The startup screen is nice, it makes the app feel less empty when you open it. It has some easily accessible templates and guides. What I'm missing though is an Open Recent list ala Blender or a more graphical one a-la Adobe (i'm perfectly fine with a blender-like one tbh but you might want to experiment some more).

Here's a quick mock-up of how I think it could work (Only showing the 6 more recent files, you'd rarely go more than that, and only 3-4 sounds like too few)

Untitled.thumb.png.3ad7cd21780d560ea46af8d444a8be14.png

Oops just realized the titles for the default screen are above, not under.

Untitled.thumb.png.7cee14b2529cdb020cd2edc9c5035af7.png

Edited by mvlad
Oops just realized the titles for the default screen are above, not under.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

13 minutes ago, mvlad said:

What I'm missing though is an Open Recent list ala Blender or a more graphical one a-la Adobe (i'm perfectly fine with a blender-like one tbh but you might want to experiment some more).

If you’re happy to do without a graphical one, there’s already an ‘Open Recent’ option on the File menu.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you’re happy to do without a graphical one, there’s already an ‘Open Recent’ option on the File menu.

I know, it's actually what I end up using right now (either close the welcome screen or disable it entirely and then going there). but it'd make for a nicer experience to add that in the welcome screen too (one click instead of three). As of now the welcome screen feels like it's only intended for first time users, not for something you'd like to see every time you open the app. I admit my perception of completeness I shared before is subjective, but having the welcome screen be an indicator of the app finishing loading up (yeah i know they're fast but still) is a very satisfying experience.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

Agreed with this. The missing "Open recent..." button is one of the biggest reasons I want to hide the splash screen.

Which is a shame, because I often prefer using the welcome screens since they offer a quick way to locate the file I'm currently working on. Not in a droplist menu.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:58 PM, m.vlad said:

I know, it's actually what I end up using right now (either close the welcome screen or disable it entirely and then going there). but it'd make for a nicer experience to add that in the welcome screen too (one click instead of three). As of now the welcome screen feels like it's only intended for first time users, not for something you'd like to see every time you open the app. I admit my perception of completeness I shared before is subjective, but having the welcome screen be an indicator of the app finishing loading up (yeah i know they're fast but still) is a very satisfying experience.

Exactly!! I've thought the same for quite a long time already, but figured I was the only one. :16_relieved: