You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I create a tri-fold brochure? The sample is not exactly helpful

Hi!

The only tri-fold example in the welcome screen leaves a lot left out, as are the YouTube videos that I have watched.

They ALL are using an older version than myself (1.83).

For instance, that sample and the videos I have seen do NOT use the same Document Setup that I have!

There is not a New Document setup in those that has the new interface about selecting A5 and the *actual size* size of the document, ...!  NONE that match the version that I have!!

It is very confusing to a newbie like myself.  Sure  I can pick the sample document apart but it does not tell me how to set up a new document that matches the example that Affinity supplies or the YouTube videos that I have studied.

I just want to make a tri-fold brochure for a friend.  The specs from the printer told me this:

page is 8.5x11inches
margins=.25 inches
Margins between columns = .5 inches
Bleed= .125 inches if you have a bleed, the red line indicates the bleed

I have the only workbooks from Affinity: Photo and Designer.

Why is there not a one for Publisher?  Is it too easy to not have one??

I have spent countless hours watching and studying the videos for Publisher on their website, and also Photo and Designer, and especially others concentrated on Publisher.

-paulw

Since Publisher is barely more than a year old and the functionality is being added to and modified quickly, it’s inevitable that the videos may show functionality which has changed since they were produced. This is just what happens when the developers are working quickly to give us new and better stuff. Because of this you may need to do things slightly differently to what the videos show but the differences shouldn’t normally be so dramatic that it’s impossible to figure out what to do.
For instance, the current Document Setup window is a lot like the old one except that it has extra stuff on the left-hand side making it easier to choose what you want.

As for the Publisher Workbook, I think we can expect to get one when it is ready, whenever that is. There’s not much we can do about that.

In the meantime it shouldn’t be too difficult to get your document up-and-running.
I don’t get my work printed so any advice I could give might not be totally correct so I will have to leave that to someone else who has more experience in that matter.
It might be useful to them if you can attach a link to the printer’s spec’ webpage so whoever helps you has the information they need directly and without interpretation.

Hi,

I don't know if you've looked at the sample from Affinity: Menu Help > Welcome

2020-04-18_104544.png.b1746b52ee4b6792eb6d4eb9de3ec24f.png

2020-04-18_104553.png.7bd06cf0efbb0ebbd8925b962feb6836.png

You can download it and look at the properties of the document and of the spread, to define your own document.

For example, there are  3 pages by spread, delimited  by guides, and the second spread show an interesting way to use the internal pages we see when it's opened, since that's the part we always see unfolded. (like a center spread in a magazine with clips, where you don't mind writing where it folds).

With this, it should be easier to set up your document. Don't forget your first page will be the one at the end of the first spread, and the last page is the second one of this spread.

And be careful with the order of the pages. Depending of the content, you'll want to put important informations on the page visible when it's folded (contact informations, a map, adds, etc.), page 4 for Z-fold or 6 for trifold.

2020-04-18_114457.png.3e138e16d95f6d47edcb9d23c8b72241.png

trifold.pdf

Hi!

Thank you both for your help!  

Good points and Wosven thank you for that diagram!  

The printer sent me what she needs for a PDF document, including bleed and margins,  but I need to look it over and see if I can relate it to what AP can do in document setup.

I do not understand how these examples I follow, whether from Affinity-Sefif, or on YouTube, automatically adjust the page setup to an older version and how the page set-up has changed so much that makes it so hard for me to learn.

-paul

The limitation to a 2-page-spread is bad. Yes, you can make pages large enough to hold 3 spreads, but then this document cannot be reused if you want to export as single pages later on. I hope we get the option for multipage spreads (2+) before Affinity 2.0 is released.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

The limitation to a 2-page-spread is bad. Yes, you can make pages large enough to hold 3 spreads, but then this document cannot be reused if you want to export as single pages later on. I hope we get the option for multipage spreads (2+) before Affinity 2.0 is released.

I do loads of stuff that needs multi page spreads, tri-fold leaflets, capacity brochures and folders, book jackets - multipage spreads is a NEED for me - yes I know it's doable with a load of workarounds and faff - it's just loads easier to do it in InDesign for the time being and I really hate having to go back to InDesign, as I love Publisher and StudioLink - also really need a printable Slug area for manual fold marks - I'm sure I've seen somewhere on the forum that they have no plans to add multipage spreads but I really hope we get it sometime in the future    

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk

You just want to do a tri-fold brochure? All you need is 2 - 11 x 8.5 pages in the document - front and back. I have attached a publisher file, it has guidelines where the folds are. Simply design knowing what the front cover is and what the inside is. If you are confused make yourself a physical dummy with a blank sheet of paper. Fold it like a tri-fold and you can clearly see where things go. I think you are really over thinking it. 2 guidelines for front, 2 for inside, design in those panels. Leave .125 bleed all the way around, keep important text and info away from fold lines and cut edge. Surprised your printer would have not given you a pdf template to place in Publisher so you can see the guide lines and what they require for this. 

tri fold brochure.afpub