You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer states added to Designer and Publisher plus changes to functionality

14 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I have to say I didn't read back through the more recent posts in this particular thread, I just happened to come across this issue today and added it to the feature thread, so apologies for missing your earlier post relating to the same issue...

Ah, sorry, my words were not well thought out enough. It was nothing more than that I want to shed light on something I experience as a limitation of the functionality, where I strongly believe that recursion after the first match on a node should be enabled/disabled. I thought you were also affected, as I quickly watched the video. It's not related to redraw at all - just the value of show hide. It also causes wild performance issues when thousands of elements in the content tree are changed. And for no reason at all.

Well, okay, I only started using  symbols for heavy duty work within the last year or so. So it is an old issue.  😞 It's an annoying functionality to have such significant redraw issues, it has annoyed me greatly when it happened, but my brain and hand learnt to zoom in and out a bit with the scroll wheel, artifacts gone, and then there were other problems at the front of the queue anyway.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

6 minutes ago, Hangman said:

For you does that 'fix' the screen redraw issue completely... For me it doesn't, hence the question but either way, something that needs to be looked at ideally... :)

Eventually it does. 

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

22 minutes ago, Hangman said:

For you does that 'fix' the screen redraw issue completely... For me it doesn't, hence the question but either way, something that needs to be looked at ideally... :)

Sometimes it requires some extensive panning

14 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

Eventually it does

14 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Sometimes it requires some extensive panning

Okay, thanks both, I will test further to see if I experience the same…

Edit: Having tested further, yes, different zoom levels will display the symbols correctly but it is incredibly hit-and-miss...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Is there any particular reason why neither 'Layer State Queries' nor 'Captured States' are logged in the History Panel when deleted?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

42 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Is there any particular reason why neither 'Layer State Queries' nor 'Captured States' are logged in the History Panel when deleted?

For consistency with the lack of History when they're created, perhaps?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For consistency with the lack of History when they're created, perhaps?

Well, that would be one pretty convincing reason... so that then begs the second obvious question... :)

I'm struggling to understand how the Scope of 'Selection' works in the context of States...

When Scope is set to either 'Document', 'Spread' or 'Selection' in the context of Find and Replace this makes perfect sense in that the results returned for a search term narrow respectively based on those three criteria...

If I have a simple Publisher file containing 'Text Frames' and 'Images' creating a 'Query' with the 'Layer Type' set to 'Image' and the Scope set as 'Document' results in all images in the Document being shown or hidden when toggling the 'Show', 'Hide' icons in the States Panel.

If Scope is narrowed to 'Spread', then as expected only the images on the selected spread are 'Shown' and 'Hidden' when toggling visibility but I can't figure out how the 'Selection' Scope is designed to work. I assume that it should work similarly to 'Find and Replace', i.e., with an image selected, toggling visibility for the Query should only 'Show' or 'Hide' the selected image but it doesn't, it toggles all images on and off document wide...

The same is true if I have a series of Artboards, each containing some Art Text, setting Scope to 'Document' for a Query that includes 'Art Text', toggles visibility on and off across all Artboards, with the Scope set to 'Artboard', toggling visibility is restricted to the selected Artboard but if I select the Art Text on say three out of six Artboards with the Scope set to 'Selection', toggling visibility still 'Shows' and 'Hides' the Art Text across all six Artboards.

I think I'm misunderstanding how the 'Selection' Scope is designed to work and wondered whether anyone could elaborate...

I note also that with the Scope set to 'Selection' or 'Spread' in Publisher, where 'Find and Replace' restricts the returned results to either the selected text frame or the text frames on both pages of a spread, using the Scope of 'Spread' with a Query that includes the 'Layer Type' of 'Frame Text' hides all Linked 'Text Frames' document wide if the 'Text Frames' appear on the Master Page but per Spread if the Linked 'Text Frames' are on page...

I assume this is because of the need to 'Edit Detached' though this means the 'Spread' Scope behaviour differs from 'Find and Replace', so I just wanted to clarify this is indeed by design since 'Spread' in the context of a typical document based on a Master Page could be considered slightly misleading though I understand the logic...

Hi @Gabe,

That explains it then, many thanks for confirming... :)

• Staff

I think I will merge this question from the other beta bugs forum into the Layer States topic, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi @Gabe,

Are you able to confirm whether the behaviour seen with regards to setting the State Scope to 'Selection' when using Master Page Frame Text vs On Page Frame Text is a bug or expected behaviour?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "States - Query > Layer Type is Fruit Salad" (REF: AF-1924) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

The issue "[macOS] Layer states > Scope : selection doesn't work" (REF: AF-1519) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 2 weeks later...

A Feature Request for State Queries would be the addition of an Include on Export checkbox which would allow you to select items based on specific criteria, keep them visible but with the option for them to be non-printing, i.e., they wouldn't physically print or be included on PDF export when the option is checked...

This would effectively be a more granular version of 'Include on Export' in Publisher's Section Manager and allow individual items on a page to remain visible but non-printing rather than just whole pages...