You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't know what you want to achieve exactly!
The "Overlay Erase Brush" is used to undo previous overlay adjustments. If you only want to highlight the people in the foreground, you can do so with the "Add Brush Overlay" in the Overlays Panel. Afterwards you can, if desired, undo certain parts of the adjustments with the "Overlay Erase Brush".

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Before saying that there are issues with the brushes and it creates a mess.... learn how to use the tools the way they are intented to, read the help file and look at the tutorials. 

The Overaly Erase Brush is intended to remove some parts of the overlay that you create with the Overlay Brush, that's it. If you are trying to increase the "luminosity" of only the people on the picture, go in "Overlay" tab and use the Overlay Brush to brush over the people. Using "Edge aware" will help. Then you go back to the "Basic" tab and increase Exposure or Highlights as you want. It will be applied only on the "overlay" area. Then you can use the "Overlay Erase Brush" to remove some of the adjustments you just made.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I am somewhat baffled by the comments. The overlay erase brush tool was being used to remove parts of the overlay I had been using on the figures. The spotty effect was the result. If this is done in the established version of AP it works perfectly. As an advanced user I am perfectly aware of how to use tools and what to expect from them and an appearance of raindrops from the overlay erase brush is not expected. Alain P your comment is arrogant. Think before you write.

It is also necessary to clarify my comment about other brush problems. This referred to posts by other people in this forum and not to my own observations.

This post was not submitted as a complaint. It was to show an event.

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
correction & amplification

Well, it seems I was wrong on one thing. The same result occurs with the overlay brush tool in the established version when used on a brush overlay. I attach another screenshot. In this the extent of a brush overlay is clear by the bright patch surrounding the figures. The brush overlay was used to delimit the figures to emphasise colour and increase exposure, which is obvious. So is the raindrop effect of the delete brush. I have selected the position of the screenshot to centre this so that it can't be missed. This only happens deleting a brush overlay, not with the gradient overlay tools. With gradient overlays the erase is smooth.

Perhaps there is someone who might be technically savvy enough to know why this occurs? The brush appears to be painting rather than erasing.

Clipboard01.jpg

On 16.12.2017 at 3:24 PM, HVDB Fotografie said:

@ms.fuentecilla I think that this is due to the hardness of brush . Could you try it at 50% (or more) hardness ?

I think it's not related to the hardness of the brush,
but with the chosen size of the brush
greater than 200 pix is normal
small than 200 pix, first raindrop effect
small than 100 pix, raindrop effect clearly visible
small than 50 pix, big raindrop effect.
I can reproduce it here,
I hope it will be fixed soon.

Best Regards
Gnobelix

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

to illustrate for the above problem, a video

2017-12-16_18-34-19.mp4

I think, Pictures say more than a thousand words.

THE REASON

This is due to historic use of the erase brush in other files as a normal erase brush being carried over into new files using 'overlay erase brush'. There is no way, when using the overlay brush tool, of accessing a brush dialogue, so this cannot be changed without closing a file. It took me some time to get to this. The overlay brush tool really should have an independent existence. These are RAW files; I don't use JPEG. Hope this is helpful MEB!

Michael

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
clarity & further clarity

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, is the mentioned above problem is not yet fixed in the new beta (1.6.3.99) :(

I hope it will be done soon.

• 3 years later...

Yes, ms.fuentecilla has it right. 

Affinity Photo RAW develop overlay erase brush adjustment:

6/26/21, AP version 1.9.2.1035, still has this same behavior,

you cannot change the the brush characteristics while in the develop module

if you're getting the raindrop effect shown by ms.fuentecilla, you have to

1. exit develop module
  2. open an afphoto file in the photo persona
  3. click on the REGULAR paint brush, not the erase brush - alter the brush features in the menus at the top of AP, most importantly the "more, Spacing"  details:
  4. click more, click General brush setting, turn the spacing down to lower number (from 46% in the first image, to 6% or so, to make the brush really smooth.
  5. then you can exit the photo persona, go back and open a RAW file in the develop module, and the erase brush will have the features you chose for your paintbrush previously.

A bit strange that the erase brush does NOT retain the settings for the ERASE brush from photo persona, but it retains the features of the PAINTBRUSH that were set in the photo persona.

-- Just thought I'd put my notes here in case someone else stumbles across this problem - it was puzzling to me until I saw ms.fuentecilla's solution.  Thanks to her and Duckduckgo search engine 😁

46.JPG

6.JPG

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.