You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add possibility to display texts under icons for the tool buttons

Since I'm rarely using this app, it would immensely help to have the name of the tool under the icons.

Thread summary:
• The first step would be to implement this:

• A nice-to-have second step would be to implement this:

Edited by Iulian Onofrei
Provide thread summary

How should the name of the tool be displayed under the tool button?

Should the button and text both be left-aligned, or centre-aligned, or something else?

Should the text be ‘a continuous unbroken line of characters’ or should it ‘wrap’ onto more than one line?

If it should ‘wrap’, at what point should it wrap? When it gets to a certain width (what width, and why that width?), or when it gets to a space (always first space, or not, and why?), or something else?

Can you show us a mock up of what, for example, the “Colour Replacement Brush Tool” button would look like with the text underneath it alongside/above/underneath other tools that also have their name displayed?

1 hour ago, Iulian Onofrei said:

I don't know, I'm not a designer

...but you are the person asking for the changes to be done.

Customer: “I want you to make some alterations to my suit.”
Tailor: “No problem sir. If you just tell me how you want it altering…”
Customer: “No, I will not tell you how I want it altering. You will simply make some alterations and then I will tell you what you have done wrong.”

1 hour ago, Iulian Onofrei said:

maybe it would be easier to change it to a horizontal bar

Switching the orientation of the Tools bar to horizontal, and putting the names of the tools at the side of the buttons (left or right), would mean having a scrollable Tools bar (a very long one in most cases) or a very deep panel which would take up a lot of valuable screen space.

I really can’t see that happening, or anyone wanting it.

As some kind of compromise, how about, when the user has the mouse over the Tools bar, if they don’t move the mouse for a few seconds the buttons are (temporarily) replaced (or overlaid) by some (small) text which gives an idea of the tool name. When the user moves the mouse the names go away so they can see the buttons again.

See attached image for a quick mock-up showing ‘before’ and ‘after’.

image.png.9f3a81a979f59d27867a873cf8583744.png

The classic way to handle this is to have a "Tools" menu in the menu bar which mimics the toolbar but lists the tools by name instead of using icons.

A more modern approach is a searchable pop-up menu that appears with one keyboard shortcut you would learn, which you could then start typing the name of a tool or menu command in order to find and switch to / execute it.

12 hours ago, GarryP said:

Can you show us a mock up of what, for example, the “Colour Replacement Brush Tool” button would look like with the text underneath it

My favorite is "Callout Rounded Rectangle Tool" 🙂

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

25 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

And honestly it isn't that bad

That would take up far too much space on any of the monitors that I use, and make the workspace too small (especially once the Left Studio is displayed).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

Well let's say mildly, it's a matter of taste, but for me it's wasting of space and redundant, as the icon button tooltips allready tell all that! - Another thing to keep in mind is, that apps should usually follow overall the common OS styleguides for such things and not the other way around. Aka not every app should make what it want's UI wise here, only since some people are short-sighted, or overall not used to dealing with the available usability specifics of some software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That would take up far too much space on any of the monitors that I use, and make the workspace too small (especially once the Left Studio is displayed).

Yes this would definitelly require to have a larger monitor to use comfortably.

25 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

as the icon button tooltips allready tell all that!

That is the first thing i mentioned at the start of this topic, yes

27 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

common OS styleguides

Technically it does

Windows Apps List

image.png.d3ef7d77ee2f5a9696a9a73da2a9ec5e.png

Powertoys ( by Microsoft )

image.png.190baecbdb48fbb18116a883534c4be7.png

Windows Explorer:

image.png.21a84374c4105336f0ab7fb2a8b86db1.png

These are all lists of Icon - Name which help to find what you are looking for

34 minutes ago, Ezbaze said:

Windows Apps List ...

Those are not in-app used tool panels, so IMO irrelevant here. - As far as I understood it, the OP asked about namings under the app internal tools panel icons and not common OS start panel or task bar app entry representations etc., which are different pairs of shoes here and either way handled by the OS!

Further Powertoys is here a bundle of apps, instead you would have more to show here how MS Office Word/Powerpoint/Excel etc. internally offered tool icons look.

With UI styleguides I meant more things like these here ...

And related to such tool panels ...

gc.jpg.55c5141bb6c9bd5e79688cb50e368f19.jpg

... which is common usage for graphics apps (here shown for GC).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

...but you are the person asking for the changes to be done.

Customer: “I want you to make some alterations to my suit.”
Tailor: “No problem sir. If you just tell me how you want it altering…”
Customer: “No, I will not tell you how I want it altering. You will simply make some alterations and then I will tell you what you have done wrong.”

Incorrect. As a paying customer, I stated the problem and my use case.

17 hours ago, fde101 said:

The classic way to handle this is to have a "Tools" menu in the menu bar which mimics the toolbar but lists the tools by name instead of using icons.

A more modern approach is a searchable pop-up menu that appears with one keyboard shortcut you would learn, which you could then start typing the name of a tool or menu command in order to find and switch to / execute it.

Yesterday I thought about these exact approaches. Indeed, text near buttons would not be feasible, so, yes, the easiest and most obvious step towards an easier to use interface would be to have the tools in the menu bar, which would automatically allow users to search by them in the standard Help menu, which doesn't work now:

image.png.7f383104ca69458c5f104c7f24608ad1.png

image.png.4015b0695229367fb61f0bad35ef0917.png

9 hours ago, Ezbaze said:

Here's how it could look:

Unfortunately, it doesn't match the OP's request.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:10 PM, Iulian Onofrei said:

it would immensely help to have the name of the tool under the icons.

9 hours ago, Ezbaze said:

The downside of your solution is that it must always display and take up space for the longest tool name, i.e. for "Callout Rounded Rectangle Tool", which you didn't show in your example. You could remove the word Tool from the description (it keeps repeating) and the keyboard shortcut (apparently the icon user doesn't use it and they are displayed in the Tooltip), but it could be confusing for some users.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 minutes ago, Return said:

Options.
Practice more often and know the tools by heart.
or 
Make a screenshot of the UI >print out>add the tool names yourself with a pen>hang at your monitor with tape to prevent from losing.

Sorry. By "rarely using", I meant that my use case means that I use the app only once every 2-3 months, meaning that I don't need to use it more often, so it won't happen, so I won't get the practice you're mentioning.

It wasn't meant as a joke although it may seem so but if you're not using it much and want to have the tool names, the printing is a good solution.
I have software that back in the day provided a laminated card with the tools and its shortcuts on it when the cd/dvd came in the mail.

4 hours ago, Iulian Onofrei said:

Wow, this looks great! And it would not impact negatively if you're using a big monitor.

Thank you :)

----------

10 hours ago, v_kyr said:

It's funny how all of those are Apple related

----------

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't match the OP's request.

It is actually, OP even said so

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

The downside of your solution is that it must always display and take up space for the longest tool name, i.e. for "Callout Rounded Rectangle Tool", which you didn't show in your example. You could remove the word Tool from the description (it keeps repeating) and the keyboard shortcut (apparently the icon user doesn't use it and they are displayed in the Tooltip), but it could be confusing for some users.

I used the standard tools shown on the toolbar as it was easier to copy over / copy names over to Figma each one by hand, I did make it wrap in the Figma file with a max of 2 lines, below is the example with "Callout Rounded Rectangle Tool" included within the mockup

image.png.d885965a0892280f37c1fcb26ac627a4.png

----------

@Return The example I showed would actually be a good way to learn, as you have both side by side, with the possibility of minimizing it when it gets in the way.

----------

Illustrator Actually does the same thing when you go to view all of the tools / add new ones to the toolbar, they also have a toggle that allows you to change between a grid/list of icons-text

image.png.eab8809ddca36e75cf33a214b9be67c5.png