toluschr

Running Affinity on Linux (Finally works)

I FINALLY got .NET to install!!!

Unfortunately I figured out the issue.

On Mint and some Ubuntu versions .NET will only install in a 32 bit environment.  (I'm not sure why)
Affinity Designer will not run in a 32 bit environment.

Here are the steps I used I hope it may be of help to someone
(Note this will not work, it installs a 32 bit environment)

curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks > winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
sudo cp winetricks /usr/local/bin

curl -L https://lutris.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/runners/wine/wine-lutris-vkchildwindow-4.12.1-x86_64.tar.xz > wine-lutris-vkchildwindow-4.12.1-x86_64.tar.xz
tar xf wine-lutris-vkchildwindow-4.12.1-x86_64.tar.xz

# Set the path to wine for winetricks to work correctly
export WINE="$PWD/lutris-vkchildwindow-4.12.1-x86_64/bin/wine"

alias wine=$WINE
export WINEARCH=win32 
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32

# !!! Don't install mono !!!

wine wineboot -i
winetricks dotnet35sp1

# Can take many minutes just sitting at a prompt, 
# took 5 on my pretty recent computer Rizen 7
# Will launch many .net installs

winetricks dotnet472

# Click restart, will have to do this a few times
# Ignore framework warning, click continue

winetricks win81 -q

# Install your app (or not)

I finally got it working,  I used this page to install .NET in a 64 bit environment.

Even though Affinity Designer displays it is unusable, it is not stable and crashes and the display glitches out. 

Guess i'll just need to keep my windows box a bit longer.

How to get 64 bit NET to install under wine:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/783211/cant-install-dotnet45-with-winetricks-on-ubuntu-14-04

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 23-42-25.png

For those who got it working, do drawing tablets work with sensitivity? I'm assuming they don't but I just needed to ask since Affinity is the only reason I'm not migrating to GNU/Linux.

2 hours ago, Psych said:

For those who got it working,

Has anyone gotten it working?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.852 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.852 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.850 Beta.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Has anyone gotten it working?

depends on the definition of working, but the OP of this topic did get it to a state where they could create a new document and work on it. Doesn't mean it's in a fully working state, but it's still in a state where you might be able to test pressure sensitivity.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

Really fell like the title of this thread is misleading inasmuch as a number of people have commented they thought 'working' meant 'functional'. Some statement in the first post that this is experimental and not ready for production might ameliorate the hyperbolic initial presentation

On 5/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, hazlema said:

I finally got it working,  I used this page to install .NET in a 64 bit environment.

Even though Affinity Designer displays it is unusable, it is not stable and crashes and the display glitches out. 

Guess i'll just need to keep my windows box a bit longer.

How to get 64 bit NET to install under wine:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/783211/cant-install-dotnet45-with-winetricks-on-ubuntu-14-04

Nice contribtion. Thanks.

I've been trying to run AP in linux for a long time. (I use Manjaro)

I managed to install 1.8.3 version but...

I wanted to create separate wine prefix for affinity to have possibility to install next version without damaging current one.

I used command:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks remove_mono dotnet35sp1 dotnet472

It will remove mono if it is installed and install every version between 35sp1 and 472

During the installation there were many freezes. Mostly during dotnet above 35sp1

After many attempts I've found the solution.

I opened another terminal instance and did:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wineserver -k

Then on first terminal instance I repeated the command to install dotnet. .Net installer gave me a possibility to repair broken net version.

To install Affinity I have to do

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks win7

- I can't install AP when it is set to win81

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wine <path to ap installer>
WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks win81

I didn't try to create shortcuts but with installation like above it is possible to run AP with:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wine <path to Photo.exe>

And now.

I can run AP but it crashes when I try to open images. It freezes when I try to create one.

To install dxvk I decided to go with AUR package dxvk-bin.

To install it on arch based distro you can do

yay -S dxvk-bin

Then do install it inside wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 setup_dxvk install --symlink

--symlink option is because when you update your dxvk-package then it will be updated in wineprefix

With dxvk I have black screen on Affinity Photo. When I move mouse I can see menu or something but it is unusable.

Can you tell me if version from first post is the last that can be used in linux? is it 1.6.5?

On lutris page it seems that I could run 1.7.3 version. I would like to test it. From where can I download it?

2 hours ago, 860lacov said:

On lutris page it seems that I could run 1.7.3 version. I would like to test it. From where can I download it?

https://affinity.store/update/windows/photo/1

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.852 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.852 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.850 Beta.

Ok.

I checked AP 1.7.3 and 1.8.3

In both cases before dxvk install I can run AP. I can go to menu, change settings etc. When I try to open image AP crashes.

After dxvk installation I can open AP but the window is black. When I move mouse sometimes I can see AP interface elements. When I move the AP window sometimes I can see whole AP interface but that's all I managed to achieve. What else I could do?

Ima just going to throw this in here as it seems on topic and may (when it is set up with Affinity) provide a more straightforward route to a similar result. And given the progress (or lack of) here, this may fill a gap for some people (in the not too distant perhaps)_.

Note I am not the dev and have no affiliation with the app or its development.