You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to blur the edge of a cut out subject?

Hello,
I have a person separated from the background to put it on top of a different background layer.
e.g. a Model shot on green screen.

383433954_Image1.jpg.687b8aef3dd034ce6c1727dcb2533cf3.jpg

How can I get the Edge of the layer of the person smooth so that it will fit into the background scene?

How can I create this easily and quickly...

The blurriness should increase from the center to the edge so that it would look like a lens blur.

Any tips for making "cut out persons" to fit into the "new" environment is much appreciated. 🙂 

Thanks for helping!

Thomas

How about ctrl/cmd clicking on the person layer to make a selection and then going to Select > Outline... and adjust the width to suit then apply a Live Lens Blur filter.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

How about a blur Live Filter with defining its areas by painting on its mask? You also could use a selection of the person layer for defining the mask.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

56 minutes ago, trommlertom said:

The blurriness should increase from the center to the edge so that it would look like a lens blur.

Are you sure about that? The background is a bit out of focus as you could achieve with the lens aperture, if you blur the model it'll look weird. Why not just blur the edge?

BlurredEdge.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

22 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Are you sure about that? The background is a bit out of focus as you could achieve with the lens aperture, if you blur the model it'll look weird. Why not just blur the edge?

BlurredEdge.afphoto 1.23 MB · 1 download

Thanks!
I wanted to say that only the edge should should have encreased blur.
So exactly as you did it. Thanks!

Thomas

Try shrinking the selection then apply feathering to suit. Doing it like that will make it appear more natural.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

9 hours ago, trommlertom said:

Any tips for making "cut out persons" to fit into the "new" environment is much appreciated

9 hours ago, trommlertom said:

e.g. a Model shot on green screen.

A model shot on a green screen should have produced a better cut out to start with

Did you use any of the Refne options on the cut out?

If you upload the original green screen image you may get better advice on how to cut it out

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

If you upload the original green screen image you may get better advice on how to cut it out

@carl123 In this post he uploaded a sample afphoto file.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Because it is a hard outline with a transparent background, and we want the hard edge gone, what I did was select the transparent parts and then used a two pixel feather and deleted the selection. This gave a soft edge. Looked quite nice. 

Different sizes and different resolutions means you may want to feather only one pixel, for something small in total pixel size, or ten pixels, for something larger.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.