gordo

Master pages are not applied

If, for example, I have a one page document then create a master page. If I create a new page after the first and select the option to apply the master page - the master page is not applied to the new page.

Is it a facing pages document? There's some weird things going on with master page display in the new build. Just tried it and if you create a new facing pages document with just one (right page) then add a master page it creates right and left masters, but only the left master has a white page background. So if you naturally add page items to the left master page, as it's visible, that won't affect your right non-master page. If you add more non-master pages, then the masters swap; and the left background disappears and the right appears!

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 22.16.27.png

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS 10.14.5 Mojave
Affinity Designer : 1.7.3  Affinity Photo: 1.7.3,   Affinity Publisher: 1.7.3

I believe that this is a known issue, where margins are not carried over from masters to pages.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

2 hours ago, iaing said:

Is it a facing pages document? There's some weird things going on with master page display in the new build. Just tried it and if you create a new facing pages document with just one (right page) then add a master page it creates right and left masters, but only the left master has a white page background.

Do you have View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas toggled on? When I have it on I have the same problem, except I lose the Left page and can see the Right page.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

30 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I believe that this is a known issue, where margins are not carried over from masters to pages.

Except that Wim Daniels says it doesn't happen to him.

55 minutes ago, gordo said:

Well it does happen to me.  Mac, with Sierra.  If you create facing document pages and set margins, and then create master pages for the same document, setting different margins, they will not apply to the document pages.   I have tried dragging  the master page spread  thumbnail over a document spread.  Nothing. I have tried using the dialog boxes Apply Master Pages.  Nothing.  The only way this seems to work is to delete all document pages, set the master pages, then add document pages to the project.  I haven’t tried doing all that and then changing the margins on the master pages to see if they change on the document pages, but spent a fruitless hour today struggling with this.

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.3, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3. 

Magic mouse.9_9

8 hours ago, gordo said:

At the time when Wim replied there had been no mention of margins. 

There are several other threads reporting the same issue, for example... 

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

There seems to be an issue with margins regarding master pages indeed.

But it is only the margins that are not being applied to the pages. Any objects on the master page with different margins are copied as they should.

In a way there is logic behind it: any objects on a page should remain untouched by applying a master page. Only master page objects should be removed when applying another master page. When a page is first created it 'inherits' the margins from the document settings. So applying the master page does not change that: the margins are part of the page, they're not from a master page. From a user perspective one expects the margins of the master page to overrule those of the page.

So yes, it is a bug. And I have it too!

I can't even get master pages to show up. I have a document with 20 facing pages. When I try to create a master with facing pages, I think it is just adding regular pages to the document because the master pages box is literally empty. I'm not seeing margins on my pages even though I set them in the master page creation process. I'll try deleting all pages and then setting up masters. 

Macbook Air (2013 build) w/ Sierra

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 11.37.28 AM.png

I was just checking to see if this was still happening and crashed. I got the Master to appear and then it crashed. Anyone want the report?

Affinity Publisher Beta_2018-09-22-091445_Bruces-MacBook.crash.zip

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x