You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to create this same Background image from this Photo ?

Hi Guys,

Just came across this Background Still Colour image (Atleast what I think and I like it) I was wondering can it anyways be replicated ? or can something very close to it be designed and made in Affinity Photo? Now before anyone jumps on to me saying that this is not a digitally created background, it is a physical cloth that they have used as background, which I understand and hence I said if we can have anything closer to this look, even that will work for me.

Please suggest guys.

Thanks in Advance !

031D637D-B9AF-4A2D-85F3-B6ED83547D2D.jpeg

Unless I’m mistaken, this is pretty much the same question as you asked a while ago: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155327-trying-to-create-a-fill-layer-template-from-this-picture-confused-about-picking-colour/
Except this time the background is a bit more ‘grungy’.
Use the techniques shown in your other thread and then add a Live Procedural Texture layer (maybe Perlin Noise).
You can then experiment with Blend Modes, Opacity, Blur, and things like that to get what you want.
image.png.a43087ef4af6d7af7b17acf7a52c5bef.png

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Unless I’m mistaken, this is pretty much the same question as you asked a while ago: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155327-trying-to-create-a-fill-layer-template-from-this-picture-confused-about-picking-colour/
Except this time the background is a bit more ‘grungy’.
Use the techniques shown in your other thread and then add a Live Procedural Texture layer (maybe Perlin Noise).
You can then experiment with Blend Modes, Opacity, Blur, and things like that to get what you want.
image.png.a43087ef4af6d7af7b17acf7a52c5bef.png

Not the same question, same context but different background wallpaper so a different approach ? Right ?

Unless I’m not seeing something specific in the original photo which is important to you then the instructions above seem reasonable:

• Create the initial background using gradients, lighting, etc. (via instructions in the linked thread)
  • Then add an ‘overlay’ which adds some ‘grunge’ to that background (via vague instructions in this thread).

Did you try it?

19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Unless I’m not seeing something specific in the original photo which is important to you then the instructions above seem reasonable:

• Create the initial background using gradients, lighting, etc. (via instructions in the linked thread)
  • Then add an ‘overlay’ which adds some ‘grunge’ to that background (via vague instructions in this thread).

Did you try it?

Nope. I have not tried it.

Just now, GarryP said:

I have no idea what’s going on now so I will leave this for other people to handle, if they wish to do so.

The whole idea of posting this question is yes of course I will try it but like a school teacher if you ask me are you gonna try it or no ? What do you expect someone to answer ? Yes !! That is a given !!

Hi Guys ! Ok Thanks to @GarryP for giving me a headstart here, I was trying to create a Wall Paper with this greenish tone grungy look as in the picture of Idris Elba above, I started by creating a new document then applied a fill layer, then applied a Gradient Mask then played with the Gradient Mask and then applied a Live Procedural Texture filter. And it is giving me this result. What do you guys think about the end result ?any changes that I should make, which you guys would suggest to make my project come closer and look similar to the Idirs Elba Wallpaper.

I have also attached a .afphoto file. Please feel free to make changes to it, so even I can have a look on your suggested changes.

Once again Thanks to each and every guy and the community here ! This place Rocks ! It Never Dissapoints !!

597126787_AlbaPaper.thumb.png.a6004a0ab1c0f2a52ec49d556ab2ef90.png

Alba Paper.afphoto

30 minutes ago, augustya said:

I tried playing with the Gradient Bar it is not yet giving me that dark corners.

What kind of gradients have you tried. I would expect radial or possibly conical to come close, then it's a matter of playing with the size and handle positions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What kind of gradients have you tried. I would expect radial or possibly conical to come close, then it's a matter of playing with the size and handle positions.

I have used Elliptical in this.

rect-gradients.jpg.19948ba4f5dcb82f3d66ced5740e8a63.jpg

Since I was lazy I've used two rects + gradients here (one rect with an applied gradient and then copy/paste reverse that one for the second one). - The whole can of course instead be also done with just one rect & one applied gradient with more setup gradient stop points instead.

rect-gradients.afphoto

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

rect-gradients.jpg.19948ba4f5dcb82f3d66ced5740e8a63.jpg

Since I was lazy I've used two rects + gradients here (one rect with an applied gradient and then copy/paste reverse that one for the second one). - The whole can of course instead be also done with just one rect & one applied gradient with more setup gradient stop points instead.

rect-gradients.afphoto

It's gotten a little too dark for my liking. But by the way what is Rect ? Rectangle ?

Yes rectangles, you can adjust how light or dark these should be via the gradient point settings (color and oppacity of gradient points). So it's up to you to adjust these in the way you like then. - Sample ...

testbild.jpg.b691ab554268b347d7b6db4e14b2f294.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

43 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Yes rectangles, you can adjust how light or dark these should be via the gradient point settings (color and oppacity of gradient points). So it's up to you to adjust these in the way you like then. - Sample ...

testbild.jpg.b691ab554268b347d7b6db4e14b2f294.jpg

I am not clear if I know where are these gradient points ? Do you mean the dots at the end of the line when you apply gradient mask ?

7 hours ago, augustya said:

The Original Idris Elba wallpaper has got Darker Corners, so if anyways if even I can have it in my Project that would be great. I tried playing with the Gradient Bar it is not yet giving me that dark corners.

If you just want to darken the corners how about using a Live Vignette filter? 
I also aded a little lightness ("glow") behind the dude... using a copy of him so the shape follows exactly.
file attached, adjust to taste.

1002047455_AlbaPaperjj.png.16473c722cd55b0d236d50c29d6fd2d3.png

Alba Paper jj.afphoto

16 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Vignetting via a vignette filter is for sure the easier to apply way here for the OP!

24 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I also aded a little lightness ("glow") behind the dude... using a copy of him so the shape follows easily.

Alba Paper jj.afphoto

But if I apply this Live Vignette Filter do I tend to lose the original grunge look which I am trying to copy from the Idris Elba wallpaper ? Or are you saying in addition to the Live Procedural Texture I should also use Live Vingette Filter ?

Without the Live Procedural Texture Filter can I still get that kind of grunge look background ?

6 minutes ago, augustya said:

Without the Live Procedural Texture Filter can I still get that kind of grunge look background ?

That background is a manufactured piece of Cloth or Paper. That is then lit so there are unlit areas in the corners of it. 

Use a couple of Pixel layers with Perlin noise. Colur to taste and use 50% blend opacity for the top layer. There is your 'grunge'. Pop a Rectangle over the whole thing with a Gradient (elliptical) and set it to multiply blend mode at about 30%.

1990248122_ScreenShot2022-05-07at9_02_06AM.png.8444620e223f2b12ceb1df761ca111c6.png

917396337_ScreenShot2022-05-07at9_01_54AM.thumb.png.2f8739aece3cdce31d25c8c901b8716d.png

By moving the gradient around you can achieve the fall off of light in the corners or edges. You could even use colour instead of neutral greys for the stops and pretend it is the colour of the light for the scene.

fake cloth backdrop.afphoto

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

56 minutes ago, augustya said:

But if I apply this Live Vignette Filter do I tend to lose the original grunge look which I am trying to copy from the Idris Elba wallpaper ? Or are you saying in addition to the Live Procedural Texture I should also use Live Vingette Filter ?

In addition to the procedural.
Did you open the attached file? It's still there.
(the grunge is still there in posted vignette example after all 😉)

It is on top though. To not "interfere" with the texture at all, the easiest solution (and probably what I should have done in the first place) is to just move the vignette below the textured layer.
..... or, you keep it where it is and play with different blend modes.

16 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

In addition to the procedural.
Did you open the attached file? It's still there.
(the grunge is still there in posted vignette example after all 😉)

It is on top though. To not "interfere" with the texture at all, the easiest solution (and probably what I should have done in the first place) is to just move the vignette below the textured layer.
..... or, you keep it where it is and play with different blend modes.

17 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

I also aded a little lightness ("glow") behind the dude... using a copy of him so the shape follows exactly.

Alba Paper jj.afphoto

Hey ! I went through the File you updated. And I see you have done 2 things added a Outer Glow and Second is added a Live Vignette Filter. And my question is, why did you apply the Outer Glow on a Duplicate file ? Why did you have to create a duplicate file for this ? So the steps were you just created a duplicate file and applied the Effect Layer and used the Outer Glow right ?

Second on the Live Vignette Filter, why did you think to use it ? I mean what does it do ? And in this case why did you think it would help ? Can you tell me what was your thought process behind it ?