EeeTeeCee

Yikes. Clone tool adds softens pixels?

I’ve been using Affinity Photo (current update) for iPad Pro (2020) for a few months now. I’ve been loving it. However, I may have to fully abandon it. 

I noticed today that the clone tool doesn’t duplicate the same sharpness as the original (targeted) pixels. I’m hoping I accidentally changed something in settings...but looked back on a few other recent projects, and see the same softer, blurrier clone stamps in those too. Wasted a lot of time, and now have to go back and fix these images in another app.

Please tell me I can just adjust the settings, or that it’s a quick fix on the developer end...

b256e5f6-cd4c-4d2a-ac19-877cdb6d5f4a.jpe

Sorry, but the more I’m playing with this, the more I’m finding. The softness is created once the cloned selection is moved (not resized, simply moved). I can recreate this every time.

Just reinstalled Affinity, made sure I had the latest update, etc... How has this issue not been resolved?? I’m stunned  😅

This is a beautiful app. Robust features. However, this issue is BAD and I have used free apps that don’t soften pixels when you copy/paste, use the clone tool, etc. 

Please fix!

4 minutes ago, etcetera said:

I have used free apps that don’t soften pixels when you copy/paste, use the clone tool, etc.

Affinity Photo shouldn’t paste softened pixels unless you copied a feathered selection. Similarly, cloning should work as you expect if your brush has its hardness set to 100% and ‘Wet Edges’ is set off.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.6 (iPad Air 2)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

Affinity Photo shouldn’t paste softened pixels unless you copied a feathered selection. Similarly, cloning should work as you expect if your brush has its hardness set to 100% and ‘Wet Edges’ is set off.

Hi Alfred, It appears to not be able to clone Sharply at the pixel level? I have a one pixel grid and random pattern. Select a hard basic brush and adjust size to cover the pixel patten. Set clone point in middle of patten and tap to duplicate. The copy is quite fuzzy. Maybe something to do with snapping pixels?

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 13.5.1  Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.3 .180,  Affinity Design 1.8.3.2, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

I tried to replicate what you get and I couln't replicate it. Until I enabled "Force Pressure" when Hardness is low, then I got the same result.

With "Force Pressure" disabled and Hardness set to 100 it works fine.

Window 10 - 32 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

@AlainP I'm not disputing what you say however you can see from my screen recording that in the context menu, Force Pressure is disabled and Hardness is set to 100%.  Yet the issue remains?
Perhaps it’s device dependent???

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 13.5.1  Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.8.3 .180,  Affinity Design 1.8.3.2, Publisher for iPad (21st century)

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

2 minutes ago, DM1 said:

@AlainP I'm not disputing what you say however you can see from my screen recording that in the context menu, Force Pressure is disabled and Hardness is set to 100%.  Yet the issue remains?
Perhaps it’s device dependent???

I get the same result as Dave showed in his video clip. It doesn’t seem to matter whether ‘Force Pressure’ is enabled or not.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.6 (iPad Air 2)

I just did the same tests this morning... in the beginning it was working fine. But now I also get fuzzy results.... I think it happend after I clicked on the "More" option at the bottom but did not change anything. Weird.... still testing...

I'm sorry.... I was using the beta version. Did the same tests on the release version and get the same results. The more I play with it the worst it gets, pasted parts are now bigger than the source.... I have to take a break...

Hopefully mods will comment on this strange behaviour soon. 😀

A test with 100% x 3 - obviously some anti-alias/softening going on. Photo 1.8.4, Windows 10 Professional.

cloning.afphoto

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

A test with 100% x 3 - obviously some anti-alias/softening going on. Photo 1.8.4, Windows 10 Professional.

So, it’s not just iOS version. Maybe some setting in preferences effects it. Hard to know unless mods comment.