You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making quality GIFs (Christian Smith)

CSmith

We've used Adobe Photoshop for a long time at our Advertising Agency. We've made the switch to Affinity Suite recently. 

Adobe Photoshop was great at creating high quality small gifs of our clients logos for their online ads. Our backend system requires gifs.

I've run into an issue with Affinity Photo - it can't make the same high quality gifs as Photoshop. It loses a lot of detail. Please see the screen shot of the logo attached - Affinity Photo on the left, Adobe Photoshop on the right. 

Both at the same 200px width. Made from a high res logo. 

Any help on this would be great - thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 6.57.54 PM.png

Hello @CSmith and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried the different resampling algorithms  when scaling down to 200px? Some are better than others when dealing with such designs.

John0

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 hours ago, CSmith said:

Made from a high res logo. 

Can you upload that to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It looks fine in the app when I shrink it down to 200 px wide, so I can’t understand why so much detail is lost on export.

US-Vets.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is about the best I can get for now, (time for beer)

The first is transparent, the second had a fill layer added, the same colour as in your original post

logo4.gif

logo7.gif

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@admin@Affinity

Is there a way to open a Support Ticket on this issue? 

To get these quality gifs for our postings I'm using Photoshop instead of Affinity. It would be nice not to be bouncing around from Software to Software. We're also looking at other apps / software that can solve our problem if Affinity cannot.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @CSmith,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are aware of a couple issues that are affecting the quality of the GIF export and which are most likely causing the issues you are experiencing here. I'm adding your file to our existing report and bringing this up to the dev team again. Thank you for reporting it.

Thread moved to Photo Bugs found on MacOS section.

15 hours ago, CSmith said:

Our backend system requires gifs.

I've run into an issue with Affinity Photo - it can't make the same high quality gifs as Photoshop. It loses a lot of detail. Please see the screen shot of the logo attached - Affinity Photo on the left, Adobe Photoshop on the right. 

I used the export persona to export a gif with the width set to 200w and the resample to the highest quality.

vets.gif.0dba62dbcbac119fd320ac258a07bfaf.gif 

and with different background colour

vets1.gif.16f57ba8568069d25305ceba59d3cefe.gif

428141555_ScreenShot2021-04-12at10_46_03AM.png.fc5dfc5de6c4cdc262476c4f25702c85.png

409052687_ScreenShot2021-04-12at10_45_51AM.png.7f24982644b406b8a07afa6bed4c8b9e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.