You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Maybe you could show a screenshot of what you intend to have happen?

Have you tried Action: Smooth Curve?

5af49fcc9be21_ScreenShot2018-05-10at20_38_08.png.fc0d92c72bfd7ce149a9c1f8a248f80d.png

There's nothing in Affinity Designer that will emulate the illustrator smooth tool, personally I can't think of a reason to use the smooth tool that you couldn't do better by editing the nodes on a path.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

As firstdefence mentioned, there AD doesn't have a smooth tool a'la AI.But if you use the stabilizer function of the pencil tool, that does something similar to what AI does to constrain lines as they are drawn. The node smooth function sometimes does simplify and make more gradual curves. But it won't turn a sloppy square into a circle.

If you are trying to smooth something with sharp corners, like letter shapes,the corner tool is the simplest way to form arcs.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 hours ago, gdenby said:

As firstdefence mentioned, there AD doesn't have a smooth tool a'la AI.But if you use the stabilizer function of the pencil tool, that does something similar to what AI does to constrain lines as they are drawn. The node smooth function sometimes does simplify and make more gradual curves. But it won't turn a sloppy square into a circle.

If you are trying to smooth something with sharp corners, like letter shapes,the corner tool is the simplest way to form arcs.

To add to gdenby's advice, there is no substitute for a solid foundation in manipulating Nodes on a created path. Understanding how the different nodes work and what they do when manipulated with handles is a core vector skill, learn that and you won't go far wrong. Learning the keyboard shortcuts will absolutely speed the creation of shapes and paths. knowing how to 'fix' a path or shape with nodes will get you much better results than something like the Illustrator Smooth tool, to my mind its not really that effective at getting good results.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2018 at 1:43 AM, gdenby said:

Yes I use the stabilizer tool, but my needs it's to smooth the path removing some useless nodes... like in illustrator smooth pencil or smooth path command from menu.
Any easy similar command, than use the remove nodes tool?
Thanks.

Edited by Federico M.

5 hours ago, Federico M. said:

Yes I use the stabilizer tool, but my needs it's to smooth the path removing some useless nodes... like in illustrator smooth pencil or smooth path command from menu.

Exactly. Also a great tool when adjusting and cleaning up a vector traced image fx. Or when you are not satisfied with your work when zoomed out a little.

What I would also like is the opposite - a roughen tool to make edges less artificial and more organic. Discreet or intense. 

In short: No workaround Hell, please.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, firstdefence said:

Maybe you could show a screenshot of what you intend to have happen?

Have you tried Action: Smooth Curve?

5af49fcc9be21_ScreenShot2018-05-10at20_38_08.png.fc0d92c72bfd7ce149a9c1f8a248f80d.png

There's nothing in Affinity Designer that will emulate the illustrator smooth tool, personally I can't think of a reason to use the smooth tool that you couldn't do better by editing the nodes on a path.

But in Illustrator, all you have to do to smooth is draw directly on the path-no "nodes" to push or pull, I personally like that way much better, you have control over your path strokes, and the amount of smoothing you can do.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:41 PM, Lokitoo said:

But in Illustrator, all you have to do to smooth is draw directly on the path-no "nodes" to push or pull, I personally like that way much better, you have control over your path strokes, and the amount of smoothing you can do.

Yes I saw it... but doesn't work properly... make little smooth at random.

Found that tool....but it draws a line over my existing line to smooth-being new to this, I am probably doing something wrong...will work with it.  My pencil lines are pretty un-uniform too, lots of wiggle in them.  I prefer the pencil tool over the pen tool for more intricate lines.

Thx

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a way to smooth lines in Designer 2. I traced these lines with the pencil tool on an iPad and then went to edit it on a computer, but it isn't smooth enough. Is there a way to smooth it or do I need to re-trace it with the pen tool (which takes longer than the pencil)? I already ran "Smooth Curve" on it.

image.thumb.png.785d4816d54d69d5d7a68fb1b8e01cf8.png

Hi @bp6 and welcome to the forum.

You might get a better result if you reduce the number of nodes.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

10 hours ago, Komatös said:

reduce the number of nodes

20 minutes ago, bp6 said:

Thanks, is there a fast way to do that I do I have to go through all the nodes in the drawing manually?

You can marquee-select multiple nodes and then press the Delete key on your keyboard to delete the selected nodes in a single operation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If anyone else is looking for a solution, the pencil tool with the stabilizer worked for me. I trace the drawings quickly on an iPad and then transfer them to my laptop to tidy up the paths.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:00 AM, bp6 said:

If anyone else is looking for a solution, the pencil tool with the stabilizer worked for me. I trace the drawings quickly on an iPad and then transfer them to my laptop to tidy up the paths.

What path tidying can you do on your laptop that you can’t do (or can’t do as easily) on an iPad? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)