You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Decimal-place accuracy missing still

I absolutely concur, I need more decimal places in the display for line size and object position especially. Ideally this precision will be adjustable in preferences as done in the desktop version. I understand the real estate challenge of implementing it on iPad but I'm sure the clever folks at Serif can solve that. For example, use rectangles instead of space wasting circles.

Currently I often have to re-enter a size for a given object just to verify that it's as expected in order to fit a new element. All my current work, for CNC use, needs 0.01 mm accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add my voice to those asking for this "feature."  Apparently, the same feature is missing across all three affinity programs (designer, photo and publisher.) 

In fact, this lack of precision results in very buggy behavior when used with US-based document sizes: To put that in perspective, in the US the standard unit of measurement is an inch, and the difference between 1.00 inch and 1.04 inches is over a millimeter.  That's a significant error when editing photographs, designing images, or layout out documents for publishing.

Glad to hear the voices for this feature/fix. I continue to see issues that limit my sizing issues in ADv2. My use is for very large page sizes - and relationally high accuracy requirements. Currently my use of millimeter units results in 0.1 mm accuracy - enough for current work. 

But many other scenarios (those mentioned by others are good examples) are limited by Affinity’s lack of decimal accuracy (semantically- precision). 

Hopefully some day this will be addressed. V2.1 is coming. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, dre. said:

this is not an iPad only problem. I am having the same issue on the windows version with only 1 decimal place (in mm's)?? It's still there in 2.1!

It is an iPad only problem, because Windows and Mac give you the option of choosing how many decimals you want. The iPad apps don't.

image.png.b1a61a18a04f98770ded9795885169d7.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 hours ago, dre. said:

I have to say, the V2 help guides are absolutely useless, I searched nothing came up!

Small tip: try use Google Search for search in Affinity Help
https://www.google.com/search?q=decimal+places+site:https://affinity.help/designer2

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi - we've added the decimal place accuracy options available on desktop to iPad in the 2.2 beta which is available now.

If you'd like to give it a go you can join our beta program here - be great to get your feedback.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finishing a first review of this missing feature, and have to say that the 2.2 beta on Mac AND iPad work quite well. Yaaaaaaay! Congrats to the Serif teams responsible! And thank you! Truly.

Settings for each level of units are configurable (app-level - user must set this up for each - Mac and iPad versions). I’d love to see this attribute be assignable at a file level (better still - user-definable), which would allow user to have a default assignation at app level, with the option to assign each file with it’s own accuracy and scale settings. In fact, I’ll have to check for that - files might hold these settings.