You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Adobe Photoshop Feeling the Heat?

I've no idea where to post this, but this seems like the best place after my search.

I found it amazing to watch a Photoshop CC 2019 'new' features video - Errr ... don't we have most of these in Affinity already?

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. :)

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

32 minutes ago, Martigny said:

don't we have most of these in Affinity already?

Well we do but ... a bit of reorganization and revamp of the actual UI is not bad and even when you look at the way they have (Adobe) improved their whole menu system it just makes it kind happy temptation even for us who already have those features, well i personally liked the way Affinity UI for iPad is made and the way it's reacting; so i asked if Serif could make something that similar to that or even better for the Desktop version but many unsure answers came and things stopped there.

The day Serif will introduce dynamic menu (like they did with iPad version) which is more actual way of using a software... that day they will earn a GREAT VICTORY.

Edited by Arnaud Mez

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

11 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

The day Serif will introduce dynamic menu (like they did with iPad version) which is more actual way of using a software... that day they will earn a GREAT VICTORY 

I think they are not far short of that now.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

1 minute ago, GRH said:

I think they are not far short of that now.

Wait and see, many here where about to leave the boat or simply pack their bag and go back to their old wife because they expected too much and far above what Serif they would do ... i strongly advice you to expect but make the best with and of what you already have available because in the same time patent kills

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, GRH said:

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. :)

I told my wife that but she still wanted the dress back lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 10/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, firstdefence said:

I told my wife that but she still wanted the dress back lol!

Best to buy your own then - but make sure it's not one she has got already :)

It seems PS now features things, which are in AP an old Hood, like blend-modes in realtime, tranform....

On the other hand AP is missing lot PS -stuff (better handling for brushes, presets.... and some other efficiency/workflow things...). And the PS-UI locks much more clear (dividers/areas or current select /active state... is much faster readable)...

So its just competition of the best ideas an already implement things... Booth has its own "unique" features and will influence each other!

From this video:

- The home-screen, also some USER templates

- The lock workspace is not useful, better would be save and recall different workspaces for different jobs...

- The select subject is really, really amazing

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

On 10/18/2018 at 11:34 AM, Polygonius said:

- The lock workspace is not useful, better would be save and recall different workspaces for different jobs...

I totally agree with you about the lock workspace and recalling favourites for them.

The 'select subject' is great too - it's way too difficult to know if any photograph is original these days.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

IMO, they keep an eye on AP. Whether they fear what Affinity can turn into (very personal opinion: yep, it's a danger for them), or fear that there has been quite a lot of buzz around Affinity, and after all, the main thing is where the masses go (unrelated to the actual quality/capability/range of covered fields), and most likely, they fear that their model is far from attractive/popular (forced renting, pricing, etc), and so, anything with wide enough scope, can do real damage, due to even just this reason.

I do see too many coincidences, for a while. In cc 2018, it only grabbed my attention that the stabilizer feature for the brush was just some months before added in AP and AD when it got added those months later in PS 2018, when has been requested -I can tell- for years and years for PS, as Painter did had that since a very, very long time ago (so, technologically possible since very long. Since not so long, things like SAI, Manga Studio did have those. But none were actual threats due to its paint-only scope....AP is very different.). But now... check those features in several videos and articles... In every comparison/review article talking about AP, from independent reviewers, they seem to give props AP  for: HDR panorama, and its kind of content aware feature ( among other things, but those typically get high compliments)... Casually... the two have now received a huge push, in PS, in this cc 2019.

Other features that brought my attention seem mostly to be inspired in Clip Studio Paint (the old Manga Studio, still the name in Japan), like the multiple symmetry or mirroring by hardware, not full canvas mirror, to check faster the portrait mirrored as you draw, as the brain catches errors way faster so.... This was so in SAI (a japanese painting tool), and CSP since long... and like symmetry, a feature not only in SAI and CSP, they're typical in many other digital painting software applications. So, I'm also deducing Adobe has a stronger interest now in giving PS more digital painting and drawing focus, which, can be only good for a bunch of us painters, as they kindda push the standards for everyone else (and they must be seeing increased certain niches, as is very rare that they'd put effort in sth not bringing good numbers...Wouldn't be their style, if not... ) . 

And even more relevant, releasing PS on the iPad ( a bit after the huge impact of AD and AP in the ipad...while they have been systematically making less than toys ( I mean PS "tablet versions", total jokes)  for the tablets, never caring a bit...I remember this habit of them since I had that arcane iPad 1...! ), I'm almost completely sure that's a reaction mostly to AP. BUT... don't forget there's also Procreate (but that one is heavily for illustration, is lacking a lot of image editing feats, on purpose) but there's another one (don't remember now the name, a new one, which is a mix of PS, even similar UI, and what procreate does. That one is gonna be a huge rival ( also to procreate!, is already....), but mostly in the iPad, IMO not really in the desktop) . I mean, they surely have Affinity in mind the most, but could be seeing too many rivals already in the iPad. Kinda a multiple threat, with AP/AD on top.

Probably they might fear as well that a lot of the young people might go this path : Knowing AP/AD in the tablet, then wanting to have them in the desktop to, and learn there, do everything in an AP/AD UI and ways of doing, knowing they have that for just some bucks, not anymore in Adobe software, which was the only considered path in every human brain, for decades. IMO, they probably don't see it as a huge threat,  but yep a front that might be making them loose sales, already ( I believe it is happening, indeed.) I think anyway, they take Affinity more serious than a lot of pro users (because in that company, they're probably seeing the big picture, like only some of us...). And I doubt that large giant wouldn't have amazing analysts and people studying deeply any market movement.. they know better than most of us, I'm sure... ( if you check how huge that business is turning too, and will grow exponentially, for some recent news (market related, very big money stuff, not simple features and stuff)... you know that they really must have a lot of things quite tied...and yet tho, IMO, clearly are worrying about Affinity... !  :o )

All in all, they wont be surpassed by anyone (not Affinity, not Corel, neither Xara...)  anytime soon, imo, and maybe, never, that's how large is the chunk of market they have and how inserted is Adobe specific workflows inside the companies in the world. Is almost an impossible task to achieve. But they can suffer a big impact in sales ( ie, they can loose a huge chunk in independent pros, indies, small businesses and hobbyists..Those come first, usually, then slowly, got into larger companies... history often writes itself so...), I'm sure of that, too. And with enough time...people disliking that recurring heavy bill (specially those needing PS+AI+ID and seeing with good eyes using AP+AD+APub) , and also, seeing how some friends start telling that Affinity improved in this or that, added that pending feature, fixed that bug.... I call it erosion. And time paying a constant big bill does the rest.... :D  . And yeah, it could end up happening (not surpass Adobe, but yep becoming A. quite a rival, a more than fine choice for any company, and this becoming vox populi), IMO, but might take a while. Things change often drastically in long term.... We'll see.  ;) . For a lot of us who can adapt to things easily, it's happening already... !  :) :77_alien:B|

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:34 AM, Polygonius said:

It seems PS now features things, which are in AP an old Hood, like blend-modes in realtime, tranform....

On the other hand AP is missing lot PS -stuff (better handling for brushes, presets.... and some other efficiency/workflow things...). And the PS-UI locks much more clear (dividers/areas or current select /active state... is much faster readable)...

So its just competition of the best ideas an already implement things... Booth has its own "unique" features and will influence each other!

From this video:

- The home-screen, also some USER templates

Yes, Yes, Yes. Currently I have a subscription to the complete CC suite until AP, Resolve and Fusion catches up.

To be fair though, each side has things the other side does not have or make easier. I end up switching between the two (PS and AP) every so often. and Premier and Resolve for videos.

Ugh. I can't wait for the day where I can drop the complete CC Suite (on Windows) :(

I'm keeping things simple. AD and AP do all I need, but Publisher has a way to go. There's a bit of work needed in Publisher so that it's better tuned into what authors want and less for brochures, but I'm sure they'll get there soon enough - top on my priority list are inline graphics and anchored objects. Without those it's difficult to format my books correctly and I'll have to stick to older software like InDesign and PagePlus.

Competition is good - they then all have to keep the consumer in mind.