cseeman

How to crop an image on a selected layer - Affinity Photo?

How to crop an image on a selected layer - Affinity Photo v1.3.4?

It seems the Crop Tool is a global function. How would I accurately crop an image in a selected layer?

Hi cseeman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently Affinity Photo crop is document based as you discovered.

To "crop" an image in a specific layer, create a selection around the area you need to crop, press ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + I (to invert the selection - you can also go to menu Select ▹ Invert Pixel Selection) and hit delete on your keyboard.

If you need to adjust the selection before cropping, press Q to enter in Quick Mask mode, change to the Move Tool and transform the selection on canvas using the bounding box controls. Press Q again to quit Quick Mask mode.

I believe we will improve this later to enable object/layer based crops too.

Currently I think the key problem with Selection/Deletion with Object/Layer is that it's destructive. Of course things that are masked can be revealed again by removing the masks though.

I'd like to see two features in that regard (time to suggest them in the Feature Request forum):

• There should be a Non Destructive Crop

• It should have handles/points  (much as the crop tool does). That can work for both "straight lines" or on bezier and b-spline curves.
* Ideally it should have x, y point readout which might help in some cases.

...we will eventually port Affinity Designer's way back to Affinity Photo.

Looking forward to it. It's badly needed I think Thanks.

I was about to post that this didn't work for me in Affinity Photo v1.5.2, but then I realized the layer needs to be rasterized. Not immediately obvious for a lightweight user like me.

Hi pkeew,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you want to invert the selection and delete it, yes you need to rasterise the layer first. Image layers are considered object layers - they can't be edited at a pixel level, however they can be transformed (scaled, rotated etc) without losing losing quality since they retail all original image data. To convert an Image layer type to a Pixel layer type right-click the image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise.

Thanks for including those details.

BTW what I do these days is use the shape tool (rectangle, etc) and draw an object (usually a rectangle but it depends...) and use it as a mask by adding it to the layer I want to crop. It's non destructive that way.

54 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's what i suggested in post #4.

I think he means "clipping", rather than "masking" ?

As described it the Affinity video "Clipping vs Masking".

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.