You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona 👉🏼 White Balance = Crash

Peacemaker

Before updating to Affinity Photo (2.0.3) everything worked fine.  I updated to (2.0.3) and now things are getting buggy.  Example Develop Persona, then click white balance and then CRASH!  I have reinstalled Affinity Photo 2 twice now, while refreshing my computer.  Also have tried different pictures and have experienced same results several times.  I’m working on a Late 2015 iMac 27 inch with macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 

Tested same pictures on Affinity Photo 1 and all pictures work fine, so AF2 has issues.

This morning (12-20-22) I found a work around.  I can still use Develop Persona for some adjustments, but not the white balance, so I make some adjustments with out white balance and Develop adjustments that render.  From here I went to the Adjustments tab on the right bottom and clicked on white balance.  I then rasterized the pixel image with white balance to get the effect I’m after.  I guess extra steps is what works for now.  Anyway, I thought I’d share for those with same issue.

• Staff

@Peacmaker

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

We have reported this to the developers and it should be fixed in the next update, sorry for the inconvenience.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

macOS Ventura 13.1, MacBook Pro with M1. Affinity photo 2.0.3. - confirming that after update from previous version, any attempt to move the white balance slider(s) in Develop persona leads to crash of the Affinity Photo. Happens for all picture files (not just one or few) and both when working on RAW or non-RAW formats.

1 hour ago, DannyBCreative said:

AP 2.0.3 on M1-Max running Monterey - no such crash. I keep trying to crash the app, but I can't. Using a SONY RAW file in develop mode, I've adjusted every single slider available, multiple times, and I just can't get the app to crash.

Hey Danny,

Great to hear.  I think, maybe this new version of PH2 is more tailored for future computers, such as your M1.  I’m using a late 2015 27” iMac, running Big Sur.  I’m trying to tough it out to buy another iMac, while waiting to see if the iMac M series comes with bigger screen and more powerful options than 24” M1 iMacs.  Any which way though, the AP2 said it’s compatible with what I use.  So we’ll see about future updates. 

4 minutes ago, Peacmaker said:

Hey Danny,

Great to hear.  I think, maybe this new version of PH2 is more tailored for future computers, such as your M1.  I’m using a late 2015 27” iMac, running Big Sur.  I’m trying to tough it out to buy another iMac, while waiting to see if the iMac M series comes with bigger screen and more powerful options than 24” M1 iMacs.  Any which way though, the AP2 said it’s compatible with what I use.  So we’ll see about future updates. 

Another follow up.  i just checked this issue again (12-26-22)  and the same issue has occurred!

Model: MacBookPro18,2, BootROM 8419.60.44, proc 10:8:2 processors, 64 GB, SMC 
Graphics: Apple M1 Max, Apple M1 Max, Built-In
Display: Color LCD, 3456 x 2234 Retina, Main, MirrorOff, Online
Memory Module: LPDDR5, Hynix
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_wifi (0x14E4, 0x4387), wl0: Sep  3 2022 02:35:52 version 20.10.965.9.8.7.129 FWID 01-b0e84a9b
Bluetooth: Version (null), 0 services, 0 devices, 0 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000003c
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x000000000000003c

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [2044]

VM Region Info: 0x3c is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 105553518919620
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      MALLOC_NANO (reserved)   600018000000-600020000000 [128.0M] rw-/rwx SM=NUL  ...(unallocated)

Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   liblibpersona.dylib                      0x28993b618 RasterDevelopCommand::Params::CalculateRAWWhiteBalanceScalers() + 168
1   liblibpersona.dylib                      0x28993b5a4 RasterDevelopCommand::Params::CalculateRAWWhiteBalanceScalers() + 52
2   liblibpersona.dylib                      0x2905409c8 DevelopTool::SetWhiteBalance(double, bool, bool) + 84
3   libcocoaui                               0x12a0aa3d4 -[WhiteBalanceDevelopItem whiteBalanceSliderChanged:] + 168
4   AppKit                                   0x1ad660fa0 -[NSApplication(NSResponder) sendAction:to:from:] + 440
5   AppKit                                   0x1ad660db8 -[NSControl sendAction:to:] + 72
6   libcocoaui                               0x12a15a130 -[Slider mouseDown:] + 656
7   AppKit                                   0x1ad65b990 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _handleMouseDownEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 3420
8   AppKit                                   0x1ad5e5ab8 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 1984
9   AppKit                                   0x1ad5e5124 -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 284
10  libcocoaui                               0x12a4a8f50 -[PersonaWindow sendEvent:] + 456
11  AppKit                                   0x1ad5e425c -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 1920
12  libcocoaui                               0x12a4e44c0 -[Application sendEvent:] + 1028
13  AppKit                                   0x1ad836360 -[NSApplication _handleEvent:] + 60
14  AppKit                                   0x1ad4aba08 -[NSApplication run] + 500
15  AppKit                                   0x1ad482e28 NSApplicationMain + 880
16  dyld                                     0x1a9e2fe50 start + 2544

On 12/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, olesya said:

I also have the same problem only with jpg, tiff files, but raw NEF work fine

Same question. Are you processing jpeg and tiff files in the develop persona? I get that the crash shouldn't happen for something so trivial, but why not just work the tiff and jpeg files in the standard photo persona? Keep the develop persona for developing RAW files. Unlike Adobe Camera Raw, there is little to no need to take already converted RAW files (jpeg, tiff, png, etc) into the Develop Persona.

• Staff

This will be fixed in the next (2.0.4.x) customer beta, and that fix will therefore be part of the 2.0.4 release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Re use of other than raw formats for this purpose: Trying to understand the sw problem, not processing pictures. Crash happened with raw, so question that can be tested is, if the sw problem is specific to processed file format. User test: Load other formats to crashed persona and try white balance. Result: Problem is independent of the file format.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:43 PM, Patrick Connor said:

This will be fixed in the next customer beta, and that fix will therefore be part of the next release.

I have four crash reports today, using 2.0.3, if they are of any use.  Would be happy to send one or more.  Big Sur, M1 chip.  I have also tried this with the most recent Beta, doing a DEVELOP and then a SAVE before attempting anything in White Balance.  I then opened the Develop Persona again and attempted to move the White Balance slider.  Still crashes, and the previously saved document has entirely disappeared from my MAC.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 12/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, Peacmaker said:

Before updating to Affinity Photo (2.0.3) everything worked fine.  I updated to (2.0.3) and now things are getting buggy.  Example Develop Persona, then click white balance and then CRASH!  I have reinstalled Affinity Photo 2 twice now, while refreshing my computer.  Also have tried different pictures and have experienced same results several times.  I’m working on a Late 2015 iMac 27 inch with macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 

Tested same pictures on Affinity Photo 1 and all pictures work fine, so AF2 has issues.

HI diggs here........Same problem only difference is running Ventura 13.0.1 on a 2021 iMac.  

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I have also tried this with the most recent Beta, doing a DEVELOP and then a SAVE before attempting anything in White Balance.  I then opened the Develop Persona again and attempted to move the White Balance slider.  Still crashes, and the previously saved document has entirely disappeared from my MAC.  

Patrick indicated it would be solved in the next beta. There is no active  beta currently, and no one should be running beta versions of the Affinity applications at this time.

I doubt they need any dumps. The issue is logged, and now it is a matter of waiting for the developers to fix it (presumably, sometime in January when they release a new beta in preparation for 2.0.4).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1