You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.2.0 bugs

I'm a little startled by bugs I encountered in quick succession since this upgrade:

• A textbox lost its handles and there was no way to get them to appear — I could move the entire text around and otherwise manipulate the text, but could never see the box or the selection. 
  • A similar experience with the gradient tool: handles disappeared, but moving the mouse around changed the gradient.
  • A linked resource did not show up in the Resource Manager, even after save and re-open. Yet the resource was in the layers and was visible.

I'm going to downgrade for now, but I hope new versions will be out soon!

9 minutes ago, Jacob Smullyan said:

A linked resource did not show up in the Resource Manager, even after save and re-open. Yet the resource was in the layers and was visible.

How do you know it is a Linked resource? Perhaps you Rasterized it somehow. It would help to have a screenshot of the complete application window including the Layers panel, with that layer showing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Jacob Smullyan said:
  • A textbox lost its handles and there was no way to get them to appear — I could move the entire text around and otherwise manipulate the text, but could never see the box or the selection. 

I've seen this issue and there have been a few other reports of it. Serif is looking into it but it's not serious, many actions will make the handles reappear. Try changing tools (Frame Text to Move and back or vice versa), try changing apps and back again, try changing documents and back again, try changing the magnification level...

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...

I've gone back to the latest version and frequently have textboxes lose their handles; I save and reopen and can then edit. Very often I notice that I get a font manager notice of missing fonts at that time (I'm pasting in text from other documents), but I'm not sure if that association is causative.

New publisher user also, vers 2.2.1 Mac. I find the move/selection tool to be very erratic as well. Sometimes right clicking where the frame should show up will get it to show and I can grab it. Also the move tool doesn't want to stay selected. Because I am new to Affinity, I'm not sure what is a bug and what is just the behavior that is expected. It's so similar to ID but oh so different at the same time!

Documentation could definitely be improved!!! It is a bit vague or broadly suggestive. Screen shots of panels and dialogue boxes would go a long way to figure out what is meant.

1 hour ago, SueC said:

Documentation could definitely be improved!!! It is a bit vague or broadly suggestive. Screen shots of panels and dialogue boxes would go a long way to figure out what is meant.

Hi Sue, you might want to check out the unofficial but free Publisher manual I've shared in the forum. It only covers certain topics but it has lots of screenshots. A new version is coming soon, timed for the release of 2.3, and it will cover much more.

However, the manual doesn't cover object manipulation which is what this thread is about, selecting frames. Fortunately, it's easy to get the handles back - usually they'll return if you change tools and then back again.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I guess it's the same problem: all handles disappear and sometimes, with luck, reappear. Changing tools doesn't fix it. As you can see in the screenshot (actually you can't see it) the text in the last text box is selected.

Publisher 2.2.0 on MacBook Pro M2 running Sonoma 14.1

image.thumb.png.327b9bcd65f05a04fb98a676ffa6b9d3.png

7 minutes ago, JustARalf said:

I guess it's the same problem: all handles disappear and sometimes, with luck, reappear. Changing tools doesn't fix it. As you can see in the screenshot (actually you can't see it) the text in the last text box is selected.

Publisher 2.2.0 on MacBook Pro M2 running Sonoma 14.1

That sounds like this known issue:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Nope... before I replied (below) I checked with a new document and it worked. Now that I've opened an existing one I have to report that it's still the same: all handles are gone, selected text isn't recognisable as such. Changing tools doesn't do anything. Bummer. As it is, Publisher is utterly useless to me.

My hero! Thanks. Surprisingly keeping software up to date does help sometimes...

Edited by JustARalf
Problem still persists