• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

make a version for linux?

We would only make a Linux version if we were confident we would recoup the $500,000 it would cost us to build it.

It seems to me that there is a separate, and possibly larger issue here. The fact that this is apparently a small company, with a dedicated but limited staff, working very hard to get two high quality

7 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Err, you can go to Statcounter and get the figures based on 3 million web sites. We are talking about desktop apps here, so if Linux users aren't using a browser in this day and age, what are they using their desktops for?

Statcounter isn't reliable since adblockers and agent spoofers are a thing. and even then, an overall market share does not denote the market share for a design app.

12 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Aren't these Steam apps?

They are on steam, that doesn't make them steam apps.

14 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That is entirely untrue. A few years ago I had a commercial Linux app which would only run on RedHat. No amount of trickery could get it to run on Debian or Fedora or even Oracle Linux. I have over 20 years experience with UNIX and Linux, I know quite a few tricks. I was stumped. Deep down there was something different which the installer was looking for.

That sounds like a problem with that specific app rather than with the ecosystem as a whole. I don't blame the entire windows os family for not being able to run a specific game or app.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer
Just now, m.vlad said:

Statcounter isn't reliable since adblockers and agent spoofers are a thing. and even then, an overall market share does not denote the market share for a design app.

That statement is also true for Windows and Mac. Get over it: Linux on the desktop is about 1% of market share.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That statement is also true for Windows and Mac. Get over it: Linux on the desktop is about 1% of market share.

Yes, which is why I said statcounter as a whole and not just linux' stats on statcounter. Plus I'd wager design people are slightly more tech literate on average than the average consumer, so the chances of designers using ad blockers are higher than non designer people, but I don't have any stats for this.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer
7 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

NetApp Data Fabric Manager.

From what I can find, it's looks like a program that's geared more towards general Linux usage than a specific OS. It might've been a problem back when, but things are more than likely better today.