Affinity products for Linux

On 10/2/2017 at 6:21 AM, Guest said:

Can I ask why? You won't make version for Linux even despite the fact that linux popularity is higher than mac now?

It’s usually a matter of maintaining profitability with Linux’s open source nature from what I understand

Hardware:
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor                 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB
Graphics: Nvidea 1660 8GB

Art examples: 

http://MadMaker.redbubble.com

Not sure if anyone at Serif will see this, but just to be clear at least for the people here right now: I downloaded Affinity Photo this week because of this thread and the promise of Linux support. I will be making the next event flier for one of the art collectives that I work for as a test.

If I can get it to work on Linux, I will buy a license.

If I can get it to work on Linux easily or there is a possibility of native support, I'll convert my entire consulting business and all of our artists to it immediately.

If there is native Linux support, I will tag it in every bit of media we post and I will include it in all of the presentations that I give here in Tokyo. (I do this with Houdini already)

None of us want another cheaper Photoshop alternative that runs on Windows. We want to be free. You're all so close to helping us get there.

Plus, hardly any of our digital artwork or experimental installations run on Windows, anyway. For artists creating at the edge of the tech that's currently available, there's a lot of code and customization and Windows just isn't an option. Mac technically could be, but what client would pay for the added expense of filling a room with that hardware? Even if the project has the extra budget, there's just no way they'd be so wasteful with it.

The future of artwork isn't happening on Mac or Windows. And as a company making tools for artists and shipping on these platforms, I think that Serif should be at least a bit worried about this. Whatever these concerns are about the Linux ecosystem or profitability there, I'd say they are outdated at best.

Anyway, no need to get distracted with any more of that. We can get back to technical details. = )

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, ipso said:

and the promise of Linux support

...only in that we promise not to make a Linux specific version.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

^ Now that should be absolutely crystal clear for everyone to understand that we are not going to get a Linux version so there is no point anyone again asking for it to happen.

That said, Serif Europe staff, in particular Mark Ingram, have been very helpful with their comments and constructive suggestions in trying to get Affinity Photo to work under Wine and thank you very much for that for it is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Oh wow... not touching that. There's clearly some dark history here or on the forums that I don't know about. Past discussions must have really been not good.

Apologies for the enthusiasm and for getting involved. I thought we were here to celebrate and show support, but this thread must be long for other reasons. No more posts from me.

Thanks a bunch to 1stn00b and whoever else lead to this ending up on the Wines page with something functional. Thanks to anyone not here who helped from the Serif side. I'll be eagerly awaiting what the Wines contributors can do from the sidelines and looking forward to more updates there.

Edited by ipso

22 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Well i would pay again for a native version - off course if it's available as a Flatpak package so it includes every dependency - practically eliminating the usual problems u get when not everybody is running same distro or have same libraries - and it also simplify their development and bug fixing 😆

The first thing I must do is thank you very much for all the work, effort and feedback that you have put in to make Affinity Photo work on Linux via Wine, etc.

I very much like your suggestion that the Affinity products could be bundled up with all the specific Wine fine-tuned elements in one of the container formats when all the bugs are sorted out. There is already a precedent for this.The free Windows-only photo editor Photoscape 3.7 software is bundled with Wine as a Snap. It works so well that you cannot tell that this is not native Linux software.

I would like to see the same thing happen with the three Affinity software products starting with the 30 day trial version of Affinity Photo. However, it ought to be pointed out that this might require the permission of, or at least tolerance of the situation by, Serif Europe. The trial version of commercial VueScan scanner software is currently available as a Flatpak so again there is a successful precedent there and no doubt Vuescan gets additional sales that way so it's a win-win situation for everyone.

I would welcome the comments from Serif Europe staff about the issues raised in the paragraph directly above.

3 hours ago, ipso said:

Oh wow... not touching that. There's clearly some dark history here or on the forums that I don't know about. Past discussions must have really been not good.

There were some incidents. Feelings were hurt. People cried. It was terrible.

Though on a high note, a new Gnome extension came out that rounds window corners, so Photo now looks more like a native app. Though it still crashes all the time, and the canvas still flickers a bunch, so it's most one giant tease at the moment. But still...

Rounded window corners! :D

APhotoLinux.thumb.jpg.deea9bcf5357387d3bd64d99a883b666.jpg

On 8/1/2022 at 6:19 PM, Mark Ingram said:

RE: canvas flickering. We use Direct3D11 for rendering the document to the screen, and Direct2D for rendering the tool. 

Thanks for this tip - equivalent on bottles is VKD3D and DXVK - for now app in bottles work with switch --no-hw-ui 
If Direct3D11 is for rendering document so on bottles (wine) is time to search which patch for VKD3D and or DXVK is use to run app without switch --no-hw-ui.
On winehq and proton site there is many solved issue with flickering on D3D (VKD3D) after apply certain patch.

Bottles recently shared this, don't you think it is a beginning ? not the one expected but a just beginning

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 3020M 
Intel Core i5-4590T @2.00GHz with 12GiB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD 4500 Series
Windows 11 Pro N x64 21H2 + LibreOffice 7.3.5

My well suited Set of Apps [Production only]
* Affinity Suite [Designer + Photo + Publisher]
* Camtasia 2022 + CorelDraw Technical Suite 2022 + Blender 3.4.0 Alpha

• Moderators
4 hours ago, chiddekel said:

Thanks for this tip - equivalent on bottles is VKD3D and DXVK - for now app in bottles work with switch --no-hw-ui 
If Direct3D11 is for rendering document so on bottles (wine) is time to search which patch for VKD3D and or DXVK is use to run app without switch --no-hw-ui.
On winehq and proton site there is many solved issue with flickering on D3D (VKD3D) after apply certain patch.

The WPF UI is rendered (by default) in Direct3D9. The --no-hw-ui flag disables WPF's hardware rendering and switches it into software mode. The document view is always drawn with Direct3D11 and Direct2D.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

The document view is always drawn with Direct3D11 and Direct2D.

If I had to take an uneducated stab at a guess, I'd say poor Direct2D implementation in WINE is the major culprit behind the flickering canvas. As far as I know, Direct2D doesn't see much use in games, being used primarily in desktop applications, which means that it's most likely to be ignored by the WINE devs.

You've got it upside down :>

Wine is for applications DXVK,VK3D, Proton are extending it for games and have more developing power since are backed by Valve and now with Steam Deck they will get even more love :>

But don't worry we already have the programs fully running so we just have to wait for the missing pieces to be added :>

3 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Wine is for applications DXVK,VK3D, Proton are extending it for games and have more developing power since are backed by Valve and now with Steam Deck they will get even more love 😆

That's how it started out way back in the day, but now it's primarily about playing World of Warcraft on Linux. The proof's kind of in the pudding here, in that most games run nigh natively through WINE or Proton (which is basically WINE with Valve money behind it) these days, but running a desktop app is still a turkey shoot.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 1stn00b said:

the only one to blame for no Linux support is actually Serif not others

Technically you could say "the one to blame for no Linux support is actually the lack of Linux desktop users, which would make the product commercially unviable"

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Windows: 75%

macOS: 15%

Linux: 2.75%

47 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Technically you could say "the one to blame for no Linux support is actually the lack of Linux desktop users, which would make the product commercially unviable"

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Windows: 75%

macOS: 15%

Linux: 2.75%

Cool! So with that reasoning in mind: 

Windows leading the way by far with 75%... Could we get the Designer and Photo Tablet version apps (now available on iOS only) ported to Windows so we can use it on pen tablets? That would be very nice! 😀

17 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Cool! So with that reasoning in mind: 

Windows leading the way by far with 75%... Could we get the Designer and Photo Tablet version apps (now available on iOS only) ported to Windows so we can use it on pen tablets? That would be very nice! 😀

These stats are for desktops, not tablets! (For tablets Windows has a much lower market share than iOS.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher : Affinity Photo : Affinity Designer (latest release versions) | Affinity Photo for iPad