chris_homer

Achieve Ripple effect similar to photoshop

13 posts in this topic

Hello All,

New user here struggling with the conversion from Photoshop to Affinity Photo.

I work for an architectural practice and use Photoshop to soften the export from our CAD software when preparing site layouts. This is achieved by using the a 50% ripple filter to make it look a little more "hand drawn". I've attached the base image before and after applying the effect in Photoshop and an example of the final image.

Is this effect achievable in Affinity and any thoughts and comments welcomed?

Cheers

Chris

Photoshop Image.jpg

Final Image.jpg

Original Image.jpg

There is a ripple filter in Affinity Photo under Filters > Distort > Ripple but it acts like ripples in a pond.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.4 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Thanks for the response firstdefence,

I've attached an image of the Affinity ripple and it produces a different effect - more akin to a ripple in water than a ripple of the individual lines.

Cheers

Chris

Affinity Image.jpg

I've always liked Sketchup for the line styles that can be achieved with these sort of drawings. Would be nice if Affinity had a feature like that built in. You could always create some pencil styled brushes and use them as strokes or just buy some and get that authentic sketched look. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.4 - Dell Inspiron 17 5767 i7 Laptop Windows 10 - Illustrator CC, Affinity Designer/Photo, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... 5 pages on LaunchPad - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

37 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I've always liked Sketchup for the line styles that can be achieved with these sort of drawings. Would be nice if Affinity had a feature like that built in. You could always create some pencil styled brushes and use them as strokes or just buy some and get that authentic sketched look. 

That's why I'm surprised it isn't a native feature in Affinity, given how simple it is in PS! 

Use the following settings in the Equations Filter

The last number (0.005) controls the strength of the Ripples, you only need very small changes

You could easily create a macro for this and change the 0.005 into variable "A" to give controllable (via a slider) ripple effects for different sized documents

ripples.jpg

John Rostron, GabrielM and Alfred like this

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

That looks ideal - cheers carl123.

Would it be possible to convert the 200 in both equations into another slider? That way the two sliders could control both the length and strength of the effect.

Cheers

Chris

9 minutes ago, chris_homer said:

Would it be possible to convert the 200 in both equations into another slider?

See attached, the 200 has been increased to 400 and is controlled by the B slider

at 50% in the slider it will be 200

slider3.jpg

John Rostron and Alfred like this

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

With all due respect to @carl123's equations..... seriously, it's amazing what he does with them (I wouldn't know where to begin).

A) The point of the wiggles is to humanize the drawing right? To "warm it up" from sterile straight lines.

With that in mind I find (imho) the equation squiggles to be too ordered and regular. The diagonals look okay because you get cross pollination from both equations which delivers a nice randomization.

B) Equations are destructive. So it goes without saying, with any change to the drawing the whole thing will need to be re-equationed ;). Like you said, a macro can help.

Instead, I'd just use a noisy displacement. (use the load from file option)

5ad4d8496a9f5_ScreenShot2018-04-16at12_56_26PM.thumb.png.b466684b4b7ac659c833a70ac8c42735.png

You can make your own (my layer on top in the attached).

Or grab one of the hundreds online. (Google: "noise displacement map" or "noise bump map")

I threw in several different options.

You can adjust each or combine different ones all while preserving the editability of the drawing (I assume the cad files come in as vectors).

**attached is kinda big**

arch_lines_displace.afphoto

Alfred and carl123 like this

22 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Instead, I'd just use a noisy displacement. (use the load from file option)

23 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

You can make your own (my layer on top in the attached).

Or grab one of the thousands online. I threw in several different options.

You can adjust each or combine different ones all while preserving the editability of the drawing (I assume the cad files come in as vectors).

I am quite happy with the Equations Filters. You could give @carl123's equations a pseudo-random appearance by adding another sine curve with a longer wavelength that is not a simple multiple of the existing one.

What I could not do is add a noisy displacement. I tried looking for one, but was only offered electronic equiplmemt. Is it some form of displacement mapping?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.4 and Designer 1.6.4, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

47 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What I could not do is add a noisy displacement. I tried looking for one, but was only offered electronic equiplmemt. Is it some form of displacement mapping?

John

Hi John, yeah, sorry, the word "map" helps xD. (I'll amend my post above)

Google:

noise displacement map

or

noise bump map

or (maybe to a slightly lesser extent)

noise height map

Each result should lead to, in many cases, a site that offers even more.

John Rostron likes this

@JimmyJack - You sir are a genius!

This is an ideal set up as the base design changes virtually every day and to have a displacement map avoids the destructive operation.

JimmyJack likes this