You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

display not correct

This is a nitpicky but frustrating issue in Designer 2. My page width is 2.5" and the pink rectangle is 2.5" wide. The display shows a thin white line on either side.  Testing proves that this does NOT happen in Publisher, but DOES happen in Photo.

In both cases, it is not until I zoom in approximately 1100% that the white lines go away.

Has anyone else encountered this?

image_2023-03-17_102716542.png

Artboard position and size is "Pixel perfect"?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Clayton King said:

Has anyone else encountered this

Yes , this is annoying, we have to zoom in to check…

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

• 3 weeks later...

it means the following:

• resize document to use pixel as units
  • in settings, choose 6 decimal digits for px to be displayed
  • use the mode tool and the transform panel to check lady relevant layers and their position and size. It should use while integer numbers, without fractional digits (except 0) after the decimal separator. Any fractional digits could cause those thin lines as side-effect of anti-aliasing. 

There are countless older threads discussing this topic. So you are in good company if you don't like this behaviour. If you want it to get changes, search for one the the current improvement requests and add you vote there.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I'm having the same problem that there is an outline whenever two overlapping shapes have the same boundaries. For example two rectangles of the exact same size and position. In the attached screenshot there is a lighter square on top of a darker square. At the edges the darker square is visible although It shouldn't.

Setting all pixels to ".0" does not solve that.

Squre Edges.jpg

Square no Edges.jpg

1 minute ago, user_0815 said:

I'm having the same problem that there is an outline whenever two overlapping shapes have the same boundaries. For example two rectangles of the exact same size and position. In the attached screenshot there is a lighter square on top of a darker square. At the edges the darker square is visible although It shouldn't.

Setting all pixels to ".0" does not solve that.

Squre Edges.jpg

Did you check the artboart containing these objects, too?
Can you upload the file?
Which view mode do you use?

Did you check if the lower rectangle has a stroke, or layer fx which might increase its size?

There are many more things what could cause this obsetvation.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

I'm having the same problem that there is an outline whenever two overlapping shapes have the same boundaries.

Are you sure they both have exactly the same pixel dimensions?

Can you provide a sample file with just those two shapes at the same places as in your screenshot? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Did you check the artboart containing these objects, too?

Yes.

Can you upload the file?

Yes.

Which view mode do you use?

IDK

Did you check if the lower rectangle has a stroke, or layer fx which might increase its size?

Yes, none of them has an outline. It also happens with any other object.

There are many more things what could cause this obsetvation.

Although, as a user I wouldn't expect such a result. 🧐

Test Square Outline.afdesign

The darker rectangle in your group has a 3.832 px stroke applied to it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes it has, sorry. I've been trying to apply different strokes in order to make it display correctly.

However, removing it doesn't make a difference as (it was inset).

After testing a bit further I found out that it occurs whenever the zoom is non-100%. At 100% zoom it looks as expected. Zooming in or out makes the line show again. Can anyone else reproduce that?

These thin edge lines are most like rendering artifacts in Designer, caused by the performance oriented mipmaps method. On iPad, they are only visible at certain zoom levels, but not at exactly 100% or 200%.

If you switch view mode to pixels, or zoom to 100% or 200%, these artifacts vanish.

Using „split view“ and vector / pixel helps to identify this situation.

We have more reports complaining about this issue, Affinity consistently rates this as „by design“.

D6EADB8F-071A-43FB-8533-C951DDC4A9CC.png

When you create a screenshot, open in Photo, and zoom in quite a bit you see these lines are always 1px wide, no matter what zoom level what’s used in Designer. Another clear indication of a (by design) rendering artifact. The actual data and exports will be ok.

0A99527F-60AA-403D-AF7D-BADDDEDE4B1C.png

Maybe related

Or have a look at older posts

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=Mipmaps&quick=1

Thanks for clarifying.

The reason I reported this is that I sometimes can't tell the difference whether it is a rendering artefact or an actual stroke applied and I would prefer it to be more precise (or find out whether I'm doing something wrong).

Well this certainly opened up a lot of discussion! For what it's worth, it doesn't happen on my Mac - only my Windows PC. Both are highly capable rigs, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. In fact, my PC is more pimped out than my Macbook. Odd...

6 hours ago, user_0815 said:

Thanks for clarifying.

The reason I reported this is that I sometimes can't tell the difference whether it is a rendering artefact or an actual stroke applied and I would prefer it to be more precise (or find out whether I'm doing something wrong).

Exactly so. It's the reason I made the post to begin with. I'm not kicking a dead horse here, but Affinity's user interaction programming is sometimes a bit hinky IMO such that things are selected when I don't think they are, vice versa, last stroke used is remembered, etc. So when I see these lines when looking at the entire artboard, I don't trust that it's not really there. Further, I have also done designs where there are oddly shaped objects that result from intersecting two shapes for the purpose of having them 'entertwined' like in the attachment. Those shapes have also had outlines on them until I zoom in quite close.

8BA6301D-4FEA-4893-BC79-FDE56FBF1B32.jpeg

Just discovered that this border shows even if the on-top shape is 2 pixels larger. But only if I drag it on to the other curve. 

In other words: If they are just two regular layers on top of each other, no border is visible. Otherwise yes. Unfortunately it's also visible in the exported pdf.           

8 hours ago, user_0815 said:

Just discovered that this border shows even if the on-top shape is 2 pixels larger. But only if I drag it on to the other curve.

If you nest a layer as child, it gets clipped to the shape of the parent layer. Every pixels outside the parent edge is cut off. So effectively it sized will be reduced again, and the observation is to be expected.

In addition, you may get anti-aliasing at edge pixels, and the performance setting about „exact clipping“ may complicate things further.  

On 4/5/2023 at 6:34 AM, NotMyFault said:

We have more reports complaining about this issue, Affinity consistently rates this as „by design“.

I'd say in this instance by design means "We don't know how to fix it"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

it gets clipped to the shape of the parent layer

Of course I know that, but totally forgot in that moment... 

52 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I'd say in this instance by design means "We don't know how to fix it"

Yes, so I'll leave this topic as it is and find a way around it when necessary.