You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't save affinity files after downloading 1.10.0

I've got exactly the same issue.

Have been working on a file with no problems since upgrading to 1.10 and suddenly can't save.
If I attempt to save as a new file I get a zero sized file created.
Reopened the previous version of the file OK.
Have redone the changes and the newly updated file is OK.
Fortunately I do make regular backups but it is a bit of a concern as if it's some sort of file corruption occuring when working with files created in 1.9 then that would mean that I would have to recrete the templates from scratch in 1.10.... and if it's not a problem "caused" by working on 1.9 version files then it's likely to reoccur
The files have NOT been working on using any of the beta versions; only "proper" releases.

The afpub files come out at around 165Mb to 180Mb. I would attach one but the current versions are OK.
Is there some error log that Publisher produces that would be of help?

I have exactly the same issue and when you try to open one of the 0kb files, the message 'File type is not supported' appears, even though it is attributed .afpub to the file.  

I was importing images into a book layout when this error occurred. I had pressed the save button previously and it looked like it had saved, but then when I came to save my progress again, this error appeared and it just won't 'save' or 'save as' without generating this error. It does allow you to export as a package but the affinity publisher file generated is still 0kb in size and when opened the error again says .afpackage file type is not supported.

I am using Windows 10:

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎03/‎07/‎2021
OS build    19043.1151
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Affinity Publisher Ver 1.10.0.1127

I hope this helps to find a quick fix?

Many thanks,

John.

Memories of Old Radford.afpub Memories of Old Radford 2.afpub Memories of Old Radford.afpackage

11 minutes ago, Johners said:

I hope this helps to find a quick fix?

2 of your uploads failed, they have 0 Bytes. Apart from that, the one file I can open, Resource Manager tells me, that you placed CMYK images with an ICC RGB or Greyscale D50 profile. A few versions ago APu had problems with that. Applying the correct ICC profile to the images could be worth a try. This bug might be a regression?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thank you so much Jaochim_L, the images were already in the document so I converted them in the photo persona and it saved the document straight away, without any issues. So I think you’re right that it a regression bug.

Incidentally I upload the other files because that’s what the program generated at that point and I wasn’t sure if they’d be useful or not.

kindest regards, 

John

@Jon P I have attached a few of the images before conversion. Interestingly the act of converting them in the photo persona didn't actually convert the colour profiles, but it did allow me to save the file after selecting the images and choosing the convert ICC profile option in the photo persona. I'm converting the images individually through Affinity photo currently.

Thanks

Mums Memiors Photograph_16.tif Mums Memiors Photograph_17.tif Mums Memiors Photograph_18.tif

@Jon P Actually, thinking about it, i opened the file that i had been working on in AFPub ver 1.9 and it did allow me to save intially, i then altered the picture frame sizes to a consistent size - W50mm x H50mm chose the fill frame option from the context menu and it was then that i tried to re-save and got the error.  I'm not sure if this helps?

Kindest regards, John. 

@Jon P I am saving to a local drive. After doing the above steps I did add a few more images before trying to save. I did place a few without the picture frame tool and then converted it to a picture frame, I also duplicated the image and frame and replaced the image. I don’t think there was anything else though. I hope you find it. 

I'm using "Affinity Publisher", "Affinity Photo" und "Affinity Designer" (German versions) on a Windows 10 Desktop PC for creating a presentation. I did a large file presentation before with the 1.9 versions, which worked.  I've started an new one that already has 45 pages in "Affinity Publisher 1.9", but after updating them to 1.10 I can't save the file in "Affinity Publisher" anymore - each time I try after editing a few pages with text and images (some of them were added before, some after the update), I get the same error message. Exporting it to a PDF file works, but not saving. The images were added by Copy&Paste and then cropped and resized

Edited by kplasa

• Staff

@sandr Is that on an existing document? If you create a new document and insert the same jpeg and convert it do you see the same error?

If it's reproducible when opening the same document can you possible upload a video demonstrating it from when you open the app? Then if you could upload the document here hopefully I'll be able to reproduce it

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

18 minutes ago, Jon P said:

@sandr Is that on an existing document? If you create a new document and insert the same jpeg and convert it do you see the same error?

If it's reproducible when opening the same document can you possible upload a video demonstrating it from when you open the app? Then if you could upload the document here hopefully I'll be able to reproduce it

Hi Jon, it is on an existing file,  I will try to reproduce it with a new file..

• Staff

That sounds like it failed to save, were you able to reproduce it from scratch? If not and it's only reproducible with the file from the earlier version can you upload that file and possibly a video or the steps you take that causes the save error to appear?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Somehow the error occurs (after the update) in my document not in connection to a particular action, but after creating and / or editing several pages without saving inbetween and then trying to save. Saving after editing one page, then editing another and saving again didn't reproduce the error

Edited by kplasa

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi,

Could both of you let me know what steps you were taking before this happened? I'm trying to reproduce this error so we can get it logged.

Thanks

I went to open the file to continue to work on it and Affinity told me there was a new version available so I downloaded it and reopened the project I was working on.

After an hour or so working it it (copy, pasting, placing, changing setting, etc) I went to save and got the cannot save message, trying save as gave the same results.

Same problem. I've been working with a huge document in 1.9 and then updated 1.10 and everything worked fine. Opened a new document that I've worked on in the previous version for the first time in 1.10 and was editing and saving with no problems. Suddenly, I got the same error message. I can't save or save as under a different name. I did open a new document and was able to save it with no problem! I can share the document but would prefer to email it rather than put it on a public forum, if possible, as it's a book by an author so it's not my IP.

I got this  error too: I was using Publisher and saving small changes in a small document: a few pages of a photo book.

I was duplicating blank pages (master pages with many guides) when I got the error message.

I am  ignorant in video cards, but I tried  to change in Preferences/Performance from the default HD Graphics 530 to NVIDIA GTX950 and after change all seem to be OK. But until some solid update is published is risky for me to invest in big work. Perhaps in small steps of small files, to add them later in the book.

Data from the PC:
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.60 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎12/‎08/‎2020
OS build    19043.1151
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Edited by fernteix
More clear info and the PC data was missing

I have the exact same problem. I opened a file I started working on under 1.9, immediately tried to save it in a new version number and got the error. I can open and save an earlier version and save it normally. But I did a lot of things between the version that works and that doesn't. Mostly tweaking Text Styles, change text and adding in images. 

I can confirm the reports about the "save" problem in 1.10.

I couldn't determine a specific situation or action causing that problem. It's not reproducible, it seems to happen quite at random. It keeps happening erratically, sometimes after few minutes, sometimes after half an hour or after an hour.

My workaround for the moment is pressing <Ctrl>-<S> every few moments in order to avoid losing too much work.

At least I can continue editing the document when the error occurs, so I can copy texts I have changed meanwhile. I can also export the file to PDF.

I ran into that error when I edited a document I had been working on in Publisher 1.9. I created a new file in 1.10 and copied some text and images from the 1.9 afpub to the new 1.10 afpub. I thought this might solve the problem but it didn't.

For now I will go on with saving regularly. I hope there will be a fix soon, alternatively I'll go back to 1.9 which was working flawlessly.

(Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1110, Core i5-6600, 8 GB RAM)