You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Important thing about colors in Publisher

1237/5000

Hi,
important thing about colors in Publisher.

It is completely incomprehensible to me and very confusing.

When I select a frame with text, Rich Black is visible on the Colors (CMYK) palette. Although the text is 100% Black, as seen on the Swatches palette. I include screenshots - 1 and 2  are from Publisher.

Screenshot 3 is from Adobe InDesign. There you can see that if I select a frame with text that is 100% Black, then on the CMYK palette you can see exactly 100% Black, not Rich Black.
And this allows you to check the color.

I don't understand the logic of Affinity. After clicking on the object I should know what the color is !!! And whether it is CMYK or RGB. The palette itself should change from CMYK to RGB.

Picture no. 5. Comparison with Adobe InDesign. You can clearly see what color the object is - you can see black on the screen - but the Color palette changes and shows what the color is and what the color space is ...
We have controls.

Now you can never be sure - basically what color the object is.

Screenshot 4 - I drew a frame - what color is it? Black 100% or Rich Black?

If this thread has already been raised or you know how to better control and understand these issues, I will be grateful for the information.

Best regards to all Affinity users

1 Publisher.png

3 InDesign.png

4 Publisher.png

5 Adobe vs Publisher.jpg

1 hour ago, radek108 said:

When I select a frame with text, Rich Black is visible on the Colors (CMYK) palette. Although the text is 100% Black, as seen on the Swatches palette. I include screenshots - 1 and 2  are from Publisher.

The 100% Black in the Grays swatch is a Rich Black.

If you want a pure black (100%K) use the swatches to the right (which I've underlined in red): image.png.e433199af9e08704df27eacb06b2f514.png

Or create your own.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1004/5000

Hello,
Thank you for your reaction.

But why the 100% Black in the Grays swatch is a Rich Black?
The name itself - 100% Black - says what this color consists of.
And here for the unknown, it turns out that
100% = e.g. C-89 / M-78 / Y-62 / K-97
🙂

It's illogical - I mark 100% black in the Gray palette - which only suggests 1 color and its shades - so I should get only 1 color - black, not something from 4 colors.

Gray - for me it's black from 0 to 100%
Black - belongs to the CMYK palette.

so...

if the object is black (no matter whether from the Gray or CMYK palette), then in the CMYK palette it should show us the EXACT value of black and zero other colors!

I don't know if I explain it well, English is not my first language.

But to understand me, just see how it works in InDesign.

I have idml, 100 pages and I need to manually control every element of its color. In a way that Publisher suggests right now, it's a lot of work.

And I'm not sure what I'm doing 🙂

It would be nice if you could select an element in some color and replace all the elements in the same color with the one we indicated - in the whole document.

And the separation preview.
The cost of printing poorly prepared documents is often very high, which is why control is a serious topic.

Regards

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The 100% Black in the Grays swatch is a Rich Black.

The palette named "Greys" contains swatches defined in RGB, which you will see in a CMYK document by unlocking the mode selector in the Colours panel and then picking swatches in "Greys".

9 minutes ago, radek108 said:

It would be nice if you could select an element in some color and replace all the elements in the same color with the one we indicated - in the whole document.

For text, you can do that using Find and Replace. You can specify the current black as part of the Find options, then change the color using Replace.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, radek108 said:

Something with UX went wrong 🙂

It is a real shame that the user interface - besides the numeric values in the Colour Chooser dialog fx - doesn't provide real unmistakable hints like a tooltip or a label like 'Black (Rich Black)' and Black '(Pure CMYK Black)' or whatever makes sense.. outside the Pantone Swatches. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

In my posts, I mean pointing out to the Affinity team things that for me - as a user - are incomprehensible or bad.
The matter of color control in the production program which is Publisher is VERY important. The same applies to all tools for checking and repairing / replacing colors, styles, etc.
But I think this is the Forum to help each other and the Affinity team improve the application.
I hope that the Affinity team will once again think about the operation of the Colors palette, especially since it is very intuitive in the competitive InDesign.

Confidence and trust that there will be no errors in print files will make people more willing to switch from Adobe to Affinity.

Thanks to everyone for the hints