You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Animation on Affinity Designer?

5 hours ago, Pebner said:

Any Wisdom will be appreciated. 

Searching?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Animation+on+Affinity+Designer%3F+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 hours ago, Pebner said:

Good Morning,

I am trying to Animate small 2D sprites and 3-5 sec cut scenes to import to Unity; can you not do this in Affinity yet?  Can you still not export to file type FBX?  Any Wisdom will be appreciated. 

Hi @Pebner

and welcome to the forum.

Pšenda already gave a helpful answer by providing a search link on the topic in the forum. Animation is not part of the functionality of any of the Affinity applications. And Serif have stated several times that they (currently) do not have any plans to implement this.

There are many working solutions available to create animations so my best advise I can give you is to look somewhere else.
This post and some follow ups mention a couple of video and animation softwares as a starting point:

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 10:40 AM, Pebner said:

Good Morning,

I am trying to Animate small 2D sprites and 3-5 sec cut scenes to import to Unity; can you not do this in Affinity yet?  Can you still not export to file type FBX?  Any Wisdom will be appreciated. 

Petition

I found a petition to make Affinity Animator a thing! If you sign it and maybe we can move mountains.

timeline.png

Just now, dotails said:

Petition

I found a petition to make Affinity Animator a thing! If you sign it and maybe we can move mountains.

timeline.png

How many more times are you going to cross-post?? 😠

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

37 minutes ago, Alfred said:

How many more times are you going to cross-post?? 😠

Sorry if you got my message multiple times. Ideally I wish I could just share once, but the forum is highly fragmented, so followers who would want to see this answer are on different pages. So I ran a search for those people so they could get together. They're obviously grateful since Petition has doubled in size in the last hour.

9 minutes ago, dotails said:

Sorry if you got my message multiple times. Ideally I wish I could just share once, but the forum is highly fragmented, so followers who would want to see this answer are on different pages. So I ran a search for those people so they could get together. They're obviously grateful since Petition has doubled in size in the last hour.

Seems the bar has been set very low for that petition. Looking for 100 people? Not sure any software company would even bat an eye at 100 people wanting them to develop something like this. 

I don't see any point in a third-party petition for a feature when we already have a feature request forum right here, which is the best way to get feedback to Serif. In view of the many hundreds (or probably thousands would be more appropriate) of requests for this or that feature, I really do not advise we get into a habit of starting petitions for feature requests. I suppose it doesn't really hurt anything to have a post somewhere else if that is all it is, but I really would rather not start seeing people spam the forum to go to an external source instead of having meaningful discussion right here.

That is my opinion anyway. Maybe others agree, or maybe no one else sees it that way, but I thought I would say something.

That's just showing the next goal. I've seen many hundreds of people on this site alone who want this. The challenge is getting them together so we can make waves.

15 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Seems the bar has been set very low for that petition. Looking for 100 people? Not sure any software company would even bat an eye at 100 people wanting them to develop something like this. 

4 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I don't see any point in a third-party petition for a feature when we already have a feature request forum right here, which is the best way to get feedback to Serif. In view of the many hundreds (or probably thousands would be more appropriate) of requests for this or that feature, I really do not advise we get into a habit of starting petitions for feature requests. I suppose it doesn't really hurt anything to have a post somewhere else if that is all it is, but I really would rather not start seeing people spam the forum to go to an external source instead of having meaningful discussion right here.

That is my opinion anyway. Maybe others agree, or maybe no one else sees it that way, but I thought I would say something.

Can you point me to this specific feature request? I've seen many fragmented forums for this feature, is there one page where the majority is discussing this? This is the problem I'm working around right now. 

Alfred received my message multiple times because he must be following multiple of these forums on the same topic. I guess I should private message the thousands of people you mentioned so this doesn't happen.

4 minutes ago, dotails said:

Can you point me to this specific feature request?

The fact that roughly half of the first page of the feedback forum is of posts you resurrected, I would say you have already found multiple instances of this feature request yourself. I don't deny that it is fragmented, but a third-party petition is only increasing the fragmentation. As is bringing up multiple past posts rather than picking one that seems to have had the most participation in the past and commenting on that one.

4 minutes ago, dotails said:

Alfred received my message multiple times because he must be following multiple of these forums on the same topic.

I haven’t “received” your message, I’ve simply seen it ad nauseam by viewing the Unread Content list. That aside, my earlier point still stands: @Patrick Connor has made it perfectly clear that Serif is a business, not a democracy.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

The fact that roughly half of the first page of the feedback forum is of posts you resurrected, I would say you have already found multiple instances of this feature request yourself. I don't deny that it is fragmented, but a third-party petition is only increasing the fragmentation. As is bringing up multiple past posts rather than picking one that seems to have had the most participation in the past and commenting on that one.

Interesting perspective. I'm hoping to unite them by going out and gathering them up but I'm getting exhausted today. I've been driven by desperation after trying every animation app that exists with no compatible option. From now on I'm private messaging this community so nobody tries to hurt me. ;)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I haven’t “received” your message, I’ve simply seen it ad nauseam by viewing the Unread Content list. That aside, my earlier point still stands: @Patrick Connor has made it perfectly clear that Serif is a business, not a democracy.

Ah by sorting by unread I can see how you could mistake my fast gathering of the community as spam because you just see multiple conversations as if they are one lol. That's a good point about democracy vs buisness, but having studied business, when seeking investment or fund prioritizing, market demand acts like democracy.

• Staff

@dotails

1. Serif are not going to change our company plans because a few or many many people sign a petition so stop promoting it here

2. Posting the same thing over and over is against the forum guidelines, and will not be tolerated. I have hidden most of your unnecessary duplicate posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@dotails

1. Serif are not going to change our company plans because a few or many many people sign a petition 

2. Posting the same thing over and over is against the forum guidelines, and will not be tolerated. I have hidden most of your unnecessary duplicate posts

That's ok, I would have preferred you merged the forums while you were at it.

Don't think you have scared me though because I'm not going to give up on making the world a better place.
Rather if Serif does not want to follow the market demand then the market will make it's own supply.
I'm considering a third party plugin or batch file that measures and manipulates objects each step for tweening and exports frames to be compiled into an video format.

In the last 2 days I've tried many animation apps and all fail to import fully affinity exported files.
I thought I should provide the list to save the community time.

Cavalry
Boom Toon
OpenToonz
Moho
Cacani
Adobe After Effects
Adobe XD
Spine
Krita
Synfig
Blender

• Staff
7 minutes ago, dotails said:

I'm not going to give up on making the world a better place.

Excellent, that is admirable 

7 minutes ago, dotails said:

...then the market will make it's own supply

That's fine, the market is welcome to do so. Where would we be if not for healthy competition to other software?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Excellent, that is admirable 

That's fine, the market is welcome to do so. Where would we be if not for healthy competition to other software?

I don't mean competitive software but complimentary. A software that controls affinity like a macro.