imamdwt

How in the world do i continue the previously made node and path?

So i made a stroke of path, and i wanted to continue the path using the pen tool, instead of continuing the path it made another unjoined path.And there's that little circle icon on the cursor. What is going on? this wasnt a problem before the update.. Oh yeah, i have to capture my screen because screenshot doesnt capture cursor. please help me.

annoying.jpeg

1155146484_ScreenShot2019-06-15at10_39_52.png.2a0054b5659239aa8786b71d063252d5.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

@firstdefence, The 'add new curve' mode must already have been enabled in the OP's screenshot -- otherwise I don't think the badge on the Pen Tool pointer would be that asterisk-in-a-circle symbol. More to the point, that mode does not add to the original curve. Instead, it starts a new, unconnected one in the same layer. When the asterisk-in-a-circle symbol appears, from what I can tell it just means the next curve will start with a node on top of the one the pointer is hovering over.

You can check this by changing to the Node Tool & clicking on that node & dragging it.

AFAIK, to continue to add nodes to an existing open curve works the same way it always has: first select one of its end nodes with the Node Tool, & then use the Pen Tool to set the next node. Using the keyboard shortcut to temporarily toggle the Pen Tool to the Node Tool (CMD on Macs, probably CTRL on Windows) makes this fairly quick & easy.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

@imamdwt It sounds like the changed behavior in AD 1.7 I reported

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

Same pen tool continue path issue with Affinity 1.7.1 here.

The only solution for now is to download a previous version of the app. Windows link:  https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/
On macOS I guess time machine would be the solution.

The caveat with downloading an earlier version however is file version incompatibility. So only new files will benefit from that.

1 hour ago, dloewen4 said:

Same pen tool continue path issue with Affinity 1.7.1 here.

You can't use the method I mentioned in the second part of this reply above? This works fine for me in 1.7.1, as long as the layer does not have merged curves.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1