You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Small caps with fonts that don't have small cap glyphs?

Does APub support emulating small cap(ital)s for fonts that don't have specific small cap glyphs?

I'm using a free font that only has a basic Latin alphanumeric character set.

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

As I understand it, the buttons in the Typography section of the Character Panel do not set those features on, rather they allow those features to be used if the font caters for it.
In other words, pressing the Small Caps button will tell the software to use small caps if small caps exist in the font but, if small caps don’t exist in the font then small caps will not be forced/approximated.
I believe this is also the same for those typography features elsewhere in the applications – e.g. Text Style editing, etc.

7 hours ago, Lagarto said:

In Affinity apps Small Caps are simulated if the equivalent OpenType feature does not exist in the font (meaning that "lower case" letters will be rendered with equivalent upper case letters scaled down to lower case size).

Has it always done this? I have a (very!) vague memory of this not being supported in the early versions (like 1.4 or so) but I am not at all sure about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can't seem to make simulated caps work with this font. 😕 I've attached the font (Rye Regular).

The small caps is working for the other font I'm using in this file, and the available glyphs appear to be identical or nearly so. 

image.png

image.png

Rye-Regular.ttf

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

When I turn on ‘Small Caps’ for the Rye Regular font I get capital letters which are bigger than the standard capitals.

F963C677-260E-4466-B886-4B7E0A7557AA.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, @MikeW.

Care to let us know which settings were relevant to this?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

The metrics were messed up. 

Please educate!   … and what is the reason that the file size is smaller after your fix and that it's no OpenType any more? Was OpenType involved as a culprit?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

20 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Please educate! I tried with many fixes (with FontLab 7 and OTL, that both found many problems) but the one that does the trick is probably obvious only to someone who has created a complete font from the scratch, and learned properly the basics.

All I did was to fix the metrics. I used FC, but just did the same in FL and after regenerating the font it works properly.

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

Please educate!   … and what is the reason that the file size is smaller after your fix and that it's no OpenType any more? Was OpenType involved as a culprit?

The original is a TrueType. There are no OT Features, no kern table (either kind) and so simply exported sans those two options. I alsop regenerated the hinting, so that may have affected file size as well.

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The original is a TrueType. There are no OT Features, no kern table (either kind) and so simply exported sans those two options. I alsop regenerated the hinting, so that may have affected file size as well.

Would this mean a wrong info gets reported here by Extensis Suitcase / or the font file was initially saved in a wrong way (would a font have to to include certain features to may be saved as OpenType) / or … ?

1096808848_fontOpenTypeTTvs.TTonly.thumb.jpg.67d2e1cb8ce62b2851d868159baaedaf.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The original was likely saved/exported with either an empty gpos table and/or any other OpenType feature table. I didn't bother to inspect the file as I don't care. 

I also didn't bother to load the original font and take a look in other applications such as QXP or ID. But as they have user defined scaling for faux SCs I assumed that they would have been fine.