You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Couldn't find Line Spacing function. Is it there somewhere hiding or is the function still waiting to be present in future updates? 

Edited by Jouko
Found the answer myself (with pride!) to my second question.

• Staff

Hi Jouko,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Line Spacing (Paragraph Leading) control is located in the Paragraph panel (View ▸ Studio ▸ Paragraph). It's the second control on the first column in the Spacing section (called Paragraph Leading). You can also find it in the context toolbar after the Numbered List button (when you have one of the text tools selected: Artistic or Frame Text tool).

• 3 years later...

This doesn't work for me.

I have text that is staying spaced no matter how much I change the line spacing.

Using the Paragraph Leading in Affinity, I can't get the lines any closer than a full line, despite the lines still being far apart with room to scrunch further. (see video)

Compare that with how close Photoshop is able to push the lines together, for a more compact look. (see screenshot with beige background, from PSD)

psdLineSpacing.png

It seems you have set a Leading Override in the Character panel. Reset it to "Auto" / or select the field contents and type two round brackets ( ).
Then your Leading in the Paragraph panel will work.

1549573729_leadingoverride.thumb.jpg.a19223943435aaf58a4b948df7ab64b1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Or, alternatively, perhaps each line is a standalone paragraph, ending with a paragraph break. In Publisher, Text > Show Special Characters will let you see that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...

Once again I'm confronted with an inexplicable setup in Serif software where even text pasted from a plain text doc has *paragraph* breaks inserted after *every sentence*. I cannot find where to disable this nonsense.

image.png.1f9d448fdac09d691c037ac35ff1c3e1.png

Incredibly frustrating having to come onto forums to find a solution for such a simple thing.

Mac Mini (2018) - OS X 10.15.7 - 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB 

18 minutes ago, orangefizz said:

Once again I'm confronted with an inexplicable setup in Serif software where even text pasted from a plain text doc has *paragraph* breaks inserted after *every sentence*. I cannot find where to disable this nonsensical PITA.

You might provide a sample .txt file that will demonstrate the problem, and tell us which application you're copying it from. And which OS and Affinity app you're using,

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Text copied directly from TextEdit on a Mac—plain format. I use this for everything to strip formatting from copied text before I use it elsewhere. But Designer is putting in breaks. Even when I manually backspace and hit return, it puts the paragraph break BACK! Huh?

Sorry for the (now edited) post but I'm frustrated because I can't proceed with a project until I figure this out. OS X Catalina, Designer 1.10.6 (fixed)

Mac Mini (2018) - OS X 10.15.7 - 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB 

22 minutes ago, orangefizz said:

Even when I manually backspace and hit return, it puts the paragraph break BACK! Huh?

When you hit return that makes a new paragraph.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

...which is a modification of the user's action (I didn't ask for a paragraph break). So unless that setting is checked, the default behavior is to prohibit line breaks in favor of paragraph breaks. It's just odd.

1 minute ago, orangefizz said:

(I didn't ask for a paragraph break)

Why then did you hit return? Shift + Return will most likely give you a line break and not a paragraph (in most applications, but not all text editors)..

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, orangefizz said:

Why is this not the default??

Why should it?
The app only does what you tell it to do (well, mostly :D). There is no Telepathy plugin included, as far as I know.

So, for example, if you'd like to have a different default format or default text style for the text tool, set it up in a text frame first, then Edit > Defaults > Save.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, orangefizz said:

THIS. Why is this not the default?? oml

image.png.0a76c12c634f383483a9d6b14dfaee8e.png

Thanks for your help Walt.

You're welcome.

Still, if that's your problem then you are pasting in text that has multiple paragraphs. If you don't want multiple paragraphs then don't oir in paragraph breaks in the original.

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, orangefizz said:

...which is a modification of the user's action (I didn't ask for a paragraph break).

As @Old Bruce explained, a typed return is a paragraph break -- IOW, it starts a new paragraph.

Also, from your screenshot above, the plain text document does have a number of paragraph breaks in it -- otherwise, after each period, a new sentence would begin on the same line instead of starting a new paragraph below it.

See for instance the attached Plain text with paragraphs.txt example.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, orangefizz said:

Text copied directly from TextEdit on a Mac—plain format. I use this for everything to strip formatting from copied text before I use it elsewhere. But Designer is putting in breaks. Even when I manually backspace and hit return, it puts the paragraph break BACK! Huh?

Sorry for the (now edited) post but I'm frustrated because I can't proceed with a project until I figure this out. OS X Catalina, Designer 1.10.6 (fixed)

Plain format can store breaks. Depending on the program, you may be able to turn on a setting to see them.

I typed this in Notepad in Windows and saved as a .txt. I merely hit Enter for each line (including blanks). Reopened in Word and turned on paragraph breaks in settings so I could see where they were. As you can see, it creates breaks:

image.png.a837172f611fee8f7bb21050e6844799.png

image.png.f10c489d8750b1e725c997aa85714f77.png