You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been bringing sheet music PDFs into Publisher, and most seem to come out fine, however I've run into several recently which have errors -- notes and lines in the wrong place. It doesn't matter if I drag them into Publisher, or "place" them in Publisher, or even just open them in Publisher, the errors are always there and always the same. These PDFs primarily contain text and music fonts. I've attached one as an example.

Basic Rhythms v2 - Full Score.pdf

I don't have the fonts you used in your document to try.

BTW, does Publisher ask you to replace missing fonts?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

@Nathan Shirley

Which app did you use to produce the original notation?  Was it Finale?  Perhaps have a look at this thread.

I do see the problem when your supplied pdf is opened in APub.  Screenshot below.

Jeff

ScreenShot00556.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

No, Publisher is not reporting any missing fonts for me. I'm using Sibelius here, not Finale. I suppose Sibelius isn't embedding the fonts?

One thing that is interesting: if I print to file using "Microsoft print to PDF" instead of letting Sibelius generate the PDF on its own, the resulting PDF will be slightly different when pulled into Publisher. They will look the same in all other programs (without errors), and they'll both be messed up in Publisher, but messed up in slightly different ways. I suppose I could try a different print to PDF program, just don't have anything else installed currently.

@Nathan Shirley

I realised after posting previously that the Properties of the pdf file showed it was created in Sibelius, latest version.  :/

I also have that same version of Sibelius; I wonder if there is anything to be gained or learned if you were to post here or PM to me the actual Sib file which you used to generate the pdf, for me to open on my machine, export to pdf and "see what happens"?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 3 weeks later...

same problem here

just to point that this is important

but

In Sibelius if you "print" to PDF-Xchange the Pdf reads fine in AP

Windows 10 pro 64; HP elitebook 1050 G1; A-Designer latest; A-Publisher latest; A-Photo Latest

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (PDF with musical notes font - Maestro - does not import correctly) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers. This fix will also be made available in Designer and Photo in forthcoming 1.8.0.x beta builds

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

The latest version still shows the same PDF issues for me (ver 1.8.2.620).

On 6/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, Clavote said:

same problem here

just to point that this is important

but

In Sibelius if you "print" to PDF-Xchange the Pdf reads fine in AP

PDF Xchange does create PDFs with less issues for Publisher, but some are still present. CutePDF also improves things overall, but still shows issues in Publisher.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Incorrect import of PDF with musical font from Sibelius) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Nice, so far every PDF I've checked looks perfect. I'll post back if I find any exceptions.

Is PDF pass-through supported now? I've found a couple workarounds for PDFs being rasterized by Publisher, but none are perfect.

It looks like the strange issue of SVG files with certain dotted lines being changed in Publisher (and Designer) is still there.

Anyway this PDF fix is really great, I appreciate it.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

Is PDF pass-through supported now?

Not yet, sorry, but we appreciate the importance of this feature to many users, which will influence it's inclusion in development.

7 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

the strange issue of SVG files with certain dotted lines being changed in Publisher (and Designer) is still there.

Sorry about that.

@SPaceBar Please can you respond to this thread which seems to have been missed

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.