You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Did something break in 2.11 or am I losing my mind?

I setup large artwork for a school building front glass for perforated vinyl. The way I set it up was each window was it's own box and I merged them together using the Add function:

Screenshot2023-07-10at1_17_54PM.jpg.41bdd8feee6652ca9a29a7965176aab1.jpg

Then I could work with the artwork as one piece in side the groups of boxes but it wouldn't show in between the windows at the frames or the bricks. I could also simulate the semi-transparency that the perforated vinyl looks like.

Screenshot2023-07-10at1_19_04PM.jpg.5e1963cf6a2871af236b6846126de9b2.jpg

I got the approval and the artwork a few weeks and was easily able to split the artwork using divide function. Each window then had the artwork as it's windows shown. I then could make each one have their own artboard by using the "convert object to artboard" and then each one could be named, exported and ripped and kept in order:

Screenshot2023-07-10at1_34_36PM.jpg.ed36e019f0f28912a3e54fd0481875a1.jpg 

It's been several weeks and I have the next set ready to go for printing. Either I have forgotten my steps or 2.11 is broken as the function of splitting them apart now makes each blank as if it doesn't have the artwork in it like this:

Screenshot2023-07-10at1_36_39PM.jpg.7a0754f7264937eec287a381d01e42ad.jpg

Is there a way to download 2.1 and try it again? Am I missing a step that I was doing just fine several weeks ago?

thanks for you help!

31 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Is there a way to download 2.1 and try it again?

If you’re using the MAS version and you don’t have a Time Machine (or similar) backup, I think you’re out of luck. If you’re using the Affinity Store version, you can download the DMG file via the relevant link on one of the following pages:

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/designer/2

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/2

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/publisher/2

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you’re using the MAS version and you don’t have a Time Machine (or similar) backup, I think you’re out of luck

With V2, they could simply download from the Affinity Store, at least if they've linked their license to their Affinity account. No need to use a Time Machine backup.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

With V2, they could simply download from the Affinity Store, at least if they've linked their license to their Affinity account. No need to use a Time Machine backup.

Thanks, Walt. I forgot about that — again!

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

I will attempt to try that! thanks!

Specifically, check at https://affinity.store/update/macos/photo/2

(or substitute designer or publisher for photo, as appropriate).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can confirm that I must be crazy. I cannot get this to work, what I just did a few weeks ago. 2.1 seems to act the same.

I need the artwork that was in the joined cuves to stay in there, but for some reason everything deletes when they are split. Any idea what I did before to make these all work??

• Staff

Hi @Bryce,

Instead of using the divide function to split the added curves apart which will delete any clipped/nested layers have you tried using Layer > Geometry > Separate curves? Your artwork should then be retained and nested into the curve at the bottom of the layer stack after separating them. You could then convert the now-separated individual curves to artboards (one at a time, I don't think this function works for multi-selections) via the Layer > Convert object to artboard and then re-position your artwork on the artboards accordingly.

If you're still having issues, could you possibly upload a copy of your file/another sample file so we can see how your document is laid out prior to the divide/separation?

Separate curves seems to do the same thing as divide.

I can upload this. Do you have a link to upload it, or should I just do it here? It's 90MB 

IT all worked just a few weeks ago just fine as you'll see in the file.

thanks!

7 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I can upload this. Do you have a link to upload it, or should I just do it here? It's 90MB

If you prefer not to share it publicly you’ll need to wait for @NathanC to provide a private Dropbox link, but otherwise attaching a 90 MB file to a forum post shouldn’t pose any problems.

Alfred spacer.png

I think what you may have done is just copy and paste the entire artwork onto each Artboard. How you made those artboards I don't know for certain but I suspect it was by drawing rectangles of the appropriate size and location (meaning a rectangle sized to just the glass) with a gap that is the frame of the entire glass wall. and then you converted the rectangles one by one into artboards and pasted the entire Artwork into each artboard.

here is the C1 artboard showing (with blue outlines) exactly what is not on the art board.

ScreenShot2023-07-11at9_53_15AM.png.35f058e6156e5cd7dcdb4910d17a94a2.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I believe I found I'm not crazy:

IMO The issue in version 2.1+ is this functionality is broke.

Here is version 2.04 and what I was doing works just fine. 

HOWEVER, I can't open 2.1 files in 2.04. Anyway to go back? Or is there a way to enable 2.0 functionality on this?

15 minutes ago, Bryce said:

certainly looks like this is a bug or a feature has been removed.

This is a definite regression, like you say, it works correctly in v2.0.4.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...