You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2 Datamerger no longer detects line breaks

I made a workflow to generate brochures and handouts with the comapny's address using data merger in Publisher V1 and it was able to detect line breaks so when I generated it would do the bullet points and line breaks for me just as I put it in the excel file.

but now moving over to V2, it no longer detects line breaks from my excel file. Instead it opts in for word wrapping. I tried using CSV, TSV, JSON and nothing worked.

Is there any way to fix this? I really don't want to roll back everything I've done so far back to V1 if I can help it.

The one with the black marker is the data merge field from Publisher V1 and the only is from V2.

Thank you so much your time and reading this!

** I also posted on bugs, but if anyone else is experiencing this and has a fix please let me know

Screenshot 2023-02-15 124036.png

Screenshot_20230215_124130.png

Yes, the code seems to remove both the Excel native linefeeds (entered by typing Alt+Enter/Opt+Return) and the kinds of linefeeds inserted by using something like CHAR(10). For a while you could work around this by replacing existing line feeds with a marker like "<LF>", and then use Find + Replace in merged Publisher document to replace markers with true line breaks.

It would probably be useful to have the address items as separate fields and then concatenate the address field to be used in the merge document, but in Excel it is possible to Find and Replace Alt+Enter/Opt+Return linefeeds by entering Ctrl/Cmd+J in the Find field and e.g. <LF> in the Replace field.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Luca Digital said:

I have the same issue. Workflow broken.

To me the fact of removing line breaks is a bug. You need to be able to import text from CSV that has line breaks into it. I will also report it.

Yea, it really sucks, I just went back to V1 until this issue is resolved. Luckily I saved past versions. I do a lot of work flows with data merger so no longer be using V2.
The work flow suggested above would take too much time to go through every file add <LF> and then re merge everything.

• Staff
On 3/6/2023 at 9:46 PM, Luca Digital said:

I have the same issue. Workflow broken.

To me the fact of removing line breaks is a bug. You need to be able to import text from CSV that has line breaks into it. I will also report it.

Welcome to the forums @Luca Digital,

This issue is already logged with the developers, i've now bumped it with your report.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Snorelaxing said:

Also is there anyway to buy Publisher V1 so ....

No.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Snorelaxing said:

Has there been any updates that addresses this issue?

No to that, too, so the release 2.1.0 continues to be broken. I am not sure if the state of brokenness is actually even acknowledged or if the change (which requires a deliberate act) is a new feature and that is here to stay.

7 hours ago, lacerto said:

I am not sure if the state of brokenness is actually even acknowledged

Well, it's logged as a bug, at least. And the Developers have had a few months to say "by design" and they haven't said that yet, though we know they're busy and may just not have gotten to it.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFB-7327

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, walt.farrell said:

Well, it's logged as a bug, at least.

Good to know, but as said, the earlier feature existed pretty much gratuitously because the line breaks came with the data so no effort was needed to "support" the feature. Making it "broken", however, means that control characters are intentionally removed. That may be well grounded so therefore (and because the feature would be easy to get back) my guess is that the feature will not necessarily be back, unless supported in another, less direct, way. But who knows. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Catshill said:

I am finding the inability of APu to find paragraph breaks in Find and Replace very frustrating...

In either V1 or V2 of APu, in the F&R panel, click on the magnifying glass icon in the Find or Replace With field to pop up a menu with a Special Characters submenu. On it you will find paragraph & the other kinds of breaks listed, so you can enter them in those fields.

Are you saying this does not work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

In either V1 or V2 of APu, in the F&R panel, click on the magnifying glass icon in the Find or Replace With field to pop up a menu with a Special Characters submenu. On it you will find paragraph & the other kinds of breaks listed, so you can enter them in those fields.

Are you saying this does not work for you?

Correct. If I copy and paste the same text into MS Word, the paragraph break is found.

13 minutes ago, Catshill said:

Correct. If I copy and paste the same text into MS Word, the paragraph break is found.

I am not sure what you mean by "correct." Does F&R not find paragraph breaks if you enter them in the field as I described, or is there something else that prevents this from working in APub?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean by "correct." Does F&R not find paragraph breaks if you enter them in the field as I described, or is there something else that prevents this from working in APub?

Not it doesn’t find paragraph breaks. I’d assumed that this was a known bug but clearly not. I’ll start a new bug report/thread rather than hijacking this one.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, NathanC said:

... this thread is tagged with the issue so when there are any updates the Serif Info Bot will automatically reply to the thread.

About Serif Info Bot, I often get notifications that it has replied to topics I'm following but there is no post from it. This is one such topic (see below). Any idea why that is?SerifInfoBot.jpg.e0cea5a3cec9d6f8c65ff2223b6e524f.jpg

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
On 10/14/2023 at 2:28 PM, R C-R said:

This is one such topic (see below). Any idea why that is?

Looks like a bug. Serif Info Bot has posted to this thread (a hidden post has been made for staff to link to the bug Nathan has acknowledged). If it's a hidden automated post then you should not be notified, but it looks to me like if you are to be notified of replies by visible users the forum software includes posts you cannot see too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 5 months later...