tobnicht

relative links vs. absolute paths feature STILL MISSING!

Since about 2 years an important feature for collaborate Work is missing. Publisher urgently needs relative links! I know that this feature Request already exists several times in this forum but I think it needs a refresh! 😉

I work in a team that shares publisher files via Dropbox. As soon as an other user links an image and saves the afpub file, the next Mac user opening it has to relink the images. We found out (thanks to this forum) , that it is enough to find one image file and all other files are recognised automatically but if there are subfolders this process still takes a lot of time

PLEASE dear developers ad the possibility to choose „relative links“ like other layout programs do! 

Kontext: We as a team switched from Scribus (veeery slow, but free) and since about 10 years relative paths were no issue there.

Toby, Austria

Supposedly Publisher does support relative links, but only for the situation where you have a directory that contains:

• The .afpub file; and
  • A subdirectory containing the Linked files. (Perhaps it would also work if there were multiple subdirectories at this level, containing Linked files.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Supposedly Publisher does support relative links, but only for the situation where you have a directory that contains:

• The .afpub file; and
  • A subdirectory containing the Linked files. (Perhaps it would also work if there were multiple subdirectories at this level, containing Linked files.)

Hi Walt!

That ist the Situation but does not work:

churchpaper.afpub
> Subfolder: Pictures

if one of the team members places an new picture the next person opening the document on his computer becomes a message that ressources are missing. because the absolute path bevor the Dropbox folder is different. e.g.: User/MyMac/Dropbox/Churchpapter/July > there is the afpub file. And in the July folder is one with all the images. A new editor always has to "show" publisher one missing picture...

7 hours ago, tobnicht said:

Since about 2 years an important feature for collaborate Work is missing. Publisher urgently needs relative links! I know that this feature Request already exists several times in this forum but I think it needs a refresh! 😉

I work in a team that shares publisher files via Dropbox. As soon as an other user links an image and saves the afpub file, the next Mac user opening it has to relink the images. We found out (thanks to this forum) , that it is enough to find one image file and all other files are recognised automatically but if there are subfolders this process still takes a lot of time

PLEASE dear developers ad the possibility to choose „relative links“ like other layout programs do! 

Kontext: We as a team switched from Scribus (veeery slow, but free) and since about 10 years relative paths were no issue there.

Toby, Austria

It ain’t two years ago Affinity Publisher was released, it was last summer, mid 2019...

If we all be a little patient here, functionalities and features will certainly be added in the tempo Serif Labs can manage...

Hold in mind that almost whole Publisher team is working on the iPad version of Affinity Publisher just now!

I do not agree. Beta users suggested this feature 2018. With a reason: it is basic. 🤓

iPad Version is nice. Sure, but i think most publishing is still done on desktops. Even on my 15 inch MacBook working is a pain.

2 minutes ago, tobnicht said:

I do not agree. Beta users suggested this feature 2018. With a reason: it is basic. 🤓

iPad Version is nice. Sure, but i think most publishing is still done on desktops. Even on my 15 inch MacBook working is a pain.

Hmmm... Can’t understand then why you’re using Affinity Publisher if it is a pain??

I don’t understand some people here - we are talking about an DTP application that has one year on the market, meanwhile competitors have been around for 20-30 years, and, cost 10x or more then APub...?

2 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Hmmm... Can’t understand then why you’re using Affinity Publisher if it is a pain??

I don’t understand some people here - we are talking about an DTP application that has one year on the market, meanwhile competitors have been around for 20-30 years, and, cost 10x or more then APub...?

You got me wrong. Maybe it is my englisch. This is not my mother Language. 😂 Affinity Publisher is great! I became a huge Affinity fan the last 2 years. 

What I wanted to say: It is a pain to work on a "small" screen. That is why I can not imagine to do DTP on an iPad. Maybe I am wrong. Did not have a iPad for a long time.

Working with Scribus on an Mac causes a lot of pain. It is sloooooooow. That is why I insisted to switch to Publisher. 

Relative paths is still important. But maybe I am the only working in a Team... what is hard to imagine.

22 minutes ago, tobnicht said:

You got me wrong. Maybe it is my englisch. This is not my mother Language. 😂 Affinity Publisher is great! I became a huge Affinity fan the last 2 years. 

What I wanted to say: It is a pain to work on a "small" screen. That is why I can not imagine to do DTP on an iPad. Maybe I am wrong. Did not have a iPad for a long time.

Working with Scribus on an Mac causes a lot of pain. It is sloooooooow. That is why I insisted to switch to Publisher. 

Relative paths is still important. But maybe I am the only working in a Team... what is hard to imagine.

Ok... Thanks for clearing that out ;-)

For me, Affinity Publisher on my iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 edition will be the best thing ever to iPad!

12 hours ago, tobnicht said:

it needs a refresh!

Just attach your post to the original request (as stated in the forum rules) and it will be updated/refreshed.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.3.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.329.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.