You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is select sampled colour not working?

It would help if you include the layer panel into the screenshot, and the channels panel (large enough to show the thumbnail of pixel selection)

Maybe wrong layer selected in layer stack.

Sometimes the marching ants are unreliable (but the channels panel will show)

to check that it works: add a few large colored spots by brush (red, blue, green), then try again.

you need to mouse-click on a pixel having the color you want to select. Try the RGB colored spots, then the black text or white background 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:54 AM, NotMyFault said:

It would help if you include the layer panel into the screenshot, and the channels panel (large enough to show the thumbnail of pixel selection)

Maybe wrong layer selected in layer stack.

Sometimes the marching ants are unreliable (but the channels panel will show)

to check that it works: add a few large colored spots by brush (red, blue, green), then try again.

you need to mouse-click on a pixel having the color you want to select. Try the RGB colored spots, then the black text or white background 

There's only one layer in the layer stack. If I try to erase the white bits, the black erases too. 

test.jpg

I know you said this is a rasterized layer.  Nonetheless, try rasterizing it again. I have found that, occasionally, even a minimal change can cause a layer to act like it’s not really rasterized. I don’t know exactly why this can happen (haven’t yet figured out the “recipe”) but when I come upon an operation that ought to work, but just doesn’t, rasterizing again sometimes lets me proceed.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

On 2/27/2022 at 1:23 AM, TheOtherNiki said:

The sampled colour is black. Why isn't it selecting the black?

How are you sampling the colour?

You should just be clicking with the cursor on the black (or white) in the image after the Select Sampled Colour command, then click the Apply button

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

39 minutes ago, carl123 said:

How are you sampling the colour?

You should just be clicking with the cursor on the black (or white) in the image after the Select Sampled Colour command, then click the Apply button

I usually click on the eyedropper, select the colour, then double click the colour that the eyedropper sampled to get it into the colour circle on the left.

5 minutes ago, TheOtherNiki said:

I usually click on the eyedropper, select the colour, then double click the colour that the eyedropper sampled to get it into the colour circle on the left.

You shouldn't have to double click.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, TheOtherNiki said:

Right, for sampled colour. I was thinking of when I want to use the sampled colour. Then I have to double click.

If you're using the eyedropper in the Color panel (or Swatches panel, or the other places), not the Color Picker Tool, then you:

1. Drag the eyedropper to the spot you want to sample. This fills the small color well that is part of the sampler.

2. Then to apply the color you click once on the sampler again. This applies it to the selected object and transfers it to the large color well.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

But none of that is related to Select Sampled Color. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 hours ago, TheOtherNiki said:

You don't use/need the eyedropper to select the colour

Use the mouse cursor and click on the image the colour you want to sample

From the help file...

To create a pixel selection from a sampled colour:
  1. Select the pixel layer containing the colour to be sampled.
  2. From the Select menu, choose Select Sampled Colour.
  3. Click on the colour to be sampled.
  4. Adjust the settings in the dialog.
  5. Click Apply.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

You don't use/need the eyedropper to select the colour

Use the mouse cursor and click on the image the colour you want to sample

From the help file...

To create a pixel selection from a sampled colour:

1. Select the pixel layer containing the colour to be sampled.
  2. From the Select menu, choose Select Sampled Colour.
  3. Click on the colour to be sampled.
  4. Adjust the settings in the dialog.
  5. Click Apply.

But even so, I've got the colour sampled already, regardless of how it was done. So why isn't it actually selecting the sampled colour?

1 minute ago, TheOtherNiki said:

But even so, I've got the colour sampled already, regardless of how it was done. So why isn't it actually selecting the sampled colour?

Because Select Sampled Color doesn't work that way. You must do it like the Help says, clicking the menu option and then clicking on the pixel layer to sample the color.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, TheOtherNiki said:

The color you sample with Select Sampled Color is independent of & unrelated to any of the colors set elsewhere in the UI, like in the color wells of the Colors panel. So unlike those wells, when sampling colors you have a choice of tolerances & sampling models (RGB Cube, CIELab Cube, etc.).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7