You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

silly little bug

Beta 1.5.1.46

Open any file, First time you right-click on layer in Layer Tab the context menu pops up top left of screen (single screen laptop) second and further click menu appears correctly above selected layer.

Simple workaround is to obviously right-click twice the first time, but it's low hanging fruit  :)

regards

I'm not seeing that here in either customer beta build 1.5.1.46 or release build 1.5.0.45.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Aammppaa Yes that's exactly it thanks for the graphic. I'm also getting it with the release version (1.5.0.45)

This is most likely machine specific/config then as others aren't getting it.

Interestingly though our machine specs are almost polar opposites!

I'm on a really crappy Lenovo AMD chip using on chip graphics and windows 10 x64 4GB ram  and a HD that's wound up by an elastic band  :D

What screen resolution are you using? I'm 1366x768 (Recommended)

Regards

Ah so it is, but that is exactly what I'm getting in AP both beta and release.

I would imagine that AP/AD would use a common library for popping menus in the correct location? if so then Aammppaa's graphic would still be relevant.

Either way this is definitely something I'm experiencing in AP although it does look like a client environment issue.

Regards

I get the same bug in AP too (just happened to have AD open when I replied to the thread).

AP and AD share their backend code and the UI code is OS specific (this seems to be a Windows bug).

@harrym 1280 x 1080 [x 2 screens]

Bug occurs on both monitors, though the popup always appears top left of the primary monitor.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

For what it's worth, I've managed to reproduce this in AD 1.5.1.43 but I'm still not seeing it in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I've been trying for a while to reproduce this but I'm not having much luck.

I've set custom resolutions using the Nvidia control panel to match Aammppaa's setup and also tried the usual laptop resolutions. I've tried on both release versions of Affinity and the beta's too. I haven't had any luck on the laptops we have either  :angry:

The gif from Aammppaa may help us but ideally I'd like to be able to give development a guaranteed recipe to reproduce this. 

@Chris B - This happens for me every time.

Anything further I can do to help?

Video rather than GIF?

Some sort of debug info?

Driver version numbers?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@ChrisB

Thanks Chris, as per Aammppa if I can help with any other info please ask.

I'd understand that this isn't the most important item on your to do's though.

Don't know if you've considered this but I've worked with other software devs that developed a separate diagnostics app which effectively generated debug info by hooking into the users client installation, allowing the client to reproduce the issue. Of course client would need to understand and accept what the app could be potentially recording.

Regards

• Staff

@Aammppaa & harrym, driver info might be useful. Are you using a graphics tablet or do you have one plugged in? Do you know what your menu alignment is set to in Windows?

I might just send the gif to development to see if they have any ideas what might trigger this.

nvidia driver: 376.09

I do have Huion 1060 tablet, which is plugged in, but not in use when the bug occurs.

Even if I unplug the tablet, quit the driver helper app, then quit and relaunched AD, the bug still occurs.

By menu alignment I assume you mean Handedness, in Tablet PC settings?

I have tried both Right and Left handedness, and the bug still occurs.

The exact position in which the context menu opens on the first right click does vary slightly depending on the Handedness setting...

Left: opens roughly 40 pixels out from the top left corner.

Right: opens in the top left corner with no offset.

OK... AD has just magically fixed itself - hear is what (I think) happened.

• Was playing around and happened to right click the layer with the AD window NOT maximized.
    The context menu opened correctly.
    This is the first time I've done this, as I always run AD maximized.
  • Maximized the window and repeated the steps to recreate the bug...
    context menu now opens in the right place every time!

But tried the same process in the Beta version... and still getting the bug!

Argh - confused!?!

• Staff

Thanks Aammppaa, I've had my Wacom plugged in while trying this but I wondered if you may have been using a pen when calling the menu. 

Yes, I did mean the hardness - thanks for checking. I've just updated my drivers to a few above yours and I still can't reproduce it. I'll pass this over to dev now to see if they have an idea. Thanks for all your efforts. 

No tablet, using laptops trackpad

AMD Radeon HD 8210 15.200.1065.0 (latest ver)

No matter what size the AP window is the first right-click always displays the menu about 100 pixels from left and 100 pixels from top (AP ruler as a guide)

Opened 0.45, couldn't get Aammppaa's trick with the window size to work either.

On the off chance I also tried changing the location of taskbar and the auto hide option. Neither of those changed anything.

AP Beta .47, I get exactly the same result, first right click on layer icon in the right panel, and the new context menu pops up in the top left of the application. The second click makes the menu appear correctly.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

From my experience as wpf developer I would say that the following aspects must be considered:

1) This may be a focus/selection problem. Maybe one of you first left clicks to select a layer and then right clicks to open the context menu, where the other right clicks directly. 

2) There are often problems/bugs to calculate popup possitions, if multiple monitors are used. Note: there may be a difference whether the monitors are configured 1-2 or 2-1 

3) Often popup positions are miss calculated if the DPI settings are set to 125% or 150%.

From my experience as wpf developer I would say that the following aspects must be considered:

1) This may be a focus/selection problem. Maybe one of you first left clicks to select a layer and then right clicks to open the context menu, where the other right clicks directly. 

2) There are often problems/bugs to calculate popup possitions, if multiple monitors are used. Note: there may be a difference whether the monitors are configured 1-2 or 2-1 

3) Often popup positions are miss calculated if the DPI settings are set to 125% or 150%.

Hi Asser82,

1) tried both ways, same result

2) laptop, only one monitor

3) not sure what you mean by DPI. If you mean custom scaling of the desktop, it's set to default 100%

Thanks for suggestions though. TBH I'm pretty sure the AP devs have bigger fish to fry than this issue. Maybe it should be considered a feature that only special people get to see. .

Hi Asser82,

1) tried both ways, same result

2) laptop, only one monitor

3) not sure what you mean by DPI. If you mean custom scaling of the desktop, it's set to default 100%

Thanks for suggestions though. TBH I'm pretty sure the AP devs have bigger fish to fry than this issue. Maybe it should be considered a feature that only special people get to see. .

OK, then it is maybe an old bug, where popups are placed in top left corner in a non reproduce able way, if the window is maximized when the popup is opened. You could check what happens if the window is unmaximized before you open the context menu. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.