out of the water with votes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 7:45 PM, m.vlad said:

Tbh i didn't even see there's a vote thing there, also you need to register there as well, so we're now at 3-5 barriers of entry to gauge interest? We've got people who use the forums, who've seen this thread, and now who've been to the wineHQ page for affinity photo in particular, are registered and voted for the program?

 

3 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Nothing against getting this to work with Wine, but is the community that small or does it just not reach that many people? 400 votes seems like it should be easy if there really was a large group of people wanting Affinity on Linux. The 400+ number is even smaller when you consider you can vote 3 times. So really like 140 people voting for something. With the amount of posts and threads on Linux I would think you would blow everything else out of the water with votes.

All the things I mentioned in my previous post. Using this as the method to gauge interest is flawed because it has so many barriers that will filter out people before they can actually say "me too!"

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Nothing against getting this to work with Wine, but is the community that small or does it just not reach that many people? 400 votes seems like it should be easy if there really was a large group of people wanting Affinity on Linux. The 400+ number is even smaller when you consider you can vote 3 times. So really like 140 people voting for something. With the amount of posts and threads on Linux I would think you would blow everything else out of the water with votes. 

This a very flawed way of judging interest. The community is very large, I mean it dominates literally ever form of computing except for the desktop so it's pretty significant. The size of the community should never be judged by how many people post on a forum thread, or vote on the WINEhq website. For example, I have never bothered to vote on the WINEhq website for any of Serif products, yet I have commented many times on this forum thread. There is no way to actually gauge interest without Serif themselves asking the question.

I switched to Linux well over a decade ago as my only OS and this was before Affinity Photo existed so I only heard about it last year. This means there are a LOT of people who would be interested but just dont know of the software because why on Earth would they be looking for Windows alternatives to Photoshop?

If Serif truly wants to know how many people are interested and if it is worth doing they should just ask the question to the Linux community. I have a podcast with a decent sized audience so I could get the word out of them asking the question but I do need them to ask the question and provide a way for Linux users to answer it.

Serif could go one step farther with a Kickstarter to not only see people's interest but also to let people put money where their mouth is and buy pre-orders of the software. I would gladly do that for example.

Serif has the ability to easily find out if it is worth their time or not but likely they will just assume it isnt because research is rare these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Michael Tunnell said:

If Serif truly wants to know how many people are interested and if it is worth doing they should just ask the question to the Linux community. I have a podcast with a decent sized audience so I could get the word out of them asking the question but I do need them to ask the question and provide a way for Linux users to answer it.

I don't think Serif has interest at this point in time, but we have interest in getting Wine support. So if you have a decent sized audience, you could offer them the WineHQ voting experiment and see if they want to help vote Affinity Photo to the top of the list. 😃

You could tell them about the community effort to get attention from the Wine team, not Serif.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

I don't think Serif has interest at this point in time, but we have interest in getting Wine support. So if you have a decent sized audience, you could offer them the WineHQ voting experiment and see if they want to help vote Affinity Photo to the top of the list. 😃

You could tell them about the community effort to get attention from the Wine team, not Serif.

This is not a practical thing to do. What incentive is there for a community campaign to support a proprietary piece of software that has no interest in supporting the platform? If Serif were to ask the question it means they have some level of interest to make it happen which in turn means people would be excited to participate. If Serif has no interest then where is the incentive for anyone? WINE would be doing work to make it function on the platform and the only outcome of that work is that Serif gets paid for people who use the software off of the work of WINE. Why would WINE be interested in that without Serif's involvement?

If Serif said "yes we would like to know how many people are interested and we want to do this survey" then that is something worth promoting because the company who makes it is behind finding out. If Serif has no interest and will never have interest then I don't see how we can excite the community or developers to be interested in it as a Photoshop alternative. Adobe is big enough so they get WINE work regardless, Serif is not big enough . . . it is what it is.

Serif could easily find out the level of interest if they really wanted to and I can help them do that but I do need them to want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Tunnell said:

If Serif has no interest then where is the incentive for anyone? WINE would be doing work to make it function on the platform and the only outcome of that work is that Serif gets paid for people who use the software off of the work of WINE. Why would WINE be interested in that without Serif's involvement?

Wine's ultimate goal is to provide a Windows application layer in Linux with 1:1 compatibility. Getting Photo and Designer running would mean, at the very least, that they now cover one extra use case they didn't previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Redsandro said:

I don't think Serif has interest at this point in time, but we have interest in getting Wine support.

  

3 hours ago, Michael Tunnell said:

This is not a practical thing to do. What incentive is there for a community campaign to support a proprietary piece of software that has no interest in supporting the platform? If Serif were to ask the question it means they have some level of interest to make it happen which in turn means people would be excited to participate. If Serif has no interest then where is the incentive for anyone? WINE would be doing work to make it function on the platform and the only outcome of that work is that Serif gets paid for people who use the software off of the work of WINE. Why would WINE be interested in that without Serif's involvement?

If Serif said "yes we would like to know how many people are interested and we want to do this survey" then that is something worth promoting because the company who makes it is behind finding out. If Serif has no interest and will never have interest then I don't see how we can excite the community or developers to be interested in it as a Photoshop alternative. Adobe is big enough so they get WINE work regardless, Serif is not big enough . . . it is what it is.

Serif could easily find out the level of interest if they really wanted to and I can help them do that but I do need them to want to.

 

I agree with what a lot of you are saying- Serif (mistakenly) doesn't understand the opportunity here, so I think this is futile. As exemplified by @Mark Ingram recently using the idea that the number of people here talking about a linux version is a metric. That's an absurd lame "metric".  It's a circular argument: 

In essence it goes like this: "Why should we approach the linux community, obviously they don't want it because we haven't heard very  much from them."  That makes no sense; for example I had never even heard of Affinity until like 3 months ago.  ..... because I run linux.  See the circle there? "The reason aliens don't exist in the universe is that I haven't seen one."

"The reason we don't support linux is that there's no demand." 

Should instead be stated:

"The reason there's no demand is that we don't support linux." 

They have this attitude that they're the gold and we're supposed to be bending over backwards to get it. No, they' don't understand, *WE* are where the gold is; a wide-open hungry market.  They should be bending over backwards for us, not the other way around.  We shouldn't need this whole plan of getting votes for wine support, they should have some of their devs in their making it happen, regardless of whatever votes there. 

I say we should just give up. They don't get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Michael Tunnell said:

This a very flawed way of judging interest. The community is very large, I mean it dominates literally ever form of computing except for the desktop so it's pretty significant. The size of the community should never be judged by how many people post on a forum thread, or vote on the WINEhq website. For example, I have never bothered to vote on the WINEhq website for any of Serif products, yet I have commented many times on this forum thread. There is no way to actually gauge interest without Serif themselves asking the question.

I switched to Linux well over a decade ago as my only OS and this was before Affinity Photo existed so I only heard about it last year. This means there are a LOT of people who would be interested but just dont know of the software because why on Earth would they be looking for Windows alternatives to Photoshop?

If Serif truly wants to know how many people are interested and if it is worth doing they should just ask the question to the Linux community. I have a podcast with a decent sized audience so I could get the word out of them asking the question but I do need them to ask the question and provide a way for Linux users to answer it.

Serif could go one step farther with a Kickstarter to not only see people's interest but also to let people put money where their mouth is and buy pre-orders of the software. I would gladly do that for example.

Serif has the ability to easily find out if it is worth their time or not but likely they will just assume it isnt because research is rare these days.

Before any of that, I think that all us had better start pulling in the same direction (even if we'd like to see all three Affinity apps come to Linux one way or another) by doing what @Redsandro suggested and vote up Affinity Photo at Wine HQ so that it becomes more prominent and gets noticed -  https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

All it requires is a simple registration and casting your votes and no expense is involved (and yes, I have already done this).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bog said:

  

 

I agree with what a lot of you are saying- Serif (mistakenly) doesn't understand the opportunity here, so I think this is futile. As exemplified by @Mark Ingram recently using the idea that the number of people here talking about a linux version is a metric. That's an absurd lame "metric".  It's a circular argument: 

In essence it goes like this: "Why should we approach the linux community, obviously they don't want it because we haven't heard very  much from them."  That makes no sense; for example I had never even heard of Affinity until like 3 months ago.  ..... because I run linux.  See the circle there? "The reason aliens don't exist in the universe is that I haven't seen one."

"The reason we don't support linux is that there's no demand." 

Should instead be stated:

"The reason there's no demand is that we don't support linux." 

They have this attitude that they're the gold and we're supposed to be bending over backwards to get it. No, they' don't understand, *WE* are where the gold is; a wide-open hungry market.  They should be bending over backwards for us, not the other way around.  We shouldn't need this whole plan of getting votes for wine support, they should have some of their devs in their making it happen, regardless of whatever votes there. 

I say we should just give up. They don't get it.

However, there is now a no-cost opportunity for us to collectively and practically demonstrate our interest in getting the Affinity products to work on Linux but it involves not whining but getting off our asses, registering with Wine HQ and voting, voting and voting again right here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

However, there is now a no-cost opportunity for us to collectively and practically demonstrate our interest in getting the Affinity products to work on Linux but it involves not whining but getting off our asses, registering with Wine HQ and voting, voting and voting again right here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39311

Yea actually I already did, dude, scroll up.  👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.