You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity for Linux

On 12/18/2020 at 4:13 PM, Redsandro said:

What if it was the other way around? Would you notice? As @justajeffy said. This is not uncommon.

I vividly remember the video compositor called Shake. For years, Shake was $2999 for Mac OS X and $4999 for Linux. Some time after Apple bought Shake, the price for OS X dropped to $499 while the price for Linux stayed at $4999.

I would not notice if I was not shopping for that version, that does not justify it though unless there is something different about the version.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2014 at 9:17 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

Hi,

Affinity is about, amongst other things, the "experience" of designing things.. 60fps, fluid navigation and editing of documents is at the heart of what we do.

WINE is a wonderful project, but I don't think it would work for Affinity - performance is close to native, but support for things like our use of OpenGL / input interaction would take some work. It also assumes a Windows build to map onto WINE libs - which we don't have. You have more chance of convincing us to make a native Linux version than a WINE one..

I won't rule out making a Linux version of Affinity, but I need someone to show me a combination of distro, desktop topology and deployment (paid) platform where we would recoup our development costs. If someone can show me that, I'll be willing to talk some more about it all..

Hope this helps,

AndyS

Hi there,

Not certain if this problem could be alleviated by the rise of snaps and flatpaks, you can then choose a distro environment and create the snap or flatpak and it bundles all the dependencies with it, regardless of the consumers specific distro.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-snap-and-flatpak-are-so-important-to-linux/

The end part of the article may help regarding your questions regarding distro etc.

Kind regards,

Jp

Regarding some already working commercial paid linux apps:

Autodesk Eagle

https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/free-download?plc=F360&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1

says for linux requirements:

LINUX    Linux® based on kernel 2.6 for Intel computers, X11 with a minimum color depth of 8 bpp, the following runtime libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0, libcrypto.so.1.0.0, and CUPS for printing.

For the 64-bit version EAGLE requires a 64 bit-operating system and libc.so.6 with sub version GLIBC_2.14 or higher.

and (just tried) you get *.tar.gz - no particular distribution specified... My colleague is using it on linux machine so could possibly tell me more...

SoftMaker Office - for Windows, Mac and Linux

https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-download

For 64-bit Linux systems:
.rpm package for RPM-based 64-bit systems
.deb package for DEB-based 64-bit systems
.tgz package for other 64-bit systems

Lightworks

https://www.lwks.com

Linux Supported Debian Distros:
Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu 18.04 and higher
Mint 17 and higher
Linux Supported RPM Distros:
Fedora 30 and higher

I am also using paid VueScan scanning software in linux and was quite satisfied with Kolor Autopano Giga photo stitching app (unfortunately discontinued and later acquired by GoPro as I remember)

So I would say that paying users expect you to manage compatibility for mainstream 64bit distributions - DEB packages for Ubuntu and its flavors / Debian and RPM packages for OpenSUSE / Fedora. There is no need to worry about usability in every obscure distribution.  If you want to have a multimedia linux workstation then you choose mainstream.

PS: hope the links above are not considered advertising as the mentioned apps have quite different field of use than Affinity apps

It really would be great if somebody could create a Snap for Affinity tools.

@toluschr already did some great work by documenting the manual steps (see also this post at linuxcompatible.org — for some there's this open Wine issue for people using proprietary Nvidia drivers, though). It also seems that it worked for others, too (i.e. here for @Dylan_LHDP)

Furthermore the Snap team created a template for creating Snaps for Wine applications. So with a Snap package there's no need to do any manual steps, except installing the package. Also people won't end up with various wine/winetricks/dll issues, since every Snap can bring its own encapsulated set of dependencies.
Other Windows applications like PhotoScape, foobar2000, Pixum, SQLyog, Adobe Acrobat, Command & ConquerTrack Mania Nations Forever or GOG Galaxy can already be installed with an easy command:

snap install package-page

So maybe someone wants to give it a go?

It's basically declarations within a structured YAML file. Apart from taking Sommelier as a base, it might be useful to have a look at some examples on GitHub.

Otherwise there might be someone over at the snapcraft forum who might help (there's also a request over there).

PS: another advantage of a Snap package is the possibility to give or take permissions. Don't want to give access to the whole home directory? No problem! App shouldn't have access to the internet? Remove this permission with a simple

snap disconnect $SNAP_NAME:network

(or use the Snap GUI for that). Thus having a Snap package might be especially interesting in cases where people would like to run proprietary applications that can't fully trusted (but also for other apps of course).

Edited by Alex 🚀

I decided to go for Inkscape (again) instead of Affinity Designer a few weeks ago and just made a donation to them.

My rarely use of Affinity Photo will be done by GIMP (again) in future. I made a donation for them as well.

And I'm going to use Scribus (again), if i might need some DTP again, but that happens all few years.

If Serif doesn't want to go to linux, we can support the products, that are available on linux to get better.

15 hours ago, Requester said:

I decided to go for Inkscape (again) instead of Affinity Designer a few weeks ago and just made a donation to them.

My rarely use of Affinity Photo will be done by GIMP (again) in future. I made a donation for them as well.

And I'm going to use Scribus (again), if i might need some DTP again, but that happens all few years.

If Serif doesn't want to go to linux, we can support the products, that are available on linux to get better.

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you want to work natively in Linux. Not sure why you would support Serif if you are looking to work in Linux as they do not have software that works in Linux and have said it is not on the table for the foreseeable future. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, Alex 🚀 said:

It really would be great if somebody could create a Snap for Affinity tools.

@toluschr already did some great work by documenting the manual steps (see also this post at linuxcompatible.org — for some there's this open Wine issue for people using proprietary Nvidia drivers, though). It also seems that it worked for others, too (i.e. here for @Dylan_LHDP)

Furthermore the Snap team created a template for creating Snaps for Wine applications. So with a Snap package there's no need to do any manual steps, except installing the package. Also people won't end up with various wine/winetricks/dll issues, since every Snap can bring its own encapsulated set of dependencies.
Other Windows applications like PhotoScape, foobar2000, Pixum, SQLyog, Adobe Acrobat, Command & ConquerTrack Mania Nations Forever or GOG Galaxy can already be installed with an easy command:

snap install package-page

So maybe someone wants to give it a go?

It's basically declarations within a structured YAML file. Apart from taking Sommelier as a base, it might be useful to have a look at some examples on GitHub.

Otherwise there might be someone over at the snapcraft forum who might help (there's also a request over there).

PS: another advantage of a Snap package is the possibility to give or take permissions. Don't want to give access to the whole home directory? No problem! App shouldn't have access to the internet? Remove this permission with a simple

snap disconnect $SNAP_NAME:network

(or use the Snap GUI for that). Thus having a Snap package might be especially interesting in cases where people would like to run proprietary applications that can't fully trusted (but also for other apps of course).

It's a good idea in theory but the Serif Affinity products do not appear to work at all well with Wine.

In contrast, some Windows software does work very well with Wine, so much so that the Windows-only PhotoScape photo editor is now an official Ubuntu Snap over at the snapcraft site.

Similarly, the professional grade PhotoLine image editor also works well with Wine and you're probably far more likely to get a warm welcome if you go over to their English and German forums and make a request for them to consider making an Ubuntu Snap version for Linux users.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:37 PM, justajeffy said:

Uggh.  Seriously, I'm so sick and tired of hearing the "small user base" argument.  It's so frustrating.  The small VFX company I work for has in the past 4-5 years spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on Linux software.  Almost entirely pro graphics related.  (eg Autodesk Maya, Foundry Nuke, and more...)

We may be a small user base, but we are BIG SPENDERS.

If businesses like yours and the members of the Academy Software Foundation (please see aswf[dot]io ), such as Microsoft, were to put money into supporting full time developers for Gimp then it would only be a matter of time before Gimp became professional grade software.

I understand that Krita has four paid full time developers and if Gimp had a similar number of supported developers then miracles would start to happen.

9 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

If businesses like yours and the members of the Academy Software Foundation (please see aswf[dot]io ), such as Microsoft, were to put money into supporting full time developers for Gimp then it would only be a matter of time before Gimp became professional grade software.

This is a nice ideal but that requires the GIMP team to be receptive to it and it also requires that team to be willing to take on that task of becoming a professional grade tool. Unfortunately, this has not been the case historically with this project. This is why professionals on Linux want something else to embrace Linux because there is an opportunity that is being squandered and after 20+ years, we don't expect GIMP to be the project to take advantage of this opportunity.

I now use PhotoPea since it is a webapp and it doesnt matter what OS I use which is a good option for now but I'd certainly love it for Affinity Photo to be on Linux. Snap team will even directly help them find out how to do it, or Affinity could make a Flatpak as well. WINE, Proton, etc so many methods to work on Linux if they chose to attempt it. There is a market for Linux both in the high side of the Big Spenders like VFX companies as @justajeffy mentions and on the low side where people are more likely to switch to Linux due to having that graphics software piece available to them. Linux already has good video editor options but graphics tools are limited. The Linux market is thirsty for an option and it is ripe to take advantage of but companies don't see that and sadly that is not surprising.

1 minute ago, Michael Tunnell said:

This is a nice ideal but that requires the GIMP team to be receptive to it and it also requires that team to be willing to take on that task of becoming a professional grade tool. Unfortunately, this has not been the case historically with this project. This is why professionals on Linux want something else to embrace Linux because there is an opportunity that is being squandered and after 20+ years, we don't expect GIMP to be the project to take advantage of this opportunity.

I now use PhotoPea since it is a webapp and it doesnt matter what OS I use which is a good option for now but I'd certainly love it for Affinity Photo to be on Linux. Snap team will even directly help them find out how to do it, or Affinity could make a Flatpak as well. WINE, Proton, etc so many methods to work on Linux if they chose to attempt it. There is a market for Linux both in the high side of the Big Spenders like VFX companies as @justajeffy mentions and on the low side where people are more likely to switch to Linux due to having that graphics software piece available to them. Linux already has good video editor options but graphics tools are limited. The Linux market is thirsty for an option and it is ripe to take advantage of but companies don't see that and sadly that is not surprising.

To be fair though, the current developers are doing a good job of modernising Gimp and bringing it into the 21st century and I would be willing to bet that they would jump at the chance to be paid full time to work on and improve Gimp just like the Krita developers.

13 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

I understand that Krita has four paid full time developers and if Gimp had a similar number of supported developers then miracles would start to happen.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't share your optimism about what Gimp can maybe, possibly, hopefully become if we pump more money into the project.  Let us consider for a moment that in the 24 years that Gimp has been around, they still haven't had the sense to realize that GIMP is a TERRIBLE name.  (Yeah, I know it's an acronym.. but it's still awful.)  If they can't even get around to changing that, how can I trust that they'd be able to make good decisions about how to spend any money that we would donate to their efforts?

It's good software, and develops slowly.. and that's ok.  I'd like to convince more of our artists to use it, but honestly, the stigma surrounding turns everyone off immediately.  It doesn't matter that it has improved a little since they last used it.  Gimp 3.0 needs to be excellent and should be rebranded to retire the old name and logo.  Show the community that the project has great momentum in development and has a plan to reach certain milestones by specific dates.  THEN, maybe we'll feel better about investing in it.  Blender did this, and now money is flowing into the project.  They were able to demonstrate that investment in Blender would likely to pay off.  The Gimp roadmap page has a bunch of tasks with statuses but no defined deadlines and the page hasn't even been updated since October.  There's no obvious momentum there.

Chicken and egg problem, I guess.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, justajeffy said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't share your optimism about what Gimp can maybe, possibly, hopefully become if we pump more money into the project.  Let us consider for a moment that in the 24 years that Gimp has been around, they still haven't had the sense to realize that GIMP is a TERRIBLE name.  (Yeah, I know it's an acronym.. but it's still awful.)  If they can't even get around to changing that, how can I trust that they'd be able to make good decisions about how to spend any money that we would donate to their efforts?

It's good software, and develops slowly.. and that's ok.  I'd like to convince more of our artists to use it, but honestly, the stigma surrounding turns everyone off immediately.  It doesn't matter that it has improved a little since they last used it.  Gimp 3.0 needs to be excellent and should be rebranded to retire the old name and logo.  Show the community that the project has great momentum in development and has a plan to reach certain milestones by specific dates.  THEN, maybe we'll feel better about investing in it.  Blender did this, and now money is flowing into the project.  They were able to demonstrate that investment in Blender would likely to pay off.  The Gimp roadmap page has a bunch of tasks with statuses but no defined deadlines and the page hasn't even been updated since October.  There's no obvious momentum there.

Chicken and egg problem, I guess.

I would say Affinity picked a horrible name for Publisher as well as Microsoft Publisher is widely hated by those in the print industry. Not saying GIMP is a great name by any means but I think at the end of the day if the software works well and gets the job done who really cares what it is called?

4 minutes ago, wonderings said:

who really cares what it is called?

Professional VFX artists, apparently.

At this point, if Affinity were willing to consider a proper Linux port, we would be more likely to put money towards Affinity Photo than Gimp.  To us, that would seem like a sound investment and more likely to result in software that our artists would be actually willing to use.   If the Gimp project could demonstrate that there's significant momentum behind a sensible plan to meet specific milestones that benefit companies like ours, then maybe that would be food for thought.   Unfortunately, that is not the case at the moment.

23 minutes ago, wonderings said:

I would say Affinity picked a horrible name for Publisher as well as Microsoft Publisher is widely hated by those in the print industry. Not saying GIMP is a great name by any means but I think at the end of the day if the software works well and gets the job done who really cares what it is called?

This is a very old problem. The name has been an issue since the beginning in the 1990s. Both products using the same term is not a big deal, that's pretty insignificant. GIMP is a awful name because it's an insult to disabled people. (that's not even mentioning the Pulp Fiction reference, which they actually did on purpose 🤦‍♂️)

The name is very problematic because many educational institutions refuse to teach a class on it due to this. This also applies to many corporations who don't want to promote it due to it being completely inappropriate. It creates a massive unnecessary problem just for the the sake of being "edgy".

It means GNU Image Manipulation Program . . . it's sad that a project making an Application, or any type of Software couldn't come up with a synonym for Program. I mean seriously, GIMS is better anyway because it could have been pronounced as gems. It was a dumb decision to do it in the first place and it is a dumb decision to keep it.

----

with that said, it's not even about the name that why most professionals don't use it. It's because it has had over 25 years of development yet is still somehow doesnt have non-destructive editing on pretty much any of it.

----

Affinity could instantly become dominant in Linux if they put the effort in and in doing so they would also provide more reason for people to switch to Linux becoming a selling point for Linux making it so that people who promote Linux will also promote Affinity for free.

24 minutes ago, justajeffy said:

Professional VFX artists, apparently.

At this point, if Affinity were willing to consider a proper Linux port, we would be more likely to put money towards Affinity Photo than Gimp.  To us, that would seem like a sound investment and more likely to result in software that our artists would be actually willing to use.   If the Gimp project could demonstrate that there's significant momentum behind a sensible plan to meet specific milestones that benefit companies like ours, then maybe that would be food for thought.   Unfortunately, that is not the case at the moment.

When you say "more likely to put money towards" do you mean buy or donate? To Gimp you'd be donating, please tell me you wouldn't "donate"  to Affinity Photo.

Just now, Bog said:

When you say "more likely to put money towards" do you mean buy or donate? To Gimp you'd be donating, please tell me you wouldn't "donate"  to Affinity Photo.

Unfortunately you can not explicitely donate for GIMP, it's donate button goes to the GNOME Foundation. So the money might have been put more in to GNOME / GTK than GIMP ... and may explain, why GIMP is not pushed that much. But I did a donation anyway a few days ago.

3 minutes ago, Bog said:

We have no interesting in making a "donation" to either of them.  We would happily "invest" in a project that would benefit us.  I can't justify giving money away to Gimp developers in hopes that maybe one day it'll pay off.  They've given no reason to believe that would be true.  I would, however, happily join a crowdfund to port Affinity Photo to Linux.  Particularly if expectations are defined up-front and there is at least some accountability for meeting those expectations.

You've already made it very clear how you feel about crowdfunding and so I will not engage in that discussion with you anymore.  No point arguing about it.  Lets just say that we disagree and leave it at that.

12 minutes ago, justajeffy said:

You've already made it very clear how you feel about crowdfunding and so I will not engage in that discussion with you anymore.  No point arguing about it.  Lets just say that we disagree and leave it at that.

Ok fair enough on that point of contention, yes I have.  (Your crowdfunding is actually a "donation" but yea yea we've already done that argument, ok fine.)

About giving money to gimp developers hoping it'll pay off- this might be a useful FYI (forgive me if you already know) a lot of OSS projects, especially the big ones like GIMP, have "bounties", whereby (well you can guess), you can request a feature/alteration and provide a reward for it being implemented.  I realize that's for smallish stuff, but nonetheless it talks to the issue at hand so it might be useful if you didn't already know.  

19 minutes ago, Bog said:

About giving money to gimp developers hoping it'll pay off- this might be a useful FYI (forgive me if you already know) a lot of OSS projects, especially the big ones like GIMP, have "bounties", whereby (well you can guess), you can request a feature/alteration and provide a reward for it being implemented.

GIMP does not accept bounties and most Open Source projects do not accept bounties. Sure some do but most of them dont because they dont want to have obligation to implement something in order to receive the funding.

Gimp is evolving way more than it seems, like Inskcape, I have used it professionally at companies for many years, and it is very capable: It was when it was (both) quite less evolved than now. The code is old, and this has stopped faster growth for a long time. Adding a CMYK mode (savagely discarded by most graphic apps in Linux for decades) has only been made possible thanks to the GEGL library, which is allowing many more great stuff. I expected to not see ANY step towards a CMYK mode until 5 or 10 years more, or any at all, while it's being worked out now, this year. Weird as they have other features of very advanced nature. You have tho always been able to proof preview and export a CMYK file (like happens with Clip Studio, Paint Shop Pro, etc). 

I've read too many times how they badly needed the funds to get more permanent, full year people working on the project. How they were crippled only with 2 or 3! . So, the stubborn aspect of them is long gone, almost as much as with Blender. Blender devs were very closed at some point ( I have direct data) but are now (since years) the extreme opposite (and very recent changes in how they plan to work from now are going even more in that direction, totally in sync with the users community, bigger in that than any company I've seen for a while, in closed commercial and open source companies/groups/individuals).  So, Gimp's issue, at least from outside but actually being really interested in them improving, caring for it, so, digging a bit more, do seem to be related to an old code base, and LACK OF FUNDS !!. But I really see a ton of passion and love for the project in them, really. And they have a strong community of loyal like heck and VERY advanced users.  

No... I hate (more than ever before) to disagree, but the problem is bigger. Linux is a force of nature in terms of number and percentage of programmers. And I would say, in skills and capability... You see tons of network, system, coding, cloud, etc, related apps of many sorts, tons of libraries related to these fields, too. Tons of new distros, new desktops, you name it.  During certain years, I had more linux friends in my personal life than people using other OSes (as used to hang out with an always growing and changing linux dev group, to have dinner, go to places and stuff. None of them were interested in graphics at all, let alone making graphic apps. And  ended knowing people from everywhere). I've spoken to one of the main Krita founders about the whole issue... had some great coffees, and really, they made some super clever moves to get the funding (one of the strongest, getting the app in the Microsoft store, which is ironic to say the least). So, it has been needed to get people not only great in programming, but also in business and organization, not so common combination. It's gotta be these rare unicorns, as mostly, these people are quite alone (in money and help) in the entire community, as , again, no strong interest among devs (neither companies) there for graphic design and etc (opposite than in Mac world, or Windows). Blender, like Krita, is another "rara avis", but the story of Blender is super peculiar... A NeoGeo internal (commercial) app that Ton and the company ended up pulling out to the public as a commercial app, and way back in 1998 (the tool existed in some form already in 1995). It got a HUGE, huge push from the community of users, to make it fully open source, each one putting money. But the owner of the app was willing for it! There was no need to put pressure on him or the company to do that. He actually wanted it. Am fine with that approach. For a lot of years, Blender was quite like Gimp, so not really comparable, even by far, with Max, Maya, XSI or LW. Still IMO is quite behind, but right now is super usable for any mid range studio, local TV and every freaking freelance om earth (I know by experience) with some patience. Every story that you see of a graphic app in Linux is.. . long in time, and very painful. And it has been so for lack of interest by the dev community. Compare it instead to Firefox, Libre Office, Apache, LAMP stuff, many programming related libraries (that are chosen by commercial Windows based dev companies, over Windows libraries or solutions... I've seen that from inside), the actual gazillion of distros (while it was WAY more important to build first a solid collection of pro-usable software (for graphics), IMO) etc. I think there's a ton of other entities and individuals to blame or to expect to "fill the gap" first, before we can start looking at commercial closed code companies like this one... But hey, to each his/her own.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

17 minutes ago, Michael Tunnell said:

GIMP does not accept bounties and most Open Source projects do not accept bounties. Sure some do but most of them dont because they dont want to have obligation to implement something in order to receive the funding.

Thank you. Yea I don't understand their logic, I think it's stupid. 

I first heard about bounties from Linux Mint (which I don't recommend), but I don't follow others closely enough.
Anyway thanks, good to sadly know.

11 minutes ago, Bog said:

Thank you. Yea I don't understand their logic, I think it's stupid. 

I first heard about bounties from Linux Mint (which I don't recommend), but I don't follow others closely enough.

I think it makes sense to accept them and also to not accept them. I mean what professional wants the client to decide how much something costs? The bounty system puts the power in the person offering the bounty and I've seen people want stuff that would take weeks and only offer $20 USD. That's not worth even having the conversation yet the developer becomes the bad guy for not considering it. There are many issues with software bounties.

side note: Linux Mint doesnt accept bounties last I checked either. Maybe you are thinking about elementary OS, I am fairly certain that they do accept them.

It seems to me that you can donate other ways (to Gimp) . https://www.gimp.org/donating/

Yep, it's to the coder for GEGL (by Patreon) , but that indirectly means the CMYK mode, which is SO crucial for so many workflows. Besides,  NON DESTRUCTIVE editing capabilities (lack which many have mentioned as a disadvantage too important in Gimp) and many other matters. GEGL is a revolution for Gimp.

And the other guy as supposedly would help in animation features (yep, not really helpful for a DTP workflow).

But more importantly...

1 hour ago, Requester said:

Unfortunately you can not explicitely donate for GIMP, it's donate button goes to the GNOME Foundation. So the money might have been put more in to GNOME / GTK than GIMP ... and may explain, why GIMP is not pushed that much. But I did a donation anyway a few days ago.

I was a bit shocked to hear that, as I know by other sources how much in need of help they are... And also, I never donated to them (my bad), I've only donated to Blender and mostly, Wings 3D (open source, too). I'm not selfish, I just prefer putting that money in helping (and I do) directly people I know, with more dire needs. Thing is, it does seem that the Gnome "middle man" thing is only a matter of legal/taxes stuff, but the donation does go to the GIMP project. You probably could get in direct talk (email or whatever) with the group to get more detail about this point. If I were them, I'd explain it kindly to every potential donor! I mean, if we read it carefully :

(emphasis, bold: mine)

Donate to The Project
Donating money to the GIMP project is easy! The GNOME Foundation has graciously agreed to act as fiscal agents for us. Contributions to the GIMP project can be made by donating to the GNOME Foundation and specifying the GIMP project as the recipient. The GNOME Foundation is a tax-exempt, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible in the USA.

If it is about the doubt of the money reaching the intended destiny... well... is like donating to any other cause, isn't it ? I've donated to Oxfan Intermon, Red Cross,  Doctors without borders, Unicef... You will be always with that doubt... A leap of faith is needed. Otherwise, just keeping your money and buy a software and an OS (ie, Mac OS if not liking Windows telemetry and all that) that let you focus in creating art rather than in the lack of needed software... I myself have full trust in the existing native Linux applications. I feel they will get there, at least for full time freelancers and middle size studios.

Edited by SrPx
TYPOS.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2 minutes ago, My1 said:

Wtf? How that? I am classified as disabled and have no idea how gimp could be bad. 

That's great you haven't had people say it to you, but that doesn't change how often it happens to others. It has been an insult to people with disabilities for decades. It is also used as a term to casually refer to something being limited on purpose such as "they made a new laptop but gimped the processor so why even buy it". I actually heard a YouTuber yesterday say that about a new Intel laptop with 4 core CPU.

There are instances where when someone is hurt they say that they "have a gimp leg". Many many variations. I am glad you hadn't had it said to you as an insult but it is very very common depending on your location and also depending on the level of physical issue. I have a friend born with muscular dystrophy and he said when he goes out in public (prior to covid) that he would hear it about once a week.