You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the paint brush tool???

I'm done,

I' have really tried to learn this program, but every tutorial I watch, it seems has a different program called Affinity Photo, with different tools in different places, that or the tutorial won't tell you where they find the tools in the program.

I don't have a Paint Brush Tool or an Eye Dropper tool in my Affinity program, have I some outdated version, is there a trick, am I missing something? , are there others out there who feel like they've been robbed of hours of their time?

Why would you go through all of the trouble of building this program, that is in competition with photoshop etc. then not teach people how to use it properly?

It would be very useful to tell us which Affinity App you do have, it prevents people making assumptions and will help us focus our replies.

I will assume you are talking about Affinity Designer (This has a blue icon)
26368229_ScreenShot.png.653a8ade05d217b5d52f45078ec4f7b0.png

In Affinity Designer you have Persona's, a Draw Persona where you can create Vector Graphics, Draw Persona has a Vector Brush, a Pencil and you can use a Pen to create paths.
177611378_ScreenShot2.png.45967bde45a60677248bf73d15bd091f.png

You also have a Pixel Persona where you can draw and paint in pixels, this is where you will find the brushes I think you are looking for.
268089017_ScreenShot1.png.74aa42d9346f029fdefae1f42fd31646.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, kurtographer said:

I don't have a Paint Brush Tool or an Eye Dropper tool in my Affinity program, have I some outdated version, is there a trick, am I missing something? , are there others out there who feel like they've been robbed of hours of their time?

As you mention Affinity Photo  I will assume you are talking about Affinity Photo 

The current version is 1.6.5 (ish). I don't know if you have a Mac or PC.

tools.jpg.c2088e8aa8149aa3ae2df5bb51ee6e0b.jpg

Note that the Paint Brush tool is in a group

group.jpg.6c0dbb9328f447ab11917243b168c122.jpg

and the three brushes in the group are 'sticky' which means the last tool you used is the one that is on display on the Tools panel. 

So, either the Colour Replacement Brush Tool or the Pixel Tool may be showing which effectively hides the Paint Brush Tool until you open the group.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

If the icon is a pink/purple colour you have Affinity Photo, in which case the Brush Tool can be found... You can also select the Brush Tool by pressing B
1415903811_ScreenShot3.png.a6f13eeabc6adea9d98d8197f14c5c29.png

There is also a small grey triangle bottom right of the icon, clicking this will get you this
272333337_ScreenShot4.png.4baded6b1de6ddcba3dafb6db64f6bde.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I was on my way Toltec lol!

Kurtographer might also want to spend some time watching these video's to get a better grounding.

3 hours ago, kurtographer said:

I'm done,

I' have really tried to learn this program, but every tutorial I watch, it seems has a different program called Affinity Photo, with different tools in different places, that or the tutorial won't tell you where they find the tools in the program.

Why would you go through all of the trouble of building this program, that is in competition with photoshop etc. then not teach people how to use it properly?

Here's the Tutorials forum section:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/9-tutorials-serif-and-customer-created-tutorials/

And our creative site (again, linked to via posts on this forum):

https://affinityspotlight.com/

And here's some search results from typing "Affinity Tutorials" into Google:

http://www.jamesritson.co.uk/tutorials.html

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/video-tutorials/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjid7bdTvMw1KvKtJZ0O0Kg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6wX4Z3FIGUhyVbtCCwd4FA

https://affinitytutorials.de/

https://www.frankentoon.com/

https://design.tutsplus.com/categories/affinity-designer

https://design.tutsplus.com/categories/affinity-photo

16 hours ago, kurtographer said:

I don't have a Paint Brush Tool or an Eye Dropper tool in my Affinity program, have I some outdated version, is there a trick, am I missing something?

The trick you are missing, if you want to call it that, is that there are currently four different Affinity apps, plus a prerelease beta of a fifth one. They are:

1. Affinity Photo for Mac & Windows, two different apps with very similar features.
2. Affinity Photo for Apple iPads, with a somewhat different feature set from the Mac & Windows versions of the same name.
3. Affinity Designer for Mac & Windows, two different apps with very similar features.
4. Affinity Designer for Apple iPads, also with a somewhat different feature set from the Mac & Windows versions of the same name.
5. Affinity Publisher, the beta for Mac & Windows, two different apps with very similar features.

So when you say "this program" we really have no way of knowing which one you mean.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, toltec said:

As you mention Affinity Photo  I will assume you are talking about Affinity Photo 

I don’t think that’s a safe assumption! The OP says:

17 hours ago, kurtographer said:

every tutorial I watch, it seems has a different program called Affinity Photo

So if Affinity Photo is “a different program”, I’m inclined to think the OP is likely to be using Affinity Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t think that’s a safe assumption! The OP says:

Could be, ‘assume’ is a word of two syllables and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been more ‘ass’ than ’ume’ 9_9

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...

Guys, I'm using Affinity Photo, and my paint brush tool literally disappeared from the toolbar!

Command B does nothing. I have no paint brush anymore!

Basically, I have the paint mixer tool (a brush with a swirl under it), and right under it is the Eraser tool!  There is no brush tool. I'm in the default persona.

I'm using 1.8.6 on MacOS.

Any help is appreciated - this is so frustrating!  I've attached a photo of my toolbar.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.30.22 AM.png

278530867_ScreenShot2021-05-09at8_46_08AM.png.423c11c792cc179ab1b3a19751d47258.png

You can also go to View > Customize tools... to set up a standalone Brush tool.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, jdiamondAffinityPhoto said:

I'm using 1.8.6 on MacOS.

Any particular reason you haven't you updated to the 1.9.x version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

OK, it was a bit of a hassle because I had to create yet another Affinity account, but I download the App Store version (1.9.3) and ... My brush tool icon is STILL missing! :( How is something like this even possible?

BUT - I pulled up "customize tools", and THERE WAS THE BRUSH TOOL, so I dragged it back to my toolbar!

(I hadn't realized there was a customize toolbar pane.)

So perhaps I somehow did a key stroke that removed a tool from my toolbar, kind of like on a Mac if you hold down command you can move things out of tool bars?

I'm so glad to have it back.  Affinity Photo with no painting ability loses so much.

48 minutes ago, jdiamondAffinityPhoto said:

So perhaps I somehow did a key stroke that removed a tool from my toolbar ...

There is no key stroke that does that. Most likely you just did not notice the small triangle next to the Pixel Tool (like was shown here) indicating that in the default layout the Pixel, Paint Brush, & Color Replacement Brush tools share the same spot on the Tools panel.

BTW, the Tools panel & the toolbar are two different things.

Affinity Photo