gewb

AP beta 526: CR3 to TIFF quick comparison

I have been testing the AP beta (build 526) CR3 to TIFF batch conversion and then comparing the result to three other program conversions:

• Luminar 4, v4.1.0 (5191)
  • Digital Photo Professional 4, v4.11.0.2
  • FastStone Image Viewer, v7.4

I ran a library of 56 CR3 files from my Canon 90D for a rough conversion timing:

• DPP - approx. 12 min.
  • Luminar 4 - approx. 13 min.
  • AP Beta 526 - approx. 7 min.
  • FastStone IV - approx 1.25 min.

Using one files as an example,these are the converted sizes:

(orig. CR3 file: 10,387KB)

• AP Beta: 190,738KB
  • DPP: 186,984KB
  • FS: 94,615KB
  • L4: 189,230KB

I viewed the tif (tiff) images in several different programs to get a feel for their general appearance prior to post processing. A couple things stood out:

• The FastStone image had the lowest overal quality especially related to finer detail and contrast.
  • The Digital Photo Professional and Luminar 4 had nearly identical appearance with the expected levels of detail, brighthness, contrast, etc. I judged the DPP image to be slightly brighter than the L4 while I preferred the blacks and mid tones of L4.
  • The Affinity Photo Beta was seriously "underexposed" and required a 50% increase in brightness or just over a +1 stop exposure compensation to achieve a similar appearaance to the DPP and L4 images. All of the AP converted had this issue.

Color rendition is a bit different in the four programs but I haven't had time to dig into that.

The attached image is a quick screen shot of the four images opened in AP beta and placed side by side. Not to be used to judge detail, etc but is a fast way to see the brightness issue in the AP conversion.

4conversions.JPG

It's pretty well known, I think, that one does not get good results from RAW files in Affinity Photo unless one Opens them individually and runs them through the Develop Persona.

Any other use (New Panorama, New Stack, New HDR Merge, New Focus Merge, New Batch Job, or File > Place) will give poor results.This is not a problem with the beta; it's standard Affinity Photo processing, and is due to the other uses not going through all the functions of the Develop Assistant. Specifically for batch jobs, you can probably create a macro based on a few of your TIFF files that would allow you to make some adjustments (possibly a Curves adjustment) to improve things, and then use that macro in your batch job to get a better result.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta

Hey gewb,

Walt is bang on the money here. Batch processing raw images will not nor should it give you the same results as taking a raw image into the Develop Persona and developing it. Again, as Walt pointed out, you can always use a macro to increase the brightness of a batch of images if you know they are all going to need a slight adjustment. 

Thanks Walt and Chris. As I staed, this was to quickly test this BETA release to see how it converts CR3 to TIFF and compare to others in the field. Too bad this hasn't been fixed but as you pointed out there are work arounds. Indeed one would need to add a separate step into the workflow.

Hello,

The Affinity Photo Beta was seriously "underexposed" and required a 50% increase in brightness or just over a +1 stop exposure compensation to achieve a similar appearaance to the DPP and L4 images.

I can confirm that. I developed about 250 raw pictures of my canon 77d in CR2 format with the beta.

Each of these images was about 40-50% darker after development. There is still a little problem.

From the 250 raw images, I also developed about 50 in AffinityPhoto 1.7.3. There was no difference after the development - as it should be