You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Publiser document to .afpub

It would be nice if the Export function were to allow for exporting .afpub documents, so you can create a new document from specific pages within a file. I don't want to use the save as function, because it is easy to accidentally delete pages from the wrong file.

2 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

It would be nice if the Export function were to allow for exporting .afpub documents, so you can create a new document from specific pages within a file.

The Export function is specifically for creating files in non-native formats. I can foresee export to *.af* causing nothing but confusion.

4 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

I don't want to use the save as function, because it is easy to accidentally delete pages from the wrong file.

Isn’t it just as easy to go back to the master copy, delete the correct pages, and ‘Save As…’ again? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

The Export function is specifically for creating files in non-native formats. I can foresee export to *.af* causing nothing but confusion.

Isn’t it just as easy to go back to the master copy, delete the correct pages, and ‘Save As…’ again? :/

So long as I am experiencing crashes when deleting pages, no. I have filed bug reports for the crashes, they are logged. But, with save as it is really easy to confuse files, to forget to save the old version and delete from the newly saved-as version.

You can place af~files  and use the embed function to add all the pages to your new file>double click to open it in a new tab and delete the unwanted pages.
You can also save as af~file and use the add pages from file(publisher only) to choose which pages need to be added to your new file.
You can also export as aftemplate which is essentially an af~file and you can create a new file based upon this template.
You can also rename the aftemplate to af~ (at least in explorer on windows) and it will open as a regular file.
Just some options to explore.

1 hour ago, Viktor CR said:

a "Save a Copy" would be nice, indeed.
If I want that now, I need to then close the file "saved as", look up the file I was just working on, again, and re-open it.
What a hassle.

Something I found useful in Adobe apps was the Duplicate file option. Duplicating a file presents a dialog with the original file name appended with “copy” — so there’s no chance of accidentally overwriting the original — and the option to change the file name. Duplicating a file keeps the original open and the duplicate can be saved or experimented with and closed without saving.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

3 hours ago, Brian_J said:

Something I found useful in Adobe apps was the Duplicate file option. Duplicating a file presents a dialog with the original file name appended with “copy” — so there’s no chance of accidentally overwriting the original — and the option to change the file name. Duplicating a file keeps the original open and the duplicate can be saved or experimented with and closed without saving.

But say you want page 100-106 from a document, the section stats at page 80 and all of the text frames are linked. Then getting page 100-106 as is, without changing their appearance is tricky due to text flow.

3 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

But say you want page 100-106 from a document, the section stats at page 80 and all of the text frames are linked. Then getting page 100-106 as is, without changing their appearance is tricky due to text flow.

Perhaps try Document > Add Pages from File?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1