You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cryptomatte support in Photo v2

First of all, thanks alot for updates

It would be really awesome to implement cryptomatte support in near future. Something like this: automatic generation of selection mask layers based on cryptomatte data in OpenEXR files as well as filtering of cryptomatte data layers when opening files.

Edited by peterker

3 hours ago, Nickfranken said:

Good one! Maybe adjust it for full exr support incl linear acescg workflow!

Yes. Very true. Being able to exploit EXR AOV layers fully in AP is something I would like to see. I don't know the plugin situation for Affinity apps but allowing and encouraging that could help open up some workflows in the right hands. For instance, a plugin like EXR-io would be great if it could be adapted to AP

11 hours ago, kirk23 said:

Please don't make it like exr_IO . let it be  just a cool split screen  interface where  you could select an object and just have a mask . Not gazillion of masks at once

Sounds interesting. I'll take what exr-IO does but if you have a better idea for implementation, I'm all ears. I'm not sure I can picture what you mean exactly. Would you see selecting a pixel with a wand and having a setting to select the cryptomatte ID corresponding to it as an option for the magic wand or something? Not sure about the split screen thing. Care to mock that up?

1 hour ago, ThatMikeGuy said:

Care to mock that up?

I just offer the way how cryptomatte usually works evrywhere  . In Blender compositing pane for example .   You have a split view  and in one half you see  cryptomatter info layer  with all objects  filled flat with random color id  . you  select something there and get  b$w mask  in right pane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any idea if this feature is being worked on? I really need this feature in Affinity Photo, as do many other CG artists.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 5 months later...

Are there any official stance on this?

Would be nice to know if this is something that will come down the road or never be implemented, been kind of waiting for this since long before version 2 arrived.

For CG artists, cryptomatte along with ACES color space is basically a required part of the toolset.

I'm not sure though, if CG artists are a target audience for Affinity, and focusing more on photohgraphers and illustrators?

• 2 weeks later...

Just find crypto-matte source code  of Blender compositing nodes in archives they regularly publish    and do the same.  

But rather  like a procedural  mask filter  where you could pick  something  from multilayered exr is split screen preview  and get a mask for any  layer on top of it .     Don't do it EXR-IO style please . Its pretty inconvenient there.  We don't need gazillions of layers  in our layer stacks. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...