You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

newbie needs help turning photo into line art

I just bought affinity last night ...

I am guessing you did not buy the company (just kidding!) but one or both of the apps sold under the Affinity brand name. What did you buy?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

C, Thanks for the welcome, I will see the tutorial.  jf

Fix,  Not sure what the difference is, but I need to be able to adjust the size parametrically without losing quality...

R C-R Ha! thanks for catching the written faux pas! I bought the rights to use a copy of affinity photo...

I am trying to make part of a line art logo from a portrait photograph. An example of a logo similar to what I am going for is Burt's Bees: https://www.burtsbees.com/product/res-q-ointment/77599-00.html#start=1

Sounds like vector trace is what you need. You must either trace the image by hand or use some tool to make automatic trace (this may not give exact enough results and you need to hand correct anyway).

Line art is two colour (black and white generally) image, still pixels which may show if enlarged a lot.

Yes, a tracing app is what you would want. AD doesn't have one of those at this point. There are several PD or very inexpensive apps just for that kind of work.

I've done a lot of such work over the years, and will say that something as complex as the Burt's logo will take a ton of work even w. a good trace. Typically, it takes me several attempts w. the tracer to get close to accurate lines. Still, there may then be many hundreds of nodes to tweak or delete.

On one file I working on right now, I'm just manually drawing in new lines, because the base image was just too blurry to get any good results in places.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks Fixx. Any recommendations for apps?

Gdenby, Thanks, do you have any recommendations for app options?  Here is another example of something I am trying to create:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/Newman%27s_Own_logo.jpg/220px-Newman%27s_Own_logo.jpg 

This started as a photo

I have actually done it before, but I can't remember which app I used... perhaps Illustrator or Premiere Pro, just don't remember. Thanks

Here is another example of something I am trying to create:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/Newman%27s_Own_logo.jpg/220px-Newman%27s_Own_logo.jpg 

This started as a photo

The forum doesn't seem to like the apostrophes in that URL. To view the image, try the following:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6b/Newman's_Own_logo.jpg/220px-Newman's_Own_logo.jpg

If you're starting with a photo, you should be able to achieve a result like that with a simple 'Posterize' adjustment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Fixx. Any recommendations for apps?

Gdenby, Thanks, do you have any recommendations for app options?  Here is another example of something I am trying to create:

This started as a photo

I have actually done it before, but I can't remember which app I used... perhaps Illustrator or Premiere Pro, just don't remember. Thanks

AP will do edge detection, but it does not create a vector.

There are quite a few implementations of a PD software call potrace. I'm on a Mac, and currently use an app called Image Vectorizer which is a graphic front end which uses potrace, AFAIK. Cost $5. Quick, with quite a few parameter modifiers for both the bitmap and the vector out put. Inkscape also uses potrace as the bas for its tracing routines. It has to run under X-11 emulation on the Mac, which makes using it slower. It will do multiple grey level outlines at once. My experience over the past few months is that the program hung when I tred to do a trace. Pob'ly user error that I haven't cleared up yet.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yes for vectorization (tracing a bitmap/raster file into a vector file) there are also some opensource programs available (like potrace and autotrace etc.), even those are usually commandline programs there are also some GUI frontend apps available for those (though some of these GUI frontends are older apps most still do work). - Beside that there are also some free to use online vectorization services available, which partly use the above mentioned programs as services.

Here is an example of how a JPG image will look during a simple tracing pass through into SVG vectors ...

• post-49706-0-85511400-1488830648_thumb.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

v_kyr: Thanks. I will check out pot race and autotrace. Your example is exactly what I am trying to do. What did you use for the example?

I used here this time a custom potrace library on Windows, since I'm actually doing some programming with that under Win. So the base of that shown above are also those potrace tracing algorithms used here too.

But there are also some ready to use tools for that on the Mac side, if you use OSX you can for example download a binary version of the potrace cmdline tool and then also a binary version of the DragPotrace GUI tool, which is a frontend (it's also localized in English) for the potrace cmdline tool. All you have to do then is, to just place the potrace OSX cmdline binary into the DragPotrace folder and then use the DragPotrace GUI frontend!

You can also take a look into this thread here, there we already discussed about some tracing apps etc. and also named and showed some of these!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Might this help?

It might if we could see it! You may be able to see it in Safari, but if (like me) you're on Windows you probably aren't using Safari and you just see a big, blank space. However, quoting your post has allowed me to see the URL:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Can't see it here either, using Safari on a Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7