You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Word Mac 21 fonts not showing up in Publisher

Hello,

I have just bought AP2 and Word Mac (2021). When I try to import text, say, in Calibri into AP I get a "? Calibri". Calibri and other Word fonts are not visible in the list of fonts in AP but are visible in Word. And Word will print them (ie, not substituting). Yet Calibri is not visible in Font Book either. How to I get the Word fonts into AP2? Help for this newbie would be appreciated.

Hi @S B C and welcome to the forums,

I believe this is because, "since the release of Microsoft Office 2016 for the Mac, Microsoft decided to "embed" the Calibri font inside the Office applications themselves, and abandoned the notion of installing the font on the user's computer because the Calibri font, originally designed by Lucas De Grootseems has been licensed by Lucas to Microsoft, which owns and controls the ultimate license for it."

This means you would have to purchase the font for use in other apps on your Mac.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

30 minutes ago, Hangman said:

This means you would have to purchase the font for use in other apps on your Mac.

NOPE, I think for personal usage you can install them system wide on your Mac ! - The following tells how to do so ...

Use "Calibri" Mac font system-wide

Microsoft apparently wants to reserve some fonts from the MS Office package for its own programs and does not install them in the font folders provided by macOS. However, the fonts can be found in the program packages from Word & Co. in standard formats and can therefore simply be installed by hand so that they are available system-wide.

In the Finder Applications folder, locate the Microsoft Word app. Select the app, open its context menu and select the "Show package contents" entry. In the "Contents" folder, navigate to the "Resources" directory, where you will find a folder called "Fonts". This is where Microsoft saves all fonts in Truetype (TT) format.

Double-click the desired font and the system tool will start the font collection, where you can easily install it with one click. In the case of the Calibri font, there are six files whose names all begin with "Calibri...". Each file represents a font style, such as bold, italic, and so on. If you want to use all of them, repeat the steps for each.
Install font for all Mac users

If you want the font to be available not only to you, but to all users of your Mac, start the Font Book program manually and drag the desired font file to "Computer" in the sidebar. Freshly installed fonts are immediately available in Apple programs such as Pages; other applications sometimes have to be closed and restarted.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

33 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

NOPE, I think for personal usage you can install them system wide on your Mac !

Though I would say, 'technically' you likely don't own the licence to use Calibri, unless Microsoft includes the option to use it with any app as part of Office ownership which for certain personal use is permitted but obviously for redistribution uses is not permitted. So, while, yes, you can indeed 'extract' the font very easily, the fact Microsoft doesn't make it freely available to download from their website is for licencing reasons, so it all depends on the intended use...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/font-faq#redistribution-and-extended-rights

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Though I would say, 'technically' you likely don't own the licence to use Calibri, unless Microsoft includes the option to use it with any app as part of Office ownership.

As they usually tend to have that system wide preinstalled on Win (...same as other fonts families are preinstalled on MacOS), you can make certain personal use of those as the *** marked entry below tells. - But since Apple MacOS is not MS Win OS they don't/can't install it system wide there (...that would have been instead Apple's job to offer) and so do place those inside MS macOS apps.

Beside the above referenced, the former MS standard Calibri font is actually now depricated on/for newer Win systems and so will be by MS now system wide replaced by/with "Aptos font" (...initially org once named "Bierstadt font").

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Exactly... traditionally Microsoft licence their fonts from Monotype for use in Windows and Office apps so while you can use them on Windows they are, as you say, not technically available for use on macOS despite the obvious workaround and the same applies with their Aptos font, though of course, you can licence the fonts yourself if you want or need to use them commercially...

6 hours ago, DWright said:

There is a light version of the Calibri font that is available to download from several font sites that you can install on your Mac.

Anybody know if this version licensed for both personal & commercial use, or just for personal use? I could not find any definitive info about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, DWright said:

There is a light version of the Calibri font

Just to be clear, Calibri Light is one of the full-featured weights in the Calibri family, not a ‘light’ font in the sense of being limited in some way.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Calibri Light Regular & Italic is subject to the same MS license as any other MS fonts.
The same unclear mumbo-jumbo explains-nothing license.
So unless there is some fully disclosed special license included on these free font download websites, the license is no different than any other MS font(s).

Note: an MS rep recently did reply to a criticism of the unclear license info on the Typography website, and acknowledged that it is unclear - and said he would try to improve it. Has not happened yet (last time I checked).

Also, there are free alternatives to Calibri which you can use without any restrictions.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Just to be clear, Calibri Light is one of the full-featured weights in the Calibri family, not a ‘light’ font in the sense of being limited in some way.

There are several mentions on the web of a separate Calibri Light Font available for "free" like at https://gettyfonts.net/font/calibril/download, but it is not clear what the license terms actually are for it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

44 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There are several mentions on the web of a separate Calibri Light Font available for "free" like at https://gettyfonts.net/font/calibril/download, but it is not clear what the license terms actually are for it.

But note that at the bottom of that page it says:

You may Download Calibri Light typeface for Free but for personal use only.

Edit: If you actually download the file from that site, and examine the license info in the .ttf file, it is a Microsoft license which says:

You may use this font as permitted by the EULA for the product in which this font is included to display and print content. You may only (i) embed this font in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions included in this font; and (ii) temporarily download this font to a printer or other output device to help print content.

It points to this website for details: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx which leads to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/calibri which leads to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/font-faq which seems to assume you got the font by installing a Microsoft product, so that's not completely helpful either.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But note that at the bottom of that page it says:

Yes, I saw that, which is wht=y I asked earlier if there was a 'free' version for commercial use as well.

Affinity Photo 

51 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, I saw that, which is wht=y I asked earlier if there was a 'free' version for commercial use as well.

If you want to make a professional use of it, you have to buy a commercial licence, like https://www.myfonts.com/collections/calibri-ms-font-microsoft-corporation 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't think GettyFonts.net is any kind of official source for this font (or any font).
They have 10 different "Calibri" fonts available (including the other R/I/B/BI fonts).
More likely they are just using the Calibri name to get search traffic.
And using "Getty" in the site name to misleadingly add credibility.

19 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

I don't think GettyFonts.net is any kind of official source for this font (or any font).

Probably not but there are several different sites claiming they offer a 'free' version so I was not sure if any of them were legit and/or suitable for commercial use.

Affinity Photo