You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Can I Replace multiple images at once?

What app are you using?

and are you trying to replace the multiple images with the same replacement image?  

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

In Publisher you can replace multiple images (if they already are all the same) via the Resource Manager. There you need to select their folder entry and replace every instance of the image. If you select only some of the images then the Replace button gets grayed out.

1431253028_replaceallofanimage.jpg.acc34478ec29a56472a18316a353d6f3.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 11 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, thomaso said:

In Publisher you can replace multiple...

In my case: That still replaces all the image instances of that file.

You can't replace only of a selection of these. This is one big serious disadvantage of this software not being node-based. (like Fusion, ToonBoom Harmony, or Houdini)

Let's say I have an artboard with 15 instances of one linked image. 
If if copy that artboard to make a variant of that artboard, or possible new version of that artboard, where that image should be replaced with a differerent image.

How can you do it, without also replacing it on the original artboard?

It doesn't seem possible. Frustrating, frankly.

7 minutes ago, OdFori said:

Let's say I have an artboard with 15 instances of one linked image. 
If if copy that artboard to make a variant of that artboard, or possible new version of that artboard, where that image should be replaced with a differerent image.

It doesn't seem possible. Frustrating, frankly.

I share the frustration of not being able to do selective batch image replacements.

8 minutes ago, OdFori said:

Delete the image, and Place a new one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, you are (always) the practical guy. A kind of caption obvious.

I understand that. but I post this to bash the company tho and try to force them to make this better, roughly speaking.

It takes thirty clicks in my stated example. Let's say I have 500 instances of the image.
The only option then is to separate it into different files, and not use artboards, etc.

Maybe I should go and do it that way as my primary workflow. But I like having different artboards. And all in one file, etc.

I am still thankful tho for Affinity. Beats the hell out of Adobe. 

19 minutes ago, OdFori said:

But I like having different artboards. And all in one file, etc.

So why not start with a "master" artboard that doesn't have the image on it. Duplicate that, and then add the image.

Yes, theoretically you shouldn't have to change your workflow. But pragmatically, you can adapt to the software or you can switch to different software. You're unlikely to get a change to the software to support your current workflow in the near term.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, OdFori said:

I just get a message that the topic doesn't exist.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, OdFori said:

I post this to bash the company tho and try to force them to make this better, roughly speaking

And it's a nice idea. I used to monthly generate a booklet-revue of 120 pages, with an index made of a table generated by scripts with icons. They were all the same, but I had to cut the table in 3 parts, use specific table styles and modify the icons according to those different parts.

Being able to sub-select some images and only replace those, ordering them by pages, was very usefull.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I just get a message that the topic doesn't exist.

As do I.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, OdFori said:
On 9/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, thomaso said:

In Publisher you can replace multiple...

In my case: That still replaces all the image instances of that file.

You can't replace only of a selection of these.

That's why I mentioned above the grayed-out button as soon more than 1 image is selected. Feels like a weird bug.

Workaround: There are limited situations where replacement of a selection of more than 1  is allowed. Though it requires APub it might help you since you talk about a copied artboard and hundreds of replacements: If the images are placed in Picture Frames then the Replace button in the context bar may be used also for selectively selected items (but not the according button in Resource Manager for any odd reason). If it would work from the Resource Manager we could also replace selected sources of different pages. – I definitely wonder why Apub is coded to require additional objects (Picture Frames) to allow this kind of replacement of these object's contents (= frame's images).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 months later...