You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hard time with linked text boxes

artfuturo

Hi guys

I am new to Affinity Publisher but have used other Text and DTP programs in the past. Still, I appreciate, I may oversee something here. However, I have tried about everything that is humanly possible to figure out what is going on and still can't fix it. Thus, I believe this could be a bug.

See attached two test files. How to reproduce:

1. Open Publisher File - see issue on page 2, super small text with tiny spacing values. Even if you apply Text Style Body Text, it won't fix it. 
  2. Lets try to start from scratch again, open the Word File
  3. Copy Word text (dummy text from a Guardian article)
  4. CTRL-A and delete all text in Publisher .. so start from scratch
  5. Paste the Word text into the columns - you see the same issue again.
  6. Here, I tried to CTRL-A and apply the Text Style Body Text, no luck
  7. I experience other strange things, e.g. there was a sudden Column Break but I didn't put any there and there were no issue with Text Flow options either, or some of the column text suddenly had a very large font, or some of the text simply disappeared into a black hole as far as visibility is concerned, but was still there in the background (CTRL-A and Copy, past into Notepad, text was still complete). 

I am at my end, sorry. Any help with this would be really appreciated. 

Kind regards
Phil 

Publisher Test_v2.afpub Test Text.docx

There is formatting applied, presumably from the Word file. If you right click on the paragraph style and clear character styles it makes it much larger (11pt). The section at the top of the paragraph styles panel shows all the extra styling brought in from the Word copy & paste.

image.png.e3420d2fab958944a43fc283c58972d4.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Hi Mick

thanks for that. I did suspect that the formatting didn't come from the Word Document, but it is actually a bug in Publisher. To prove that, I exported the text from the Word file into a simple .TXT file and used the same process as above, with the same result. First page all good, second page with micro fonts. 

A Select All, apply Body Text and Clear Character Styles doesn't change anything. Interestingly, if you select some of the small text on page two and then do a Clear Character Styles, it does fix that section. However, once you have found all small bits and then you try Select All and apply Body Text across the board to be certain you didn't miss anything, it goes back to the old issue. Further, if you try to fix all those micro font sections areas bit by bit, you suddenly get this (see attached).

This is seriously buggy stuff to me!

Regards

Phil 

Scree Capturer Bug 1.PNG

Perhaps you get better results deleting the old text frames and making new ones and linking them afterwards. But be careful when resizing the text frames. To change the dimensions use one of the handles sitting on the rectangle and not the second handle bottom right (which is a bit off the rectangle). With the second one off the rectangle you resize the text frame including the content. Linking "resized" and "dimension changed" text frames can lead to unexpected results.

Attached there is an example video of how to do it wrong. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Artfuturo,

1. Open your failed Afpub file.
2. Delete the first frame box (= Text frame) completely (!!) (page 1).
3. Set up a new first frame box (page 1).
4. Copy Word text.
5. Insert Word text into the new first frame box (page 1).
6. Relink the new first frame box (page 1).
7. Delete the “super small text with tiny spacing values” in the relevant column.
8. Done!

Appendix
1. Open the attached Afpub file as a result.
2. Take a look at the Layers panel; our layers are colored (red).

Publisher Test_v3.afpub

• 5 months later...

I have been fighting the same battle-- over and over again. Is there no fix for this other than working around the problem when it shows up? I was working with a large document and this added many days of extra work. Tiny ant size font to 60+pts.. It is as if the text flow gets clogged. It is a nightmare. 

2021-02-22_15-01-49.png

2021-03-24_10-32-26.png

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...