You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printer profiles missing in new affinity apps

Bmongo

Hi all.

I am wondering if someone could help me with the printer profiles in the new Affinity 2 apps? Some of my printer profiles are missing in the new app. Is there a way that I can get them back manually or can it be done automatically? I have attached two screenshots one of the version 1 app with the printer profiles and the other of app 2 with them missing. The first pic is in designer 1 with the profiles and the second is the new app where I cannot access them. Would love to hear back and see how I can fix this. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

For some reason your screenshots won't display for me.

Are you using Windows 11 or OSX? In either case, Affinity 2 will find color profiles in the system folder where color profiles are stored.

Pathnames where Affinity 2 should find them are here for each OS: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/where-are-my-icc-profiles

You might have had the profiles in Affinity 1's affinity-specific directory where Affinity 2 won't look.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

I don't see the screenshots either. Are you talking about ICC profiles as Print Monkey guessed? 

You might also be talking about Affinity printing profiles that you asked Affinity to save in the Print dialog. If so, I don't think they're migrated from V1 when you install V2. It might be possible to migrate them manually, but we'd need to know your OS.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi guys. Thanks for your response. I am using windows 10. It is the icc profiles. It seems to be the CMYK profiles that are missing. They are all in the document profile setup but not when I go to print, they are not in the printer profiles. I was thinking it might have been the ones that were with v1 but I have checked where the icc profiles are stored in the windows folder and they are all there. I have a few other ones that cannot be picked up either for some reason. I have attached a pic of v1 with the profiles and v2 without the profiles and a screenshot of where all my icc profiles are too and they are all there. If I could put them in manually either that would be great.

Thanks

Print profile screenshots.jpg

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

20 hours ago, Bmongo said:

It seems to be the CMYK profiles that are missing.

This is a problem for me too. All CMYK and Greyscale profiles will not be shown in the pulldown of the printing dialogue in V2.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

1 hour ago, Bmongo said:

joe_l If you find out how to fix it could you let me know please? Thanks

I would if I could, but I don't have the tools or knowledge to fix it. Just a wild guess: Affinity looks into the ICC profiles and everything else other than RGB will be ignored. Maybe one could edit the ICC file to pretend it is RGB or we have to wait for Serif to fix (if ever). Sorry.

----------

On 11/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, joe_l said:

Just a wild guess: Affinity looks into the ICC profiles and everything else other than RGB will be ignored.

Comparing the two screenshots of @Bmongo it appears more complex: When the document profile is CMYK then RGB print profiles are available – whereas when the document is set to sRGB then CMYK profiles are offered. So "just" vice versa than wanted and useful.

Edited by thomaso
'then' –> 'than'

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

When the document profile is CMYK then RGB print profiles are available – whereas when the document is set to sRGB then CMYK profiles are offered. So "just" vice versa then wanted and useful.

Hmmm, not for me on Windows 10 Enterprise. Only RGB profiles are offered, no matter which colour space.

----------

Hi Thomaso. The screenshot above is of both version 1 and version 2. The top one is version 1 where all the profiles are correct and the one under that is of version 2 where they are missing. In the second photo (version 2) I set up the document profile to swop but still all the printer profiles will not show up in the printer profile drop down menu. Not sure what to do to fix this.

17 minutes ago, Bmongo said:

The screenshot above is of both version 1 and version 2. The top one is version 1 where all the profiles are correct

Sorry, haven't noticed before the different tool icons / app versions. – But then I still wonder in screenshot 1 (V1) about the CMYK document profile but with RGB profiles listed in the menu, especially with monitor profiles included. When you say "correct" do you / the printer want / demand a RGB profile when printing a CMYK document?

By the way, to avoid confusion: I also get RGB profiles in V1 when printing a CMYK document – I just never experienced that because I avoid the Affinity print feature and prefer PDF export + print from another app.

414877920_printcolourprofilesV1RGBforCMYKdocument.thumb.jpg.fd6681a173e18d5771d96980356f5605.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have always printed from affinity and I suppose that I have just got so use to printing form it and I had my profiles selections that worked for me in the version 1 that i never really thought about printing from another app. When I said "correct" , what I should have said was that the other profiles were there :) I must look into printing from a different app. any recomendations? Thanks for your help

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

When the document profile is CMYK then RGB print profiles are available – whereas when the document is set to sRGB then CMYK profiles are offered. So "just" vice versa then wanted and useful.

That sounds like a bug since it doesn't seem to make much sense......

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry this report missed the recent 2.0.3 deadline, but we will push for it to be fixed in a future update, hopefully soon

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry this report missed the recent 2.0.3 deadline, but we will push for it to be fixed in a future update, hopefully soon

Thanks for that patrick. I will wait untill then hopefully it gets fixed. I havn't really had a chance to use v2 because of this. In v1 I print from the app and for my printer its normally the "swop" profile that gets the colours right for me which I cannot get in V2. Anyway fingers crossed it will get sorted in the next update. Thanks again Patrick for logging this.

41 minutes ago, CarrotNL said:

That's to bad. I can try to print it as a PDF, but we have a very strange printer, and I cant get any good colors with any color profile I try. Thank you so far.

CarrotNL I have an oki printer and I am in the same boat as you 🙂 I had found that the SWOP profile was the closest I could get in V1 but not available in V2 (not yet anyway). Hopefully fingers crossed the next update wont be too far away 🙂

37 minutes ago, Bmongo said:

CarrotNL I have an oki printer and I am in the same boat as you 🙂 I had found that the SWOP profile was the closest I could get in V1 but not available in V2 (not yet anyway). Hopefully fingers crossed the next update wont be too far away 🙂

Thanks Bmongo! On our printer Japan Color 2001 Uncoated seams to work the best, but I will try the SWOP profile again when the update is out. It's been an long sinds I tried.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Pauls said:

that's quite an advanced printer - which print driver are you using and what are the colour management settings in the actual printer driver set to ?

I'm using the PS driver. The colour management in the driver is set to US Web Coated Swop V2. Normally when i print form affinity V1 I have the option in printer profile  dropdown menu to choose the us web coated but not in V2.