You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

36 minutes ago, wonderings said:

The numbers are so small for people voting, especially when you get 3 votes. So all the votes for Affinity could really be 3x less if people are doing what they say and voting 3 times for the same thing. Not a huge number of eager people, or it just has not reached all that many people who care. Judging by the amount of threads and posts in the numerous Linux discussions on this form I would have expected it to sky rocket to number 1 in a day at least. 

There are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to be able to vote on the WINE page, hence why even the most popular apps on the site have fairly low numbers.

If you want a better example of how big the WINE scene actually is, it's better to hit up ProtonDB.

13 hours ago, Predrag said:

I do not understand.  

Macos is an axis based on the unix bsd platform.  

What's the problem with doing the linux version?

I asked that and I think the basic answer is choice of UI toolkit, i.e. it's not based on a cross platform one, and also the varied graphics card support.

In contrast look at Corel's AfterShot, based on the cross platform Bibble it supports Linux, macOS and even Windows! 🙂 and generally has no issues with graphics card support.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, ernorubbik said:

Well,

we do not ask for a full native linux version, but some kind cooperation with WINE/codeweavers folks to help making affinity work under wine.

This would be a much lower ressource investment than building a full blown linux version, i'd expect?

as a dev studio, our machines run ubuntu and we need decent graphic software

If your dev studio needs decent graphic software what are they doing now? If decent graphic software was needed I would think it would make more sense to buy the computer that works with the software needed not a computer for an OS that the software needed to do the job does not work on.

40 minutes ago, wonderings said:

buy the computer that works with the software needed, not a computer for an OS that the software needed to do the job does not work on.

You're describing the current status quo. All the people in this topic do not like the status quo and are looking for ways to use their preferred OS.

If you want to understand the rationale here, try to empathize with the following: Many development tool chains are easier to use on Linux. For a long time tools like Docker didn't even work on Windows or OSX. Many developers left Windows for Linux, and in an attempt to keep these users in the Windows ecosystem, Microsoft invested $7.5 billion in Github, Mono, VS Code for Linux, WSL, WSL2, Linux kernel support etc, but it's still just not as nice as developing on Linux.

Perhaps big studios can have multiple dedicated computers with fulltime employees on them. But an Indie developer working from the living room dinner table does not want to buy two computers. They just want to do development and design on one computer, on one operating system. They often spend 80% of their time developing and 20% of their time in design, so Linux/development wins over Windows/design.

So they did buy a computer that works with 80% of the software needed. This topic is about the other 20%, more specifically Affinity Design and Affinity Photo. 

If it was the other way around, and 80% of their time was design, they might prefer a Windows computer in stead, but with this much usage, they would probably be justified in purchasing the expensive monthly Adobe CC subscription in stead of the more affordable Affinity suite.

Affinity is a more interesting indie developer option than Adobe. And Linux is a more interesting indie developer option than Windows. Therefore, Affinity should run on Linux.

15 hours ago, Predrag said:

I do not understand.  

Macos is an axis based on the unix bsd platform.  

What's the problem with doing the linux version?

That is a fair question to ask and while macOS and Linux are Unix-like cousins as we can see from the diagram below, Apple's macOS has very significantly diverged from its BSD origins to become a closed, proprietary operating system that has a kernel that's different from both BSD and Linux, that has a different graphics stack from both BSD and Linux and Apple's own Metal application programming interface is their own hardware acceleration 3D graphic routine that is unlike the Linux and BSD open source equivalents.

Basically, it's just as difficult these days to port software over from macOS to Linux as it is from Windows to Linux.

TheUnices.jpg

Any vfx professionals in here? Most studios use linux and there is a massive hole in the market for a image editing software that supports ocio/32bit editing/exr support. I just cant wrap my mind around how this can be brushed off as a insignificant portion of the market. At the moment we have to juggle nuke licenses which are around 3000-8000 usd per year per seat just to make quick adjustments to hdris or whatever.  Which is insane in crunch time when most of the licenses are legitimately needed to finish shots. 

1 hour ago, neuk said:

Any vfx professionals in here? Most studios use linux and there is a massive hole in the market for a image editing software that supports ocio/32bit editing/exr support. I just cant wrap my mind around how this can be brushed off as a insignificant portion of the market. At the moment we have to juggle nuke licenses which are around 3000-8000 usd per year per seat just to make quick adjustments to hdris or whatever.  Which is insane in crunch time when most of the licenses are legitimately needed to finish shots. 

Then what could happen under those circumstances is such studios banding together and agreeing to fund full time Linux developers at Serif Europe to produce Linux ports of the wanted Affinity softwares that can then be sold back to the studios and a wider audience including the rest of us Linux users here. In the event that such a funding offer is declined, the funding and developers could then be directed at Gimp, etc to bring it up to the same professional standard of Affinity Photo, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop. etc.

Porting is the crux. Forward thinkers had an eye on cross platform support from the get go, I suspect Serif did not.

Unfortunately large studios are more likely to develop their own solutions that fit their precise need than pour money in to a third party who may, or may not, succeed in making a product that ends up on your platform and exactly fits your need.

Would really appreciate a Linux port. The image below was my first piece composited with Affinity and was quite proud of the results. The raster/vector interoperability was such a huge workflow improvement. But I got tired of Windows and switched up to Linux (Elementary OS) and haven't turned back. After that my works were then composited with GIMP but with severe limitations. Adjustment layers are still not implemented in GIMP, so editing is destructive for the most part. Using GIMP/Inkscape isn't always perfect but I'm doing what I can.

collision_30x_small.jpg

1 hour ago, pbaroque20 said:

Would really appreciate a Linux port. The image below was my first piece composited with Affinity and was quite proud of the results. The raster/vector interoperability was such a huge workflow improvement. But I got tired of Windows and switched up to Linux (Elementary OS) and haven't turned back. After that my works were then composited with GIMP but with severe limitations. Adjustment layers are still not implemented in GIMP, so editing is destructive for the most part. Using GIMP/Inkscape isn't always perfect but I'm doing what I can.

collision_30x_small.jpg

Personally, l think it's unfortunate when open source advocates claim that Gimp is the equal of Photoshop, etc, when it quite clearly isn't because it still lacks important and necessary features.

In your case, it might be worth trying out the native Linux Pixeluvo software and/or the Windows version of PhotoLine with CrossOver/Wine and see how you get on with those two softwares.

• Staff
On 4/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, neuk said:

...we have to juggle nuke licenses which are around 3000-8000 usd per year per seat just to make quick adjustments to hdris or whatever...

Is it a stupid question to say why not put Affinity on a few decent macs instead? Don't juggle licenses, just pass the Macbook Pro around. (This is not a generic reply to all the users in this thread, but really specific to this suggestion that the only solution for the company neuk is working for is expensive yearly licenses on Linux). Perhaps there is a really good reason you cannot do this, but I cannot see what it is, no doubt you can help me.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is it a stupid question to say why not put Affinity on a few decent macs instead? Don't juggle licenses, just pass the Macbook Pro around. (This is not a generic reply to all the users in this thread, but really specific to this suggestion that the only solution for the company neuk is working for is expensive yearly licenses on Linux). Perhaps there is a really good reason you cannot do this, but I cannot see what it is, no doubt you can help me.

yeah you would think it would make more sense financially to buy a few *gasp* windows PC's or a few Mac Minis and some licenses of Affinity if it gets the job done. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

That said, the most efficient workflow might be achieved by using the same machine for processing and editing. A positive start along that route might be, for example, looking into how Affinity Photo could possibly work well and CrossOver/Wine and I hope that at some stage a constructive dialogue between the sets of developers concerned can be developed.

Is there any hope for a linux version in 2021-2022?
I use Linux (Fedora) for work, but have to switch to windows when ever i need to use one of the Affinity programs.

I program web pages and web apps, so when ever i get a new design i have to boot windows to cut out the elements and then boot linux again to program.

(Attached an image of my dog for no reason)

My dog

3 hours ago, JonasJonsson said:

Is there any hope for a linux version in 2021-2022?
I use Linux (Fedora) for work, but have to switch to windows when ever i need to use one of the Affinity programs.

I program web pages and web apps, so when ever i get a new design i have to boot windows to cut out the elements and then boot linux again to program.

(Attached an image of my dog for no reason)

My dog

This is only my own view, based on official Serif Europe comments such as on Twitter, and so I think there is little to no chance of getting a native Linux version of any of Affinity products in the near future because of Linux's tiny desktop market share that currently makes it both uneconomic and highly speculative to port over any of the Affinity products to Linux.

That said, I hope that the relevant sets of developers concerned can cooperate to at least see if it is technically possible to get the Affinity softwares to run reasonably well with CrossOver/Wine and l think that is a more realistic objective. For example, the native Windows Photoscape image editor works so well with Wine so that it is now an Ubuntu Snap in the software store.

In the meantime, I'd suggest looking over at the alternativeto(dot)net site to see what other software options are open to you to try out.

1 hour ago, Renzatic said:

I installed Photoline to see what it's all about.

Seems pretty solid from what little I've seen, but man, that interface is like stepping back into 1998. 

But I'll bet you'll find that it pretty much does what Photoshop does and that it's light years ahead of Gimp. If it helps (although they are only in English), there are a couple of introductory guides out there:

http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/PhotoLine/downloads/PhotoLineTutorial.pdf

http://evrencomert.com/PhotoLine.htm

I do know of people who use the old Photoshop CS2 with Wine rather than use Gimp.

58 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Thus far, I'm finding it feels like GIMP, if GIMP were actually good.

Also, I love how the smudge brush is just called "finger."

I've only seen this in forums and on Youtube and it's also apparently possible to run Paint.net on Linux using PlayOnLinux but I've not tried it.

14 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

I've only seen this in forums and on Youtube and it's also apparently possible to run Paint.net on Linux using PlayOnLinux but I've not tried it.

Paint.net is a fairly basic program, isn't it? Nowhere near what AP and Photoshop offer.